3.2 questions

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Hola chaps!!

I have a colleague looking at the 3.2 units, either in an A3 or R32 incarnation (mk5).... I have sporadic info on them, knowing there was an issue with timing chains at some point? Can anyone offer any advice on what to look for regards both these cars - hes currently preferring an 06 plate mk5 @ 12k with 60k on clock in black with a good spec list

I havent priced against the market yet so any comments on any of the above are welcome including opinions on what you would go for :)

Tim

Hey Tim. You will get lots of peeps adding to this lol

The timing chains can be an issue to some but not all. They can be checked through VCDS. Some stretched and cause problems, fairly costly to replace as its gear box out etc. Other issue have been the hesitation on these units. An ECU update from Audi sorts it straight away. Audi dont want to do it but have done it to a few of the A3s on here, mine included. They are a little thirsty but tbh not that bad. Check the inner CV joints, mine were worn beyond belief. Other than that its a great engine to choose from but as said before some will not agree lol Me I love mine so much so ive shipped it to Oz so it cant be that bad! Hope he finds a good one.

cheers Sarah, hes just wacked a deposit on the R32 at lunch, what would i look for on VCDS? is it a fault under the engine management?

Yeah you can check the blocks to see what reading you get, if I remember right -8 is a sign of stretch/wear. Mine was a -7 but after an oil change went to -6 so go figure!!! No idea why.

Check measuring blocks 208 and 209 iirc, should be up to 8 but no more. Mine are at 2 and 3 after the chains were done and have stayed there for the last 18 months. It could still be in the "faulty chain batch" with an 06 but probably not tbh

right, cheers Sarah/Ju

So i enter those blocks, do i need to drive the car, rev it or are these solid values that will be in there on start up?

Nah, just go into the blocks with the ignition lights on, the values won't change

If I remember rightly there was a problem with the chains between 2003-2005?(might be wrong). The problem was weakened chains - the manufacturer of the chains printed their logo on the chain links which decreased the durability/strength of the links causing them to stretch and in some instances break(expensive nightmare but rare!).

Is the car your mate has a deposit on manual or DSG? If its DSG there are a few other checks that should be made...

Just to second what Sarah has said - awesome car, especially when mated to DSG, just check it over thoroughly :)

right ok thanks guys....

it is indeed DSG, what other checks are required?

Check service history and look for DSG oil and filter changes having taken place at roughly 40k (and every 40k thereafter). Check that gear shifts are smooth and there are no 'clunks' when shifting. Problems are most noticeable from cold start and from stand still to 'crawl'.

cheers Hellz, ill give that a bash before he pays the balance

it should have been done as the previous owner has the last £1200 service bill which sounds excessive, im yet to see what was done but id imagine the DSG would have been included - will check to be safe though

Check it has a turbo if it hasn`t fit one as your then have one of the best cars on the road.

Some DSGs have had mechatronic unit issues so just make sure you get a good test drive and see how the gear go. As said above, check the oils have been done every 40k and theres no loud clunking. Mine did clunk in reverse but luckily for me was just the brakes not seated properly!

S
The reason you blocks improved after an oil change is the timing chain has a hydraulic tensioner.

Yeah and I hope they stay ok!!! Will cost the earth out here to get them done!!! lol

Hows Smelly these days?? I cant wait to get in mine, been ages!!!

Everything s fine here s :) I am amazed animal is not trying to talk his mate out of a 3.2 !! After all its a nose heavy car with an end of the line crap engine...he told me so :)

lol, hey sure he didnt mean it really!!! Anyway he'd be wrong, they aint that nose heavy but are a dam good car!!! Glad alls good with you.

Yea it was after that i found out the V6 weights less than 2.5 5cyl they are putting in the RS3 :think::lmfao:

Everything s fine here s :) I am amazed animal is not trying to talk his mate out of a 3.2 !! After all its a nose heavy car with an end of the line crap engine...he told me so :)

lol Pads, I didn't once try to talk him out of it.....shocked myself!

He's bought it now, I went down with him to check everything, it had a reading of 1 IIRC and a couple of fault codes (Lamba weak signal) and h/l washers - nice looking motor those R32's