is my car over heating

8YA335TDI1STED

Reaction score
Hi all , changed my stat and coolant fluid a couple of weeks ago, I spent quite a bit of time bleeding the system heater on full revved the car to 2500rpm for aprox 15 mins meanwhile pumping all the coolant hoses, reason for changing stat was that it never sat at 90 which it now does however ive noticed that when sitting idling the temp gauge climbs all the way to near 100 deg before the fan cuts in !! is this normal or is my fan cutting in too late ?? also where are all the temp sensors which feed the dash display and tell the fan when to cut in ?

dunno what gives you that idea Sandip lol I just find it strange that the temp gets so high b4 the fan cuts in i read elsewhere that the needle shouldnt move much from 90 i also noticed on the diagnostic that actual temp is a good bit higher than 90 when needle is sat there so must be very high temp b4 the fan cuts in, think i will try re-bleed the system ad change whatever switch or switches tell the fan too work to be on the safe side, hopefully someone can confirm the part numbers and locations

My fans kick in at around 103 i think, the fans have two speeds low and high, I think it kicks in on the high?? I can't remember. Sensors are as Sandip states,but on my 02 S3 there is a sensor on the radiator on the battery side, its a big one with a triangle connector, If I remember correctly its the fan sensor switch, I will get a pic of it. I replaced it over 3 years ago so it's defo oem part.
I would hazard a guess at the temp sender on the side of the head, next to the air filter box and should be green or if very old black. Get one from audi about 15 quid and get a new clip and o ring too.

Of course only change when cool and relieve the pressure (if any) by taking off the expansion tank cap.

Also try the climate control trick. hold down recirc button and press the up arrow, then use the temp + and - to go to 49 then press recirc button again, this will give you the actual temp, useful if you have a TT as it would diagnose the infamous dashpod problems :eek:)

Also try the climate control trick. hold down recirc button and press the up arrow, then use the temp + and - to go to 49 then press recirc button again, this will give you the actual temp, useful if you have a TT as it would diagnose the infamous dashpod problems :eek:)
will give this a try too Quinnj2 so there is a sensor on the rad and at the head next to airbox these control the fan and the one in the expantion tank is for level is that correct ? not tt its an 01 amk s3 m8

Nah I know u got an S3 mate, was meaning doing the climate trick is useful for tt owners as it can confirm they have a dodgy dashpod (very common), i.e needles doing funny things especially the temp gauge.

This is the temp sensor located in between the head and the airbox Fixed my overheating issue - Bad Coolant Temp Sensor.. Details inside, it's should be easy to identify, remember it could be black, if it is then thats the old one which had issues, hence the new green one.

I will get a pic of the one in the rad, it's on the passenger side of the rad about half way down, big connector going to it IIRC.

very helpfull Quinnj2 cheers m8 look forward to pic or link to the rad switch , just read through that link u posted so know what to look for there , any sujestion on best place to buy these parts ? think my dash reading is ok as it stays similar to diagnostic temp and only changed the stat and fluid as it wouldnt sit at 90 which it now does , and as for the link u posted seems i have all the symptoms of dodjie sensors so will change em both to be safe .:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
I would go oem, it's nice and cheap, don't forget oring and new clip as well. Will try and get pic up tomorrow night of the sensor in my rad.

I would go oem, it's nice and cheap, don't forget oring and new clip as well. Will try and get pic up tomorrow night of the sensor in my rad.

got price from tps via my m8ts garage they qouted £58 inc vat for both sensors , the temp sensor being the more expensive of the 2 , think the fan switch was £22 ish , is there anyway i can catagorically rule out one sensor or the other ??? , I tried the turning on air con too see if it would foarce both fans too 100% ( i turned temp gauge down till it said LOW then fans cut in too cool the car went to check my rad fans and both were idle ) then tried the recirc button thing just told me the temp 74deg f h with indicated 90 deg on dash ?? Im confused what should i do next guys ??

Have you got access to VAG COM?

If you haven't yet replaced the coolant temp sensor or it is the black plastic not the green one then I would try this first, they are very common to fail. £30 from audi with clip and o ring. Temp on dial should sit bang on 90 degrees whatever you are doing, stationary or other.

Have you got access to VAG COM?

If you haven't yet replaced the coolant temp sensor or it is the black plastic not the green one then I would try this first, they are very common to fail. £30 from audi with clip and o ring. Temp on dial should sit bang on 90 degrees whatever you are doing, stationary or other.
Unfortunately no vagcom couldnt even tell you what type of diagnostic unit my m8 has all i know is he plugs it in to under the dash below steering wheel to get the codes ?? but no temp probs recorded, all i know is we changed the cooolant flushed the system and fitted a new stat and now the fan dosent cut in untill indicated 100-110 deg now i know that aint right , just wondered if there was a conclusive test to distinguish which switch was too blame ??