Towing a quattro?

niftyandy

Reaction score
Hi

I know that you shouldn't allow a quattro to be towed with the front wheels up on a trailer etc as it knackers the diff, you should use a flatbed etc.

But what about towing one behind a car with a tow-rope, with all 4 wheels rolling on the floor...is that all right?
I can't see there being a problem....car's a manual by the way, so as long as its in neutral all should be ok and the diffs should be free.

Cheers for info...
Andy

ive towed a rs2000 4X4 on an A frame in the past, didnt have any problems, all the wheels on the floor, also towed a discovery the same way, but both the gearbox and transfer box was in neautrel

It will work ok like that but over a distance I was told before that there's a danger of pressure building up in the gearbox oil. I think that was it anyway. I'll try to get precise information..

Hi all sorted now anyway...towed with a rope without incident and all ok - it was only over 6 miles anyway.
3.0 q sport - water pump imploded!! Masses of steam etc from the expansion tank and water gushing from the bottom of the engine.....seems like the water pump failed then car overheated then the pump went 'bang'
Cheers for comments anyway.
Andy

iv seen a A3 transmition box get totally screwed by being towed on the back of an AA spec lift truck only but 1 month ago, i never knew this info until then,

A3's use Haldex 4wd system where as we have torsen perm 4wd, towing a A3 is like towing any other 2wd drive and can be done by any means really.

Hi all sorted now anyway...towed with a rope without incident and all ok - it was only over 6 miles anyway.
3.0 q sport - water pump imploded!! Masses of steam etc from the expansion tank and water gushing from the bottom of the engine.....seems like the water pump failed then car overheated then the pump went 'bang'
Cheers for comments anyway.
Andy

yoiks! was it your car or someone else's? I can't think where the water pump is on the ASN for replacing. hmm.

A3's use Haldex 4wd system where as we have torsen perm 4wd, towing a A3 is like towing any other 2wd drive and can be done by any means really.
No No haldex shouldnt be towed on a spec the haldex system is a multiplate clutch set up you will not do it any favours .
Coupling_layout_webb.jpg

ooo. impressive. No idea how works of course (haldex I mean).
I think the general rule of insisting on a flatbed for a quattro car is the safe way to go. It's surprising how many times breakdown companies have been told it's an audi quattro and someone turns up expecting to lift the front end up and pull it behind the wagon

Last edited:
I used to own a garage / recovery franchise.
Four wheel drives should ALWAYS be moved by a full lift - i.e. on a transporter / slide bed.
They can be flat towed ( all four wheels turning) for a short distance - obviously in neutral, without manual diff locks (if it has them) being engaged. Usually as an expedient on a motorway hard shoulder, to the next exit, to remove them from danger. No harm will be done to the transmission.
They should NEVER be put on a spec lift - i.e. only two wheels suspended (either front or back). A very serious risk of damage to the transmission.

I used to own a garage / recovery franchise.
Four wheel drives should ALWAYS be moved by a full lift - i.e. on a transporter / slide bed.
They can be flat towed ( all four wheels turning) for a short distance - obviously in neutral, without manual diff locks (if it has them) being engaged. Usually as an expedient on a motorway hard shoulder, to the next exit, to remove them from danger. No harm will be done to the transmission.
They should NEVER be put on a spec lift - i.e. only two wheels suspended (either front or back). A very serious risk of damage to the transmission.

When are people going to understand the difference between Haldex and Torsen..........

"To ensure the function and minimum activation time, the annular pistons are constantly in contact with the rollers via a low pressure, maintained by a small electric pump in the coupling. The pump works only when the vehicle's engine is running. The coupling is deactivated when the engine is off, making it possible to tow the vehicle with one axle lifted. "

The A3/Golf 4 motion/TT etc are all Haldex system not Torsen, the Haldex system is actually 2wd 100% of the time the car is driven, only when wheelspin is detected does the 4wd system cut in. Unlike our cars which are not to be lifted by an axle or even MOT tested on a 2wd Brake tester.

I am not saying you "should" get your own Haldex equipped car towed like this, but it won't kill the car if you do, if it was my car I would still like it to be picked up on a flat bed.

The trouble is when you call the AA/RAC and say you have a problem and you are running a Audi Quattro they will send out a flat bed and not even bother trying to fix the fault which could be something simple, the guys that drive the flat beds carry no equipment to fix a car so your always going to get towed :(

The trouble is when you call the AA/RAC and say you have a problem and you are running a Audi Quattro they will send out a flat bed and not even bother trying to fix the fault which could be something simple, the guys that drive the flat beds carry no equipment to fix a car so your always going to get towed :(

I wish! When my timing belt skipped I told them not to send a van, it wasn't repairable and they needed a flat bed for a full lift. "In line with company policy" they sent a man and van who confirmed what I had said, and I had to wait a further hour and a half for a flatbed to come.

Sounds like me experience last week with Green Flag....when asked ' is it a 4 wheel drive' I answered 'yes' and they sent a single axle pickup truck- i had to wait another hour for a flatbed!....Doh!....
Though I should have known better as they thought my car was a Ford Galaxy, as the private number plate I have on my A4 used to be on one....about 2 years ago!!
Probably why they're cheap!!

I've towed my a6 tdi quattro from Porsmouth to London with a towbar, had a flat bed trailer at the time but i did not take-it with me ! As long as you dont go over 60 Mph and make freqvent stops then there would be no damage done ! Haldex can be towed on a 2 wheel dolly but i would advise on towing any Torsen equiped 4x4 unless you disconect the prop from the gearbox/transfer box.

now im confused,

can my A4 2.5 TDI Quattro be spec lifted or not ? im understanding it can not be ? But an A3 can be?

Nope, you will damage the centre diff. You can transport-it for long periods IF you disconect the propshaft off the rear diff.

Nope, you will damage the centre diff. You can transport-it for long periods IF you disconect the propshaft off the rear diff.

Well that's a no for me then and a thanks to you for clearing that one up for me, I wont be disconecting anything on my ride, iv spent more than enough cash on it to be buggering about taking a bit like that off in order to get it anywhere should it break down, not that i expect it too, it gets more love and cash from my wallet as my wife does hence im always skint,

Hi all
Just a quick follow up to this if people are interested....
After towing the quattro, with a rope, for 5 or 6 miles to the garage, on picking it up from there, after being fixed and driving off, the ESP light was on all the time with the ESP on/off button not affecting it.
As soon as I got home though, after braking for a junction, it went out and hasn't reappeared....the ESP button now works too. So all seems fine again.
Cheers all for your comments.
Andy