RS4 OR 993

The RS6's do seem like excellent value... there are lots for less than that with similar mileage....

RS6's are Auto, which completely ruins it as a performance car.

TBH the 993 isnt really in the same league as the RS4 in terms of performance, and tuning it is an expensive proposition given its NA.

The RS4 is also likely a much more sensible car in terms of servicing and running costs, because a lot of the mechanicals are shared with the A4.

RS6's are Auto, which completely ruins it as a performance car.

TBH the 993 isnt really in the same league as the RS4 in terms of performance, and tuning it is an expensive proposition given its NA.

The RS4 is also likely a much more sensible car in terms of servicing and running costs, because a lot of the mechanicals are shared with the A4.

Now thats just being sensible......

Tough one, but probably the RS4 for me ...... but we are on an Audi forum :yes:

I love the 993 but that one doesnt float my boat particularly .......dont know a huge amount about them but I think its the carrera 4 which is nicer with the wider rear end :uhm:

IIRC, the 993 was the last of the "Manual" buidl porche. With the intor of the 996, they automated much of the process and could ship far higher volumes. That's why the 996 are less desirable, because there are nore of them around.

Also, they are cheaper to maintain, or so I am told, than the 993.

I am seriously temped, and have been for about 3 years, to bin the S4 for a 996/997.

The 993 was the last of the air cooled 911's and is actually the most desireable for Porsche enthusiasts. The on above (ref my link) might only have 250/285 bhp (depends on whether it has varioram) but it smashed 0-60 in 5.4 secs. Its massively entertaining to drive and has an auro an Audi estate car, rs or not, could never match. The sound is awesome and believe it or not running costs as long as you buy a good example are excellent. The running costs Of an rs4 are much higher especially a tuned example with upped bhp. A porshe will always make someone look twice. The 996 is actually considered as quite a boring 911, thats why one (in standard carrera form) is the same price as a 993 when its a newer model, newer car and the mileage isnt near that of some 993's. The attractive thing for me about buying the rs4 would be I could crossdeck a hell of a lot of parts from my car to it without the drama. The rs6 has never done it for me as its an auto and the gearboxes are massively expensive to fix when they die. Like all turbod cars keeping on top of the probs/extra parts they have is sometimes a time consuming and expensive affair. I feel for anyone that needs new k04's on their 4's!! Funny thing is you can buy a 2002 maserati gt for 12k now! Infact for 15k you the choices of used performance cars are huge! Lancia delta evo anyone? Porsche? Masserati? Lotus esprit? Tvr?.....Could take you 6 months to make your mind up BEFORE you even start looking! Lol! Not being a **** or gloating, but its nice to know you can though!

I dunno, i find theres something about porsche drivers that ****** me off. Typically they're in an entry level Carrera, and act like they're driving a supercar. Nearly always stuck up too.

Craigs had a few 911's in his remapped S4, two that spring to mind (a 993 of some description and a 996 Carrera 4S) were doing the usual "i'm in a porsche get out the way" riding his ***, Both ended up rather ****** when they discovered the old yellow Audi was faster than they were.

Mate of mine had a funny run in with a Boxster S back when he had his XE Corsa too, drew upto some lights on a dual carridgeway and the blokes sat there with the roof down his bird in the passenger seat and the shades on. When Al draws up they clearly make some comment about the corsa (noisy pipe, faded red paint and black steels) as both of them look in his direction snickering. So Al blips the throttle and smiles back, waits for the green and drops the boot. Needless to say there was no snickering or looking over when they drew up alongside him at the next set of lights, just a fixed stare in the forward direction from the driver and a ****** off looking bird :p

I like the unassuming nature of the Audi, and the RS4 is the ultimate in discreet performance. Sure it may not be as "fun" as a porsche, but it will certainly be just as capable, has more traction and is much less likely to try and spit you into a hedge!

Sorry mate, didnt even know i disliked this post!! I blame my phone!
As im here.... This bloke at work has a 911 as a toy, not exactly sure which one, about 15 years old i think. Anyway, most people think hes a knob when he brings it in! As nice a car as it is, its hard not to look a prat in a posche! Keep cool and get an rs4! Sorry again for disliking you, its lies!

Probably Rs4 from the 2 shown, but I would seriously consider one of the others you mentioned, lancia or masserati, I've owned a lancia delta 16v I thought it was truly amazing with looks and performance the evo looks even better, would definatley test drive one if you havent all ready.

Out of the 2 shown, prefer the RS4 myself. Have to be a more specced up, slightly newer porsche for me personally.

Other options, love the Lancia Delta Evo, very rare car now. As you say, plenty more, Masserati etc. TVR Cerbera have came right down on price, V8 aswell. E60 M5 is creeping down, around the 18-20K mark.

So many i'd look into first and go have some test drives, but it really is a personal choice!

its not all about trying to leave porsches for dead , especially in the corsa story , when i had my old E30 M3 cecotto i used to have boy racers challenge me in their chavved up rubbish and i deliberatly used to go slow or turn left ! now that ****** them off even more , just dont bite with their silly games is the moral, i think id have the 993 as they were the last classic 911 , dont like the slab sided 996 at all

^ Yes and no. Half of the time, in my experience, owners of some cars look down their noses and almost make it a mission to show up "the inferior car". It's on these occasions I like to try and show them otherwise. E36 M3, Subaru and Boxster drivers were often ripe for a bit of humbling. I've never gone out looking to leave anything for dead, and if I'm not as quick as teh other car I can actually smile about whereas half of the other guys just look so offended and bemused when they are shown a clean set of heels

An RS4 is not a discreet/stealthy "street sleeper". One look at those wide arches and you know its a monster. Was looking at BMW 335i's on a 06/07 plate (new model/facelift). Lovely things, after a remap almost M3 quick (without the premium! Bonus!). The thing thats stopping me with the porker is the fact its 16 nearly 17 years old. Ok ok its the classic and probably best water cooled 911 ever made and the things a classic. My intention never was to leave lesser cars for dead or to be a smug ****er, just to own and enjoy such a nice engine and chassis (the sound comes close to an Audi 5 pot turbo'd engine in terms of giving you a smile for the sound it makes!). Not a fan of the newer 996. Might as well buy a boxster, but that would NEVER happen. Hate the things (but not as much as scoobys or evo's...). Although the 993's have bombproof engines and vert tough interiors, due to its age I can still imagine it would be a costlt affair to keep on top of purely due to age. If I do decide on the RS4 it would defo of had to have its K04's done and the cambelt. A really nicely looked after and cared for example maybe lightly tuned (remap/exhaust/pipes). Been looking at the Maseratis and although they are cheap the reason seems to be because of servicing and maintenance (expensive). Still looking.........

if you have another car get the 911
if it is your only car get the RS4.

993 C2 in black with tan leather is my dream car personally, but I will always own a 4WD (and not in a porsche format)

i would be worried about the pace of a non-turbo porsche, the ones ive came up against, even a 997 carrera 4s (which is pretty much the fastest non-turbo 'normal' 911) and was quite surprised with how i was pulling on it.

while it may not all be about the go, i understand that the handling and feel of a 911 will be much better than a B5 audi, but i couldnt get round the fact that your in a car that looks fast, that isnt.

so, Turbo 911, or the RS4. (B6 S4 with supercharge sounds very nice also tho!)

Yes I will be keepin my 2.8 regardless. Done too much to her to let her go for say £2000 (or less) and wouldnt want to break her for parts. The B6 is a good idea, but the mrs has got a 3.0 ltr B6 avant quattro and I don't think it has any character. It's a very plain car. Obvo it's not a v8 but chassis wise and looks wise I'm not keen. Have been looking at 4's but they remind me too much of my car with wide arches and 400 BHP under the hood. The careers 2 might not be lightning but it still does 0-60 in the mid 5's. It's a car with soul and a true performance classic. They don't deprecciate too much either (wish I could afford the turbo-but 50k!!!). Thanks for the feedback gents.

I would have a 993 over an RS4 anyday. Would love to have either but the 993 is much more special to me.

Is the nicest shape porsche and looks so much smaller than 997's. The 993's are creeping up in value now and for a decent c4s you could have a 996 c4s thats about 6 years newer.

I think you need to spend nearer than 20k to get a nice one though so for 15k I would have the RS4.

I would be tempted by an e46 M3 for about 14k though, few years newer and will have about 60% of the miles of that RS4. Think you could find a better RS4 for that money to be fair though.

I've been in contact with that guy and its actually a very well looked after and clean example. Take my A4, it might have done 145.000 miles but the thing is as near perfect as when it left the factory. If a cars been looked after mileage is not a factor. If all ugly faults have been rectified when they rear their heads and maintenance has been done regardless of cost then it really dont matter! This guy assures me its absolutely spot on and gave me the numbers of the garages that have done work on it recently. I've called them and they confirm what he tells me.....Happy days! The only prob with this is my limited parking! I've thought about this and my property really cant accomodate 3 cars. Even on the road (I only have 1 driveway parking space). Its like ****** parking wars where I live! I would have to either sell my car and lose about 5k that I have spent on parts,upgrades and maintainance or break it for parts which would actually really **** me off! lol! I would only get about 2k for it if I'm lucky-and i bet whomever it went to would break it for parts anyway!.....I like the RS2's, but have never wanted one. They are too 80's/very old looking. A true classic agreed, and ****** greased lightning, but not my cup of tea. I want a car that I used to pin up in my bedroom when I was a kid (RS4/993/TVR/).

Last edited:
No, Only got a back garden and no front. Single driveway sh1tbust! Could park one a couple 100 metres from my house but dont really fancy that!