Downshifting when ragging your s3

8YA335TDI1STED

Reaction score
just wondered , is it ok to downshift and kick in the turbo say from 6th - 3d , also is it ok to use engine breaking on turbo cars or can these conditions result in problems with the turbo , sorry if its a silly q but its my first turbo car and used to riding bikes

Yes ok to down shift, yes ok to engine break...

Just warm it up and cool it down sensibly.

i start er up and dont move untill the cold start valve shuts, then keep revs to 2000rpm ish until the temp needle starts to move a bit then i just take it easy till it gets to 90deg but what do i do to cool er down ? is that just let er tick over for cpl o mins b4 switching off ?

Best way to warm it up is to start the car and drive straight away, don't drive hard though until the temp needle has been sitting on 90 for a couple of minutes.

It's not advisable to start a car up and let it tick over in order to warm up, does more harm than good...

Cooling down is just take it easy for the last mile or 2 before you stop, rather than having a spirited drive and then stopping and turning her off straight away.

I run mine for a minute before setting off and keep it easy until it hits 90.
Cooling down i just leave running for a minute before switching off.
There are probably people who do more extreme things but i think that seems enough :)

Best way to warm it up is to start the car and drive straight away, don't drive hard though until the temp needle has been sitting on 90 for a couple of minutes.

It's not advisable to start a car up and let it tick over in order to warm up, does more harm than good...

The S3 manual reccomends you start driving straight away.

The S3 manual reccomends you start driving straight away.

That’s all linked to them selling you more parts and service which leads up to many thousands of £, I would avoid some of their advice, like when they still recommend using lower grade oils so it leads up to costly engine rebuilds, warm it up for 2-3 minutes then drive under 2k until 90C, cooling down depends how much you have been boosting, if you come home from an easy drive this is not essential, but if you have been ragging it, then the quick change of temp is more likely to cause cracks in the turbo exhaust housing.

Bottom line is only you would know how much the car needs warming up or cooling down depending on your driving style.

I never ever cane mine cold. Ever. Let it warm up, wait until I see 86 on liquid gauge and then open the taps....

Downshifting is fine, easy access to more power.

That’s all linked to them selling you more parts and service which leads up to many thousands of £, I would avoid some of their advice, like when they still recommend using lower grade oils so it leads up to costly engine rebuilds, warm it up for 2-3 minutes then drive under 2k until 90C, cooling down depends how much you have been boosting, if you come home from an easy drive this is not essential, but if you have been ragging it, then the quick change of temp is more likely to cause cracks in the turbo exhaust housing.

Bottom line is only you would know how much the car needs warming up or cooling down depending on your driving style.

Good point, I wasn't very clear, I meant the manual suggests you start driving straight away but I would certainly not start ragging it straight away I always let in get up to temp before giving it the beans.

Yeah mate, sorry I was backing you up :thumbsup:

Yeah weren't sure whether I'd read it right :)

It does indeed say that in the manual...

It's suprising how many people do let there car warm up on tick over though !!

:thumbsup:thanks for the replies lads:thumbsup: i tend to drive mine the same way as a bike and always downshift for corners keeping it right in the powerband could well be the cause of my 23 mpg figures lol , must admit though these cars are sooooooooooooo much fun