Coilovers V Bilstein + H&R

Lol @ It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

it does look a bit orange in strong sunlight though, i have the same colour issues

Damian - I was thinking along the lines of B8s and H&R springs as this seems to be a good set up but then I know that the KW Coilover setup works very well too. Are you still able to do a deal on the Billy/H&R combo?

Cookstein - I've had salmon pink, orange, etc, infact everything but Absolute Red!! LOL

My misses knows that "orange car" winds me up, so if she's ****** off, she'll use that to show me...

I've had Tomato...well that's it actually lol!

Think coils would be too crashy! only going on what i have read! guessing they'd make for a great handling track car, but perhaps too skitish round the crap UK roads?
Billies are the chosen on here, guess because you get an all rounder?! thought they are much more expensive from what i have seen!

I have the B8 and H&R with Neuspeed ARBs and rear adjustable tie bars with a custom geometry setup. Dare I say perfect handling? ;)

G

Worth every single penny! Mine is as per Ess_Three's Geometry.

I went for Comp Brake top mounts also to stiffen and give more feedback to the wheel. It is super responsive and very positive through the steering. Worth the money but they do twang and twong a bit.

G

This is turning out to be a thread for peole with cars that aren't f~cking orange!! lol

Are the adjustable tie arms necessary if only lowering 25mm? If people are goning to add negative camber anyway...?

Damian - I was thinking along the lines of B8s and H&R springs as this seems to be a good set up but then I know that the KW Coilover setup works very well too. Are you still able to do a deal on the Billy/H&R combo?

Yeah we always try for forum members.

We have nearly 25% off the springs at the moment and 10% off the dampers but drop us a PM and I'm sure we'll be able to squeeze a bit more.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Are the adjustable tie arms necessary if only lowering 25mm? If people are goning to add negative camber anyway...?

Personally I think the tie bars are a must when lowering. It's not just the effect on the camber but also the strain on the already weak standard bars.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Some say that you don't require them, others say you do. I guess it's down to personal preference. I chose to have them so that I could get the car how "I" wanted it not how people wanted me to have it, if that makes sense. I knew after speaking with Ess for ages on different setups with different camber/toe configurations that he had spent a considerable amount of money on his S3, and that "he" was the person to give me the best advice having done it all before. Saving me making the mistakes again. So as I said, I bought them, and I don't regret it.

The only thing that put me off the Billy/H&R combo was the price as it looks like it's shot through the roof!! I'm used to a fairly harsh ride as I've always had koni's and my Impreza wasn't exactly built for comfort so I guess I'm looking for more of a compromise. When I first bought the Audi 3 years ago I thought I'd have the best of both worlds 4x4 with power and a non boy racer looking car but I've been really disappointed with it - slow, even with the revo, handles like a cross channel ferry in a force ten gale and generally left me feeling a bit flat! Hence the reason for asking which set up would be better.

As I'm approaching 44, the boy racer image of the Impreza isn't really the way forward but unfortunately, it's hard to take the boy racer out of the old man. Also, owing to the fact its just about to hit 125k it's not really worth much anymore so it won't hurt to throw a bit of money at it as a hobby, rather than a necessity!

Any more comments and feedback would be very welcome as I only intend on doing it once!!!

I am not as young as I used to be either, 33 to be exact, and again still have a passion for cars and a bit of boost when possible. I was in this very dilemma earlier on this year, bought the car with 1 owner at 80k @ £6550, do I sell it and get something else? Keep it and spend?? So since that time I spent a considerable amount getting it just the way I like it. OEM + I'd like to say, the last thing will be wheels, but not for a while.

So in total I've spent around £6500 on it, worth it? Yes. Will I sell it now, no! There would be absolutely no point and someone else would only benefit from my throwing money at it. Thats not including all the money spent on detailing it.

Mines now on 110k, having had it over 2 years now, mileage soon clocks up with those unnecessary trips here, there and everywhere. Still it matters not if I'm to keep it till I'm old and grey. I will just add to the collection with another car rather than using this one to gain another in part exchange. I had a lovely RB5 once, best handling car I've owned but boy were the mechanics of it all utter rubbish. 3 Engines, 1 gearbox and an ECU (all fitted and paid for under Subaru Warranty), 3 engine saw me selling up and loosing around 3k.

My S3 is not far off what the impreza used to be in standard form to be honest. Maybe slightly better, the thing that lets the S3 down is the Haldex. If it had a Torsen, it would be far better.

G

I ran my old A3 1.8TQS on B8s and Eibachs, for about two months before I sold it, without tie bars and I will be doing the same to begin with on the S3 with Tie bars being added later on, as my budget wont stretch that far per month. The ride on the a3 was brilliant never the less hence why im going with the same again.

I am not as young as I used to be either, 33 to be exact, and again still have a passion for cars and a bit of boost when possible. I was in this very dilemma earlier on this year, bought the car with 1 owner at 80k @ £6550, do I sell it and get something else? Keep it and spend?? So since that time I spent a considerable amount getting it just the way I like it. OEM + I'd like to say, the last thing will be wheels, but not for a while.

So in total I've spent around £6500 on it, worth it? Yes. Will I sell it now, no! There would be absolutely no point and someone else would only benefit from my throwing money at it. Thats not including all the money spent on detailing it.

Mines now on 110k, having had it over 2 years now, mileage soon clocks up with those unnecessary trips here, there and everywhere. Still it matters not if I'm to keep it till I'm old and grey. I will just add to the collection with another car rather than using this one to gain another in part exchange. I had a lovely RB5 once, best handling car I've owned but boy were the mechanics of it all utter rubbish. 3 Engines, 1 gearbox and an ECU (all fitted and paid for under Subaru Warranty), 3 engine saw me selling up and loosing around 3k.

My S3 is not far off what the impreza used to be in standard form to be honest. Maybe slightly better, the thing that lets the S3 down is the Haldex. If it had a Torsen, it would be far better.

G

Interesting G, cheers for the PM. My car is miles off my WRX in everyway, it doesn't handle at all well and it well down on performance, even with the revo! My WRX has about 285 bhp and would wipe the floor with the S3 so that's my dilema. The way I look at it, it's going to cost me around £6K to get it anywhere near the scooby which will involve shocks and springs, arbs, brakes and a big or hybrid turbo where as I could just go and by an Evo for that kind of money including selling the Audi, or, maybe even an M3 so it's quite a trade off!!

I've been looking into second hand parts but tbh, they're like rocking horse sh!t and on top of the above I'd also want to fit a haldex controller too. I guess the only real advantage over the previously mentioned vehicles (excluding the M3) is that it won't blow up after 70,000 miles of constant abuse!!

cheers
Mike