77 - Telephone Fault Codes

Argee

Roadcrafty
Reaction score
Hi, first post.

I have an RNS 510 (Columbus) unit and a replaced Bluetooth module (5N0 035 730 D) in my 2009 Superb II Elegance 170 CR DSG.

I have the latest fully-registered version of VCDS and - following an autoscan - I get the following faults:

9457427 - Negative output audio channel for speech/telephone
B104F 13 [009] - Open Circuit.

9457939 - Telephone Baseplate
B1051 13 [024] - Open Circuit.

9458193 - Control Module for Cellular Telephone
B1052 14 [024] - Short to Ground

13636352 - Control Module Not Coded.
U1013 00 [024] - -

I replaced the original module for greater mobile pairing flexibility, on the basis that the new one would work straight away without coding (as other reported) - which it did. However, I'd still like to know why these fault codes appear and - if possible - how to deal with them.

Many thanks in advance.

Ray

If you stuck a different module in, then it would most likely need coding, they sometimes come blank therefore have to be coded as per your cars specification/systems.

Also please show the whole log not just the short parts.

Here's the only part of the whole log with any fault codes:

Address 77: Telephone (J412) Labels: 3C8-035-730-A.clb
Part No SW: 5N0 035 730 D HW: 5N0 035 730 D
Component: Telefon 009 0511
Revision: -------- Serial number: 35909603069220
Coding: 020000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_UHVPremi A01005
ROD: EV_UHVPremi_SK46.rod
VCID: 295C611FF969

6 Faults Found:
B104F 13 [009] - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 11
Reset counter: 66
Mileage: 23096 km
Date: 2023.14.23
Time: 10:56:47

9458451 - Cellular Antenna:
B1053 13 [008] - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 94

9457937 - Telephone baseplate
B1051 11 [008] - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 1

9457939 - Telephone baseplate
B1051 13 [009] - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 54
Time: 11:01:03

Freeze Frame:
Time: 10:56:46

13636352 - Control Module Not Coded
U1013 00 [024] - -
Freeze Frame:

Ray

Its not even coded, code it 1st then come back with issues.

You do realise this is an audi forum right, just noting :)

Oh dear we have got out of bed the wrong side, dont get all arsey/sarcastic about things fella, the mere fact I chose to respond to you shows willingness to help, I'm far from a badge snob as most will advise on here, so get that out of your head, did you not see the smiley face I put on end of my last post, usually in most forums I peruse, not just audi, thats a sign of being friendly, not up our backsides, so I suggest you do about face with your attitude & read the replies for what they are or you will find quickly people will avoid trying to help you futurewise & not just on this forum.

You as with everybody else are most welcome on here, just no need for that reply at all, as I see nothing within my posts that would enfuse such a silly reply.

If you were aware of it not being coded, then why didnt you code it 1st using the RT helper that usually pops up for your specific module installed, usually when people show signs of knowledge about vcds they're aware of how to use the system & that a new module requires coding, so are you saying there is no popup advising which coding is available for your module?

If so, it maybe there isnt a label file for that specific module & you may have to send a scan into RT for them to create one for you.

Are you knowledgable using VCDS or new to the system?

On another note, you're just down the road from me, I was going to offer to help you sort it out, I live in E Sussex aswell & used to live in crowborough.

If you were aware of it not being coded, then why didnt you code it 1st using the RT helper that usually pops up for your specific module installed, usually when people show signs of knowledge about vcds they're aware of how to use the system & that a new module requires coding, so are you saying there is no popup advising which coding is available for your module?

If so, it maybe there isnt a label file for that specific module & you may have to send a scan into RT for them to create one for you.

Are you knowledgable using VCDS or new to the system?

On another note, you're just down the road from me, I was going to offer to help you sort it out, I live in E Sussex aswell & used to live in crowborough.
Unreserved apologies - I am having a really frustrating day but that's no excuse for going off on one - sorry.

Part of the frustration is that although I have the latest VCDS, my ability with it is severely limited. I can do a scan, select specific modules, clear fault codes from modules, but that's about it. I've only used the helper once - to change country in the Bit 4 window - but I was not aware of any pop-up or other help facility.

I had thought that the Bluetooth module would work on installation without coding (as was stated elsewhere), which it did. However, having seen the scan results on the module, I then thought that if I did code it, the other faults might be inherent with the non-coded state and disappear, hence my request for assistance. I'm aware that a little knowledge is dangerous, but I'm computer-literate and realise that there are some things I can do safely, others not.

I hope that clarifies my familiarity with VCDS, which - in hindsight - might have helped if I'd stated it up front. :blush:

Ray

Update

OK - the coding 020100000100000000000000 sorted out the "Not Coded" fault.

I'm left with

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

I'll check the mounting and wiring connections next.

Last edited:
Unreserved apologies - I am having a really frustrating day but that's no excuse for going off on one - sorry.

I hope that clarifies my familiarity with VCDS, which - in hindsight - might have helped if I'd stated it up front. :blush:

Everybody has a bad day, I'll put it down to that :p

Thanks for the apology, was bit taken back tbh as couldnt see where I'd been rude or nasty at all, anyway todays a new day & new week, lets forget about that & move forward.

Update

OK - the coding 020100000100000000000000 sorted out the "Not Coded" fault.

I'm left with

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

I'll check the mounting and wiring connections next.

Somethings either amiss with wiring or its coded for a feature that isnt available or wired in mate, I'll see if I can stur up someone else I know who maybe has more knowledge on this car, his names VRStu btw, I'll PM him see if he can assist, leave this with me.

Hope you're in better spirits today :)

Was gonna ask admin to rename your username to Argee Bargee :p

I can't get the label file to tell me anything so best thing I can suggest is to email dana @ ross-tech.com and ask her if she can help.

I received the email and the Control Module for Cellular Telephone fault may be resolved by enabling the "Operating Unit for Cell Phone Preparation (3-Button Keypad) inactive" bit. If the vehicle has that 3 button overhead console it wouldn't work any longer, but I'd like to know if the fault code is resolved either way.

Most of the 9W7 retrofits into MY 2009 or older vehicles without factory RCD/RNS radios have to disable the Multimedia Function (Bluetooth Audio) feature to resolve the Negative output audio channel for speech/telephone fault. I believe this is the lack of wiring to and from the unit, but a wiring diagram for this specific vehicle and observation at the connectors themselves would confirm that.

Try enabling Multimedia Function inactive bit as well to see if the code is resolved. If you use the BT media streaming, look into the lack of wire theory and let me know what you find.

As promised - here's the report back!

I followed your instructions, implementing the long coding as suggested. Result: NO FAULTS AT ALL! :)

That's a "Yabba-Dabba-Do" moment for me - thanks a lot.

Ray

Excellent - Another great reason why owning a genuine RT cable is worth the money. :applaus:

Dana - I tried to load up this code into LongCode and open the label file but I couldn't see any descriptions in the check boxes. Is this because I wasn't connected to the unit? Often I can raise the coding by doing as above and help people but in this case (latest Beta release) I couldn't see anything.

Last edited:
I believe this is the lack of wiring to and from the unit, but a wiring diagram for this specific vehicle and observation at the connectors themselves would confirm that.

Thats what I put it down to tbh Dana.

Thanks for your input guys, got there in end Argee :)

Excellent - Another great reason why owning a genuine RT cable is worth the money. :applaus:

Dana - I tried to load up this code into LongCode and open the label file but I couldn't see any descriptions in the check boxes. Is this because I wasn't connected to the unit? Often I can raise the coding by doing as above and help people but in this case (latest Beta release) I couldn't see anything.

Yeap totally worth it IMHO, said as a user not a seller :)

I checked the label file folder & think you maybe tried 1 of 2 things mate, to load a cbl which afaik shouldnt load aything as its encrypted & needs car connected with said module or you opened the label file that has the redirect to the cbl file according to what I see anyway, so no actual coding info, I'm sure Dana will clarify :)

Thanks for the update! If you happen to want / use BT music media streaming and look at that wiring please let me know what you find!

My personal car, a 2010 US market Golf Gti, had the low line 9W2 factory installed system with BT music streaming and overhead 3 button console. When I upgraded to the 9W7, still a step below your (9WZ ?) unit, it was plug, code and play without any issues.

Niles and Stu, yes .clb files are encrypted and they cannot be loaded off a car. You need to be connected to a vehicle using that module and most current version of VCDS to view the data. We don't want to be like that, but due to the pirates and other scan tool companies who like to steal all of our data .... we can't issue this in a open .lbl any longer.

Ray, please see if you got the email reply on Friday. I just noticed the reply to and address at the bottom of the email were different.

-Dana-

Niles and Stu, yes .clb files are encrypted and they cannot be loaded off a car. You need to be connected to a vehicle using that module and most current version of VCDS to view the data. We don't want to be like that, but due to the pirates and other scan tool companies who like to steal all of our data .... we can't issue this in a open .lbl any longer.

Niles? Frasier finished years ago :p Nigel will do today lol

Yeah totally understandable tbh, I fully support anything that stops the counterfeits of VCDS.

Dana @ Ross-Tech said:
Thanks for the update! If you happen to want / use BT music media streaming and look at that wiring please let me know what you find!

Ray, please see if you got the email reply on Friday. I just noticed the reply to and address at the bottom of the email were different.

-Dana-
Adding to the wiring for something I won't use is not likely to happen any time soon, sorry! :)

Yes, I received the Friday e-mail and have registered as suggested.

Many thanks for all the help!

Ray

Niles? Frasier finished years ago :p Nigel will do today lol

Oh No ... I'm very sorry! Typically I'm the one mistaken for a man in forums and salty about it. The wrong name is worse by far, but thanks for the good attitude ;-)