Any one know about these

Markey

Reaction score
Are they any good as they look the part.
I know the standard air box is great but it does not look as good as this.

Air Box

Read quite abit on these intakes on various US forums where they rate them highly. Think awesome GTI stock them in this country.

[ QUOTE ]
Features:
- Increases horsepower and torque
- Improves throttle response
- Improves fuel economy
- Enhances engine's volumetric efficiency
- Installs in about an hour
- Unique Thermal Barrier composite construction ensures low inlet temperatures

Kit Includes:
- Aerospace grade carbon fiber main intake section with show quality finish
- Complete photographic instructions
- Ram air design washable cotton gauze filter (of K&N type construction)
- All necessary hardware included

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a lot of BS to be honest.

The airboxes of VW and Audi engines are seldom the major source of restriction, and especially on the 1.8T engine, the big limits are the manifolds.

Others have tried similar products and LOST power presumably due to extra heat in the engine bay. There is no proof that they will increase power, throttle response etc etc...

"ram air design" - interesting, how exactly will that work with the air box under the bonnet

"aerospace grade carbon fibre" why? for lightness? will it make a difference?? I thought it was F1 grade anyway (says it earlier in the advert).. whatever that is?

"improves voulmetric effiency" what? I don't even know what they mean - sounds good though, doesn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Unique Thermal Barrier composite construction ensures low inlet temperatures" - would that be plastic then, or the faux carbon fibre, or possibly the rubber ducting hose? Or perhaps a colourful way of saying that its made of a few different materials, and this magically makes heat dissapear...

"Gains of 8-12HP typical in real world driving" - again, complete crap. Even if this magical device could make the turbo spool harder, the ECU would vent the pressure through the N75 and wastegate to keep the boost at the prescribed level. Real world driving, that would be on the road right? Where you cannot measure HP right? Where any improvment is PURELY subjective?

What utter nonsense. The marketing is probbably the best thing about the product. Oh, I forgot, it's very bling, so that must count for lots...

I guess if you want to spruce up the engine bay (if you like that sort of thing) then it's fine, but as a performance tool, forget it...

Don't waste your money.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:

Sounds like a lot of BS to be honest.

The airboxes of VW and Audi engines are seldom the major source of restriction, and especially on the 1.8T engine, the big limits are the manifolds.

Others have tried similar products and LOST power presumably due to extra heat in the engine bay. There is no proof that they will increase power, throttle response etc etc...

"ram air design" - interesting, how exactly will that work with the air box under the bonnet

"aerospace grade carbon fibre" why? for lightness? will it make a difference?? I thought it was F1 grade anyway (says it earlier in the advert).. whatever that is?

"improves voulmetric effiency" what? I don't even know what they mean - sounds good though, doesn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Unique Thermal Barrier composite construction ensures low inlet temperatures" - would that be plastic then, or the faux carbon fibre, or possibly the rubber ducting hose? Or perhaps a colourful way of saying that its made of a few different materials, and this magically makes heat dissapear...

"Gains of 8-12HP typical in real world driving" - again, complete crap. Even if this magical device could make the turbo spool harder, the ECU would vent the pressure through the N75 and wastegate to keep the boost at the prescribed level. Real world driving, that would be on the road right? Where you cannot measure HP right? Where any improvment is PURELY subjective?

What utter nonsense. The marketing is probbably the best thing about the product. Oh, I forgot, it's very bling, so that must count for lots...

I guess if you want to spruce up the engine bay (if you like that sort of thing) then it's fine, but as a performance tool, forget it...

Don't waste your money.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif
Very well said

I was just curious as they look the bis.
I know the standard air boxes are very high flowing.

I bought one for my 330Ci it seemed ok , but the way it was situated in my car i was always worried about it sucking up a load of water so i changed it for a GruppeM you can see the carbonio intake to the front right hand side of my engine bay...The do look very well indeed , the carbon fibre is lush. Gave a lovely note under full load but the gruppeM is far superior...

IMGP0796.jpg

Phil

[ QUOTE ]
Carbonio... sounds like a Dog biscuit!

[/ QUOTE ]

For cars!

A car biscuit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif