Milltek magic on my 3.0 V6 quattro

Reaction score
I knew my cats were on the way out (a popular issue with the 3.0) and I didn't much feel like paying 2 grand to the dealer for a pair of new ones. So about 18 months ago I picked up a new pair of S8 cats from someone I know (a real gent actually) in the hope I could use them at some point.
Then, a few weeks ago I found someone in the UK selling an unused milltek for an S4 for half retail price (he bought the milltek and killed the s4 before having a chance to fit it I think) so I bought it, couriered it out here and spoke to a nice bloke Jani Itkonen www.itkonenracing.fi who has done work for me before. The old cats are made up of a single unit each side - downpipe, pre-cat and main cat. Jani cut off the cats and fitted the S8 cats instead. ****** good job too as they're a bit bigger than the originals. And of course he fitted the Milltek too, which is a bolt together job.
I'm not sure about how much the 100mm tips protrude so I might look into shortening them a bit. They slide onto the stub that protrudes from the back boxes and then a wraparound bracket bolts up tight. I think if I cut a bit off I could weld on the tips or use a thinner bracket.
I'm chuffed with the sound but it's very noisy inside from about 1800 rpm up to 2500 rpm. I wonder if I need resonated centre pipes instead of the unresonated that came with the system ?
Worth noting that the cat back system for the B6 S4 is the same for the B6 3.0 quattro, as confirmed by Milltek before I bought it
pics below and then a couple of videos

Videos - probably a bit pointless without headphones
startup YouTube - P1070183.MOV
drive past YouTube - P1070172

sounds nice mate its has to be the one thing i miss with my tdi is the sound of a petrol ;-(

ha yeah every time i go now they have new staff lol

fourcircle, that sounds really, really good. Love the drive by video, could tell you where having fun.:eyebrows: Need to cut it early to get the Astra estate out though he's stealing the limelight.:p

Last edited:
haha. thanks mate. yeah I was having fun there.
damn those sleek astra lines...

Awesome mate, sheer class :thumbsup:

As you know..... lmfao! especially at the little bugs crawling around on the grass and again when the Astra trundles past :laugh:

Sounds fvckin mint though, I tried it with the headphones! It's like the 1000 lakes!

I get enough funny looks with the steering wheel being on the wrong side here. tanking it up the road like that definitely doesn't make me any more subtle.
I like the 1000 lakes reference. sadly I move like a granny in a montego compared to the rally guys out here. Next stop.. supercharger!! Dear Santa...

:gun2:That sounds Aggressive!

yeah, great when idling and when giving it the beans mate but I'm on the hunt for resonated pipes now because I think it's too much when driving normally. Quite a lot of boom inside the cabin from 1800 rpm up to 2500rpm and I think I need to fix it.

I had a full turbo back milly on the blue one and it was just right BUT that was a 1.8t, Being yours is a V6 I can imagine...gotta love the V6 rumble though!
Are you going to get the cheapest res link pipes and do it that way like your cats?? I cant see any res pipes on the catalogue im looking through!

oh yeah. V6 sound is good but I didn't fully appreciate it until a couple of days ago. I don't actually know if Milltek sell the res pies seperately but I'll email them to ask. I saw a pair a while ago on pistonheads I think but that was before I ever thought i'd need them. doh! If I can't get the Milltek res pipes I'll have to hunt for an alternative and see what my options are. It's not ideal to be changing something straight away but I don't want to seem like a **** driving about with a super noisy exhaust. I'm sure the 1.8T sounded great. maybe it's just the V6 is a bit growly to begin with so the Milltek amplifies that?

Turbo's give the effect so as to act as a silencer in the exhaust.

so... I should tell my wife I need 2 turbos to reduce the noise of the exhaust? hehe. sounds like a plan!

Very nice indeed, im about to retrofit the rear lower valance too, one question do the 100mm tailpipes vibrate on the bumper when its sat ticking over?

no, I thought they were going to be tight against the bumper but there's a little space so they don't touch thankfully. That's the standard rear valance though. s-line might be different if you fit that (which i'm kind of regretting not doing)

Very nice indeed, im about to retrofit the rear lower valance too, one question do the 100mm tailpipes vibrate on the bumper when its sat ticking over?

