Your thoughts please, C5 rs6

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
Now I was bored at work yesterday so I had a little look round some of the other (read lesser) Audi forums :p

And I found a c5 RS6 for £12,995, enthuisiast owned with a list of stuff done etc etc. Audi : Stunning Audi RS6 Avant

Not to bad I thought, so for a laugh I thought I'd see how much it would be for me to insure it - £1,100 quite a lot but not crazy & probably less than a fully modded s3. Now by the time Ive hybrided my s3 and sorted everything out I could spend £10k - £11k on buying it, insuring and modding it. Or I could stop now and save for the RS6 which wouldn't happen over night.

What are peoples thoughts on tuning instead of buying an rs6, I didnt even know you could get them at that price!? I know the running costs will be more but how much more are we talking? Then when I get over having no money hello remap :drool:.

Your thoughts my esteemed cohorts?

Bill had one in a while back for a Revo stage 1... bloke had it with a recipt for 10k to change the gearbox!!!

Just remember they may be a 12k car to buy but still a 60k car to fix!!

<tuffty/>

Lovely car, think of the big running cost, Tax band for that car is nearly £430 plus. maintenance, Mapping it is twice as expensive as the gearbox needs mappaing as well. heavy car therefore on top of the auto and big engine it will drain your bank balance out with fuel.

If I was after a bigger powered car I would go the RS4 route.

10k wow! makes by £700 bill for a gearbox change look tiny lol!

I just thought it would be fudging cool, awful lot of car for the money. Although (broadbrush figures) 340 brake s3 @1.5 tonnes = 226.67 bhp/tonne, 450 brake rs6 @ 2 tonnes = 225 bhp/tonne.

Oooh, Misano with Hi-Tech - nice combo.

A guy I went to school with (who now works in this building) has a Misano RS6 (saloon) and I must admit I admire it on the way in to work most mornings, it's always gleaming. He also has an old Passat so he doesn't have to use the RS6 all the time.

I too have considered the C5 RS6... just too expensive to run and not as 'chuckable' as the S3 or even B5 RS4.
For those reasons alone i'd go for a B5 RS4 over a C5 RS6.

:)

failed gearbox 3k (exchange 1.5k)
failed drc suspension - £1.2k

cambelt - 1.2k
brakes pads & disc- 1k
tyres £200 a side

fuel 17-25mpg , 300-400 to an 80 litre tank @ £110 a go

but its bonkers, 450bhp standard, rather that than "Modding" an S3

Nice motor, but prefer the RS4. A friend of mine runs an S8 and the best mpg he gets is about 26 if thats any help to an idea of running costs.

Suspension replaced,
new brakes,
new tyres,
Itll probably need a cambelt soon though, meh i was just an idea, an awesome amazing sex on wheels idea. At least I can afford to fix the s3 lol.

I'd get one simple lol. I know if anything goes wrong its gonna cost ALOT and tax, insurance and fuel gonna be more but they are amazing cars and in a different league. Sames goes for the B5 RS4 both will put a smile on your face and show alot of modern cars up on the road. I think the styling on the both are good and they dont look out dated when you see them. I wanted this one till i lost my job
2001 AUDI RS4 RS4 Quattro 5dr Avant

You need to budget 5-10k a year just to run/service an RS6, and that does not include fuel costs!

If you want some big power get an S4/RS4, they are much cheaper to run than an RS6 (but still expensive!)

My S4 is 482bhp, I drive it every day and averages 18mpg with a mix of all driving styles.
Its got an RS4 engine apart from the bottom end, so basically RS4 running costs are the same apart from them being a little more on insurance.
15k will get you a very well sorted RS4, 8k will get you a very good spec K04 S4

Mine:
Lilford2.jpg

Last edited:
My boss's bro has a stunning RS6, but it's apparently a nightmare to own/run. Just about everything is ridiculously expensive. It probably doesn't help that he's running at 500+bhp but just though I'd throw it in there.

A generic remap will see over 500bhp on an RS6, thats nothing really.
I need to get to MRC to have my map tweeked and I'll have the magic 500 too, you dont need an RS6 to get big power ;)

Lovely example that but is it worth 4K more? It would just be amazing to roll around in a proper RS audi. I'll wait and see if I start getting paid loads more money lol

It is lovely and a nice colour to. Is it worth the extra doubt it very much lol. Haha good luck fella on what ever you decide

Yeah the s3 can stay, I've got to have something to aim for in a few years time. Thanks for the input though I didn't quite get how much more it would be to run lol.

Hence why they are so cheap to buy these days ;)
Not many people want such huge costs for a car getting on for 10 years old.

yarp i went in to JBS at the back end of 2010, they had an RS6 in and its a massive job removing the gearbox/clutch if it goes, something like 30 man hours which dwarfs the quoted 11 man hours for an S3 box - which is high enough!!

I considered one for a moment, then ventured to that end of the forum and decided against it after reading the fuel consumption comments etc, that and the fact that id priced RS4 consumables such as discs and realised that its an entirely different league to what we're in

Definitely!
The gap between S3 and RS4 is also then another gap the same size from RS4 to RS6!
Running an RS4 is very expensive, and an RS6 is VERY VERY expensive....

Dane, me and Nilzy had a ride in a local 550bhp RS6 before the owner sold it, it was a rocket ship, but he was so scared of killing the gearbox though, he never launches it from a standstill, only full throttle whilst in motion! I think he was getting 15mpg max with his driving style, and he said replacement brakes are not cheap neither, plus they don't last long due to the weight of it!

Nice machine and all that, but like tuffty says, it's a 60k car to run!

yarp i went in to JBS at the back end of 2010, they had an RS6 in and its a massive job removing the gearbox/clutch if it goes, something like 30 man hours which dwarfs the quoted 11 man hours for an S3 box - which is high enough!!

Yea the RS6 clutch job is a real struggle, its a nitemare to even find it!! lol.

On a serious note to get the box out of one of them you have to drop the complete engine & box together then split them out of the car, not a nice job I tell you but when its all back together and on the road there mucho fun, when the auto box kicks down & lands you right into 2 K04's doing there thing it is one hell of a kick in ****, Defo love them cars but wouldn't have one I'm afraid.

Ewan.