puddle lights fitted in 1 hour!

swarcup

Reaction score
This is what i did and am taking no responsibility if you blow something, if you are nervous then disconnect the battery, but in all reality its simple

I just thought i would share the easy way to fit puddle lights. This only applies to cars with the red marker lights already fitted.

First of all i took a trip to my local scrap yard and removed the puddle lights from a couple of passats as the lights are the same ones. I got 6 in all for £10,(beats the 7.50 each from audi) 4 for the doors and 2 for the footwell lights.

Its a myth that you need to remove the door cards. i simply cut the puddle light hole out while on the car using a drill and stanley knife. Next step was to pop out the red light and then i poked through a length of garden wire from the red light hole to the puddle light hole and pulled the puddle light wire back through to the same hole that the red light fits in. next was to simply scotchlok the wires onto the ones for the red light. pop them back in. close the door and re open to check all is well. Note i didnt do any wire scotchlocking until each of the red lights had turned themselfs off, they do this after the door has been open about 5 mins.

In all i had all 4 done in 1 hour.

hope this helps someone

Reactions: Bourney
Nicely Done!

Also answers my question about whether the Red Light bulbs can be changed without removing the door cards!

Also useful to know that the lights are the same as the Passat ones - I could do with a couple of spare red ones! Might have to find a Breakers now.....

good wright up mate i will defo be doing it now

Don't need' how to' pics but pics of the finished job would compliment your write up.

I've got all the lights sat on the bench, just need the ****** rain to stop will be doing this over the next couple of days, thanks for the write up.

cople of piccys
puddle1.jpg
puddle2.jpg
its a little bit annoying that the light is now affecting the photo where i attempted to show the fit closely but so long as you cut out the recess shown you will get a nice fit

Last edited:
Re the photo problem, can't you wait until the puddle light goes out and then take the photo?

Nice job though, this has been on my to do list for ages and has now jumped a few places higher up the list knowing I don't need to take the door cards off!

thats just what i thought james just could not be botherd to take doors to pices off but now i just need the lights and the wier and it will be done

good idea of mine then wasnt it mate ...told you it would work doing it that way

no worries and cool you found a door blade just one more hey ..soon be fitted

Great info & pics and easily added to my budget mods, thanks!

Did mine today along with fitting the slimline ballasts for my hids into the headlight,all good quick and easy,annother job knocked off the list!!

Thanks for this. im going to look into this come the nicer weather!