In respect of the tips you can lower the system slightly if needed - one way to do it would be lower the mounts and put washers in the gaps created. I have had to play with mine loads because i have the dreaded "convertible" braces beneath the car and initially the rattling was immense, but only once the system was warned up. The car was on Millteks ramps on four seperate occasions trying to sort it out until I invested in cheap cable ties and did it myself! lol

Here are some pics on my Milltek.....

A4_Cab_MTK_System_2_wm.jpg

A4_Cab_MTK_System_1_wm.jpg

SNC00597.jpg

was the rattling because the pipes were rattling against the braces then? or were the tips rattling? Looks like you have a semi sensible resonated box/pipe section there. I can't complain at the price I paid but wish it had resonated pipes. I'm not sure if there's any alternative to dampen the sound (other than James' idea of fitting turbos)
Really nice looking system by the way. I can't help feeling a bit geeky being so proud that the shiniest part of my car is underneath.

Yeah to be honest I had it bespoked at their HQ in Derby and basically said it had to be all singing all dancing. I'm putting the sports cat on shortly (Milltek) as well.

In respect to the noise - hell yeah - make it louder, this will help you not hear any moaning from the other halfs!! Thats my excuse anyway! I'm also having a front mount intercooler fitted, which with the exhaust and my Carbonio should make my volume increase!

PS. Nice video by the way - I'm going to find myself a little country lane later and do something similar!!

haha. I need less noise, not more! any more and i'd pass out around 2400rpm in 2nd gear. Hope your sports cat is a reasonable price. the S4 sports cats are about £1500 and they don't even do them for my 3.0. the S4 ones could prob be adapted to fit but the S8 ones I have in just now should do OK for now. Until I get that supercharger.
Will you need your remap redone after the new cat and IC?

@ fourcircle.
Ive had a look and cant find anything on the 3.0v6 for Res pipes.
For my Rs4 they are only £50 the pair so maybe you could buy the same and mod them to your downpipes maybe?? You managed it wih the CATs so im sure you can mod them to your system!
What Bore is your system???

Its advised for a remap after you have had the sports cat fitted but you dont have to. To get full potential out the system though Id be having a custom remap once the sports cats are fitted.
The milltek systems are expensive and just the 200cel Sport cats for mine are £545 a peice...I managed to get a 2nd hand set for £380 and that was including some black roof rails!!

I think the Milltek cat was 600-700 hundred or there abouts - but i know them personally (wink wink)! Defo having it mapped again, since the first map i've had the exhaust, dv, mbc, carbonio etc so it's needs a more custom jobbie for sure!

Chris - Have you got it already?? should only be around £515 for yours, I paid £445 for mine when I bought it, got a little lucky.

@ fourcircle.
Ive had a look and cant find anything on the 3.0v6 for Res pipes.
For my Rs4 they are only £50 the pair so maybe you could buy the same and mod them to your downpipes maybe?? You managed it wih the CATs so im sure you can mod them to your system!
What Bore is your system???
aha! that's quite a resonable price mate. mine is 57mm diameter - it's the B6 S4 system. same diameter as yours by any chance? (fingers crossed). I wish I personally did the exhaust work but welding is something I have on my list of things to learn. But the guy who did the work for me could certainly put the res pipes in if I can get them.

Chris - Have you got it already?? should only be around £515 for yours, I paid £445 for mine when I bought it, got a little lucky.

HI there, not yet - I may be a little out on prices as it was a while ago I looked. I should get it at wholesale or near enough - i'll drop them a call and let you know!

Did it make a difference to your car when you had yours fitted?

By luck I have some of the Resonated pipes you are looking for. You have PM

HI there, not yet - I may be a little out on prices as it was a while ago I looked. I should get it at wholesale or near enough - i'll drop them a call and let you know!

Did it make a difference to your car when you had yours fitted?
You should be getting it cheaper then!! lucky git.lol
Yeah defo made a difference, it was much more torquey and the boost was alot quicker too. Felt like it wasnt being strangled anymore :superman: