just got my first a3 but got a few probs

davidniclee

Reaction score
hello im new on here and as above just got my first a3 1.8turbo 1998 s reg there is quite a few probs with it and not sure how to go about sorting them wont list them all now because things will get confuesing but here is a couple

1 temp gauge sits a 60-70 when im driving but when i stop it goes to 90 then all of a sudden it will drop back down to 60-70 when i start driving again

2 the computer in the dash by the clocks not sure of its proper name but anyway this goes of then bleeps then comes back on quite a lot when im driving there is also a icon at the top of it looks like a little box with water coming out the top so i thought washer jets but thay are full and the temp on it at the top reads f can i change it to degrees c and there is a mph bit which is always on 22mph and there is a few lines across it

3 and one more for now when i start the car there is a smell of petrol carnt pin point where the smell is coming from but can smell it all round the car

well there is a lot more but thats a few for now thanks in advance will be very greatful for any hlp at all thanks dave

your thermostat is dud, dont worry very cheap to fix thats why it comes up to temp when at traffic lights etc but goes down to 70ish when driving, the bleeping with mph with cross is nothing it has been set probobly by accident as a speeding warning easily set by buttons on your dash .read your manual pal can be changed not to bleep easily with the buttons sticking out below your speedo and rev counter. im always getting mine to bleep when i hit a certain speed when ive been messing with buttond to re set speedomiter or changing clock time.

1) Very common issue which points to the thermostat unless the temperature changes intemittently regardless if your moving then that will be the temperature sender but from what youve said im fairly confident its the thermostat there only 7 quid and takes about 20 mins to do yourself if your fairly competant with a socket set.

2) Refered to as the DIS (driver information system) Sounds like your low wash fluid warning is coming on and off mine does this as there is a leak in the system the symbol you decribe is the wash fluid warning. the 22mph thing is your average speed sisne you reset the DIS (press and hold the little button under the right indicator stalk).

3) Unsure on this one but ive heard of similar problems on the forums im sure someone will have the answer.

Breezey

well the termostat fix sounds good but with the computer thing the computer goes off completely like goes black then comes back on with a bleep like when you first start the car and the mph thing has changed from 0mph to the 22mph in the last 2 two days of me driving it also i dont have any manuals with the car i had nothing iv been on the net nearly every day trying to fine stuff out bt havent found much and there is a reset button on the underside of the right stork but nothing hapens when i press it iv tryed 1 quick press which turns the computer off and a long press but nothing happens is there any links for how to program the computer thanks for your help so far

A long press will reset the speed back to 0mph or if you have it on another mode like MPG it will reset that.

A long press will reset the speed back to 0mph or if you have it on another mode like MPG it will reset that.

on the dis there is 2 mpgs one with a little symbol next to it on the left and one without the symbol the one without the symbol was reading 200mpg the other day i wish lol and iv pressed the button for 5sec 10sec 20sec and longer but noting at all happens

Try Audi or Ebay for an owners manual. Also, just a thought, but with your DIS going off or going dim check your battery. I know a knacked battery can cause strange things.

DC

3rd one have a look at a post from today about petrol smell.....evap cannister left hand side next to coolant bottle, look for split corrugated plastic pipe on the connectors...
Use some commers in your posts lol, very hard to read..

on the dis there is 2 mpgs one with a little symbol next to it on the left and one without the symbol the one without the symbol was reading 200mpg the other day i wish lol and iv pressed the button for 5sec 10sec 20sec and longer but noting at all happens

The one without the circle with a line through it is real time MPG and cannot be reset you can only reset average mpg which is the other one with the symbol next to it.