A3 8L 2002 Heated door mirror glass.

Woody001

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm struggling with this one so need some help please.

2002 A3, TDi Sport, GF got hit by someone overtaking parked cars, it's smashed the mirror glass and the dealer wants ~£46 for a new one, it is the heated version as well.

Various spares shops only seem to list replacement ones upto year 2000, this would still be an 8L chassis so does anyone know if that may fit?

Any ideas on where to purchase from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian.

It will still be an 8L but im unsure if the later face lift A3 had different wing mirrors. I know the S3 had slightly different wing mirror housing which might mean they had different shape mirror too.

Just checked on vagcat and I think it shows there are 2 types dependant on year (pre and post facelift) pre 4a185753(5 left/6 right) post 8D085753(5 left/6 right) so I'd guess and say you need to make sure you order the mirror glass for models between 2001 to 2004

I got tinted mirror glass from the dealers last year and it cost about £23 a mirror if this helps.

ask pjmspeedy as he gets parts

Guys,
Thank you all for your help and advise.

scottm4 - was that for a 2002 model as that seems to be the price for the earlier model?

voorhees - I will try and contact pjmspeedy and ask for a price, thanks.

I just wish people would have the decency to pull over when they've caused damage.

Ian.

I just wish people would have the decency to pull over when they've caused damage.

Ian.
I think if you have any decency you would,my mate was hit and they drove on,he spun the car round and caught up with them in a layby sorting their broken mirror out (he said her face was a picture)

That is probably what I would have done, my other half was far to shaken up by it - mostly as it made a huge bang and she had our one year old daughter in the car. She also admitted later that she was nervous about telling me the car was damaged..!! :) It's only metal, lovely metal, but still just metal!

Ian.

i know how you feel mate same happend to mine.. i picked up replacement mirror from halfords and stuck it over the broken glass that way you still get the benefit of the heated glass it works fine :) plus the replacement glass was about £15 per side..

Guys,
Thank you all for your help and advise.

scottm4 - was that for a 2002 model as that seems to be the price for the earlier model?

voorhees - I will try and contact pjmspeedy and ask for a price, thanks.

Ian.

It was for a 03 plate S3 the part number is 8D0857535D and it came in at £23.52 each before VAT and the total was £54.10 for the pair!

Hi all,
I've removed the broken glass now and further inspection has revealed that the motor adjuster has broken beyond repair, the impact has stripped the rack and pinion gears.
From looking at ETKA it is the same motor as fitted to the earlier A3 8L's 2000 year etc. Part number 4A0959577

Anyone know any reliable breakers?

Cheers,
Ian.

I have some Mirror glass which I am not using, you are more than welcome to it free of charge. Which side was it?

G

Forgot to mention, it's from my S3, which should not be any different to yours. Does yours have a blue tint?

G

Just been through this myself.

I got a new mechanism from a B5 A4 in a scrappy and it worked fine.

I can also tell you (for what it's worth) that there is no difference between pre and post facelift 8L mirrors. Don't know about the S3 though...

Forgot to mention, it's from my S3, which should not be any different to yours. Does yours have a blue tint?

G

That is extremely generous of you, it is the drivers side which has smashed. Mine doesn't have a blue tint, no.

Ian.

Just been through this myself.

I can also tell you (for what it's worth) that there is no difference between pre and post facelift 8L mirrors. Don't know about the S3 though...

Thanks for that, they are listed as being different and I compared my mirror glass with a year 2000 1.8T and it is different, the shape of the inner upper corner is sharper and the face nearest the window sits inclined more. It seems for some reason they changed the mirror shape for all of a couple of years!

I've found a replacement non tint glass on eBay for about £13 + P&P, it's just the motor unit I'm stuck on.

What breakers did you go to?

Thanks,
Ian.

Woody, my mirror would be useless to you then. I do have both OEM and tinted, but if I give you both kinda leaves me stuck if mine do get smashed in any way.

Let me have a think about it, will get back to you via PM tomorrow.

G