1.8T LOUD TAPPING NOISE AFTER REBUILD

AGU-TURBO

Audi a3 1.8t AGU
Reaction score
Hi everyone rebuilt my head and now have a loud tapping noise, sounds lifters but unsure. i have fitted new cam chain tensioner, cam chain, cam belt kit with new tensioner. All the lifters were stripped and cleaned. I have spent over £400 on this over the last 2 weeks and im well pi**ed. i hace checked the clearances with a feeler gauge and the is no gap in any of the lifters

ANY IDEAS AS I STUMPED. MANY THANKS

i also took the spark plugs out and turned it of on the starter to bring oil preasure up before starting, Left it runnung for about 30 min then took it out for a couple of miles and the noise is still there

Thats funny cause i have the same problem..

Mines been fully rebuilt.. when we first struck it up it was a right noise.. Instantly thought lifters.. so popped cams out and changed the inlets.. put back together and started yet again.. loads quieter but noise was still there

I got another set of exhaust lifters and just waiting to hear back.. Fingers crossed its that, I just put it down to the lifters been out the engine for 6 months...

You should look at Welly's thread, as he noticed the mistake before he put it back on.

Oops! a bit vague, the timing was wrong. when the valves were placed back in.

i havn't had the valves out, ive just chucked some engine flush in hoping it would thin the oil down enough for the lifter to pressurise, changed filter oil and started up and sounds exactly the same, lol. ive checked the timing and its 100%.

As you have posted a thread about stripping and cleaning your followers, (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...rebuild-clean-hydraulic-lifters-vag-1-8t.html) I would suggest they are the issue here... I have seen sets on ebay for as little as 70 ish quid new... I paid a bit more than that getting them from Integrated Engineering in the states but if it didn't make this noise before and you have 'stripped and cleaned' your followers I would almost put money on the followers being the culprit here...

<tuffty/>

Last edited: