2.0 TDI cut out after 30 seconds of running

heeman10

Audi driver since Dec 08
Reaction score
A couple of mornings ago I started my engine, let it idle for ten seconds, crawled away in first gear, upshifted to second at about 1,800rpm, light throttle again in second to about 1,500rpm, lifted off for 2-3 seconds round a gentle corner (in a housing estate) and the engine juddered. I put the clutch in straight away and the engine cut out without a second. It wasn't a stall, and nothing seemed untowards under the bonnet. I got back in, gritted my teeth and turned the key, and it fired up fine and didn't give me a problem.

76,000 miler, never had a problem like this before or since. Any clues?

youd have to scan it for codes mate, could have been a glitch in a sensor, or some intermittent gremlin that may resurface later.

Mine has stalled after starting once, and for a couple of days it was shuddery on start up, but no codes, so may be glowplugs in my second case but still not figured out the stall. Plus yours has even more electronics and cant run without it, the old AFN in mine will run with no ecu almost, as long as the fuel cut solenoid has power lol (wont get boost but hey you'll get home) - cant think of an obvious reason tho except sensors or fuel pressure or something.

No lights on the clocks, no DIS warnings, sounded as though someone had put a clamp on my fuel pipe the way it stopped. Do the fuel pumps tend to give trouble on these? VCDS would be very useful at times like these!

Not a diesel but I had cutting out problems are few weeks back.
But I was seeing various lights on the DIS.
Turned out to be a power supply relay to all of the main Control Modules.
Took a week to replicate and diagnose the fault, and £11 for the part.

Good luck.
Paul

Okay Paul, I'll bear that in mind :) Not quite as bad as the Mk5 Golf TDI I came across stranded in the middle lane of a three-lane M5 roundabout under a bridge last night, hazards on..young mum with two young boys in the back. She'd brimmed it from empty with unleaded! Whoops!

get a cheap ebay vag lead that works with version 409 of the older vag com, its still ****** good and waaaaaaay cheaper than the original one or the new vcds.

Okay Paul, I'll bear that in mind :) Not quite as bad as the Mk5 Golf TDI I came across stranded in the middle lane of a three-lane M5 roundabout under a bridge last night, hazards on..young mum with two young boys in the back. She'd brimmed it from empty with unleaded! Whoops!

Oops.
Mine started cutting out when I was driving too (no brakes or steering) but luckily I was in dual contraflow so was only doing 10mph or so and one lane of traffic could still squeeze past.

Im sure I was dead popular as it was at the Tyne Tunnel peak rush hour. Horrible spot to negotiate during busy periods anyway.

Cheers
Paul

low oil???????? fuel pump fuse blown? (if its starting after a few cranks)