Went out in a R32

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of mine brought his new R32 up on the weekend for me to have a look.

Very impressed! Loved the handling,looks, performance etc.

It felt very quick, quicker than I was expecting. Anyone else been in one? I think they are really nice.

Cheers
Rich.

so was it quicker than your s3?

i didnt drive one but was taken for a spin a while back.. nice car and lovely sounding engine... but i kinda swore to myself that i would never buy a golf

[ QUOTE ]
jedi-knight83 said:
so was it quicker than your s3?

i didnt drive one but was taken for a spin a while back.. nice car and lovely sounding engine... but i kinda swore to myself that i would never buy a golf

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult to say! He thought the S3 was faster and I think i'm leaning towards the S3 also.

I think we need to find an empty bit of road and have a go against each other.

Rich.

completely different power delivery but on paper the s3 should be quicker.

what are the actual 0-60 times of a 260 bhp s3?? i see the 260bhp s4 does it in low 6 seconds but thats a heavier car so surely the chipped s3 should be low 6 or even early 5???

I think the S3 will be quicker low down in the rev band, whereas the R32 will almost certainly hold power higher up and pull away. Given that a Stage 1 amd map is worth (in the real world) about 250bhp, the power figures are comparable, but again in the real world a normally aspirated 250bhp is likely to have an advantage over a turbo'd 250bhp due to heatsoak and issues with high RPM boost tail off...

Please don't get me wrong, I'm a VAG man all the way, but I do think the RS Focus is a far nicer looking motor than the R32. Haven't driven either so can't comment any further. just my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bloke654 said:
Please don't get me wrong, I'm a VAG man all the way, but I do think the RS Focus is a far nicer looking motor than the R32. Haven't driven either so can't comment any further. just my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, the focus is just..........erm a focus! With a few tarty badges on it. R32 all the way.

YOGi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, i disagree with you Yogi. The R32 looks like a golf with different bumpers, skirts, wheels, and spoiler. Hence, you already see lower model golfs going around tarted up to look like an R32. The RS Focus has its own body, with wider arches, as with the A3/S3. Don't get me wrong, i like the look of the R32, but I like the exclusivity of the Focus. If you look on the UK MKIV forum you'll find numerous members trying to source R32 body kits to make a look-a-like, taking the wow factor away from the real McCoy's. Something much harder to do with an RS Focus.

Obviously underneath both cars are very different to their base models underneath, but from a looks point of view this is what I reckon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
YOGi said:
I disagree, the focus is just..........erm a focus! With a few tarty badges on it. R32 all the way.

YOGi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And surely the same thing could be levelled at the R32, there are certainly a few "tarty badges" there too.

Yeah your right, but my problem is i wouldnt buy anything except german and in some cases jap, having worked on the majority of manufacturers at the garage im at. The ford does "look" good as a top spec focus however compared to an R32 i would have to choose the golf all day long. Also build quality is an important factor, ford will never come close in build quality against a VAG motor.

YOGi

When talking about shocking colours of cars can anyone remember the VW polo harlequin??? it had all different colours of body pannels!!!!!! was brilliant i loved it , think it was a stricktly a small run of cars but was "noticable"
AS for the ford ,just remember folks its
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily , new cars same crap!

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1101759042Bloke654">

You wake up one morning and both are on the driveway-Which do you keep?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />R32
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />RS Focus
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:The focus has the same rear independant suspension setup as the R32 so the handeling should be the similar. This i was told by a German tuning specialest so im not making it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they were making it up for you.

My old mans lawnmower has independant rear suspension too - it doesn't handle though...

I would definately choose the R32 over the Focus. Don't like the focus interior.

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
Is it supposed to then

[/ QUOTE ]

"supposed to" - doesn't mean it actually does. Apart from the slightly errant front centre diff on the Focus, its a much better handling package than the R32. Better damped, better turn in, better adjustability.

It's good to see everybody subscribe to the usual prejudices about the Ford vs VW argument. OK, so the Focus is a bit flash and immature compared to the R32, but as a driving tool, the focus is arguably on a par if not better.

I had two Focus ST170's before converting to the S3. Handling wise the focus's are superb IMO and although the ST has had some bad press I thought it was a very capable car and the RS is infinitely better. I would say that the R32 (although a lovely car) would not live with it through the twisties/track.

In fact I would say there is very little in the RS price bracket that could! Its only downfall is the riduculous amounts of torque steer it produces which in fact verges on the downright dangerous.

I thought that the Vw golf had slightly blown out arches like on the V6 4 motion years ago?
IMO the Focus RS is basically a marketing ploy like many others and really doesn't have the pedigree of a VAG.

I will explain, typical examples are Renault 172/182, peugeot GTI 180, Ford Focus RS's. Now where do these companies make the bulk of their money? From the standard models.. but when they roll out one car which has a Glossy spec from the standard car, people instantly are drawn to it as its the Top car in their range.

Usually the engines and handling are genuinely very good, but when you get inside you know you are in just another standard car with a few shiny extra's. Most of these cars even in the special model spec don't carry the innovation and quality of a VAG built car, which is not surprising as its just an affordable car tarted up! Also does style not count for anything these days? But you get what you pay for which is why a VAG car will always command a higher price.

Horse's for course's

regards

J

it might not have the pedigree or build quality, but then it costs almost £10k less as well (i think). At the end of the day, i'm sure the RS would be a more fun drive, but theres no argument the golf would be more comfortable, possibly built better or whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
it might not have the pedigree or build quality, but then it costs almost £10k less as well (i think). At the end of the day, i'm sure the RS would be a more fun drive, but theres no argument the golf would be more comfortable, possibly built better or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the RS focus is about £20K (I think!)

i don't think theres anything wrong with the blue, as you said it looked really good in your S3, i think it for some reason just seems to look very cheap in the RS. Also, i don't think your S3 interior would have looked