If i didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck!!!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Getting sick of this A4 now.

On a plus note it did PASS it's MOT today!!!

BUT............

Whilst it was up in the air on the ramps, the radiator decided to blow....scalding a worker who was looking around underneath it!! Fortunately he is ok, just a little burnt!

So now it needs a new radiator!! just my foobarring luck!!

Oh, the clio past its mot first time! only one advisory! A cheap french piece of poo that cost me £150!! Thats gutting too! lol

Dan

glad your over the emmisions hurdle, thats a good price for a new rad

No matter what goes with my a4 I wouldn't say I'm sick of it, I look at it as my cars saying it's sick of me nailing it lol

Well, i wouldn't mind if i had been able to nail my car! lol, at least i'd have an excuse for fixing something i broke!

Got a new rad today from GSF for £69 inc vat! So i'm happy today lol.

Fitting it tomorrow and taxing on sunday as i dont wanna lose over 3weeks tax for two days!

Dan

So long as its sorn you can buy a tax disk now for next month, just need to promise you wont drive it before then.

Found out today why the car failed its mot on emissions......a previous owner has gutted the cats! only found out as i went to weigh them in as scrap and the guy checked them. Nothing inside!! I've kept them just incase anyway. On another note, if they were intact, he would of paid only £2 per CAT!! YES!! £2!!!!! :scared2:

A bloke took a cat from a pug 406 in while i was there and he only got £2 too!!

£2 squid thats it?

Happened on our old FWD when i baught it.

Couple of months before its first MOT there was a council emissions testing van parked up in sainsburys offering people free emissions tests and advice, so i got the bloke to test it after my brother had commented the car smelt very fuelly from behind.

It failed, with good lambda and HC values, but high CO around 0.5%. The bloke in the van suggested i give the car a service and fit new spark plugs as it had only just failed, but the numbers looked too similar to a previous decatted car i had, so i assumed the cat was just worn out, and made a note to change it before the MOT.

As you, i got a nice surprise when i removed it to find nothing inside. New cat went on and it passed the MOT just fine.

Oddly the bolts holding it on were seriously rusty, so the gutted cat must have been on there for a good number of years!

I dont understand why you would de-cat an N/A engine though? There isn't any serious gain to be made, unlike on a tubby car.

Or am I wrong? Is there some serious gain that i'm now missing out on due to have cats in situ?!?

I suspect its more that often when cats fail they become blocked. So you can either replace them for ££££, or smash the insides out for free.

There will be a slight increase in power regardless of the engine being NA or turbocharged.

it doesnt/didnt sound any different with old gutted cats and new cats on though? But the system is original and i do want to alter it. Well i brought them home so i can toy with the idea of adjust the exhaust.

Wont removing the cats affect the fuelling and lambda?! I only have a sensor before the not after. Plus i'm only getting 24mpg driving it steady already!!

the cats dont affect the fuelling. the engine uses the lambda sensor to run a mixture suitable for cat equipped engines, which is typically leaner than a non-cat engine, and is typically optimised for economy too.

With a standard exhaust you wont notice the difference in the sound. But if you fitted an aftermarket system there would be a notable difference between the two.