Clocks???

customknight

Reaction score
Website
www.signaturecustoms.co.uk
Hey guys,

My A4 only has the basic clocks in it with the 4 warning lamps in the centre, revs, speedo, fuel and water temp. Can I fit either the computer screen clocks (and have a functional outside temp gauge as this is all i really want it for) or the other version of the standard clocks but with the oil and volts gauges included, without any modification or a new ecu etc?

Its the only thing I don't like about my car and I want to change it.

Thanks
CK

So long as you buy clocks from the same era then yes.

Easiest way to compare is to go by the clock. Some clocks have digits and some dont.

If you buy a DIS clock you'll need to add the wires for the outside temp sensor and also the stalk to control it, as these wont be present on your car.

if any one is interested.
I went through the above link and got the pin outs of cluster 2 and 3.
Put them in to a spreadsheet and matched up the pin outs the best I can and it seems like a very do able task fitting a 00 cluter in to a 98 dash.
if any one want to take alook PM me and i'll email it to you.
I'm tempted to get the correct facelift cluster and try it.

some of the signals are completely different. Oil temp for instance is combined with the level sensor signal on a '00, whereas '98 doesnt have a level sensor and has a discreet oil temp sensor in the housing.

'00 Also has IMMO3, which you may haver problems pairing up with an IMMO1/2 ECU

some of the signals are completely different. Oil temp for instance is combined with the level sensor signal on a '00, whereas '98 doesnt have a level sensor and has a discreet oil temp sensor in the housing.

Could you fit a '00 temp/level sensor in to a '98 engine?
I have no idea how the sensors work though. lol

'00 Also has IMMO3, which you may haver problems pairing up with an IMMO1/2 ECU
Going by the above link, the early '99-'00 did not have the immo but the later '00s did.
I'm trying to double check that but my internet is being rubbish.

All UK cars have an immobiliser. Yanks didnt get them for some reason, so in that respect that thread is incorrect for us.

I guess you could swap in a '00 sump pan with sensor, and add the appropriate wires, but its most definitely way beyond plug and play at that stage.

All UK cars have an immobiliser. Yanks didnt get them for some reason, so in that respect that thread is incorrect for us.
I keep forgetting the yanks have it differently to us on some things.

Has any paired a Immo3 to a Immo1/2 ECU?
Is it even possible?
I guess you could swap in a '00 sump pan with sensor, and add the appropriate wires, but its most definitely way beyond plug and play at that stage.
Yeah, it is a bit beyound plug and play.
I need to drop the sump to fix a leak. :D

But the amount of work thats needed for a the facelift clock is not really worth the hassle unless you get one cheap.
What are the differences between the two, digi clock, door opening and thats it?

doubt you'll get door opening either, as the early harness wont be wired for it?

I'm sure some golf folk have put immo3 clusters in immo2 cars, so maybe it does work.

doubt you'll get door opening either, as the early harness wont be wired for it?
VCDS registeres each door being open, so I assume it will.
but no reason why you can't run the wires from the door pins, depending on how it gets the signal I guess.

I'm sure some golf folk have put immo3 clusters in immo2 cars, so maybe it does work.
I can't seem to find much, i'll take a better look at home.

If you find any thing can you PM me please?

i guess it depends how the door pins are interfaced with the cluster. It might be a bus type signal from the central locking ECU rather than individual wires from each door going to the cluster.

i guess it depends how the door pins are interfaced with the cluster. It might be a bus type signal from the central locking ECU rather than individual wires from each door going to the cluster.

That's true, it is something needs a bit of looking in to and playing about.
It is a cool little project if you got the time and spares.

One for the back burner.

Thanks very much for the info, although now it has got very complex!! I'll stick with the Cluster 1 with all the bells adn whistles. I'm really not that bothered about a digital clock tbh! :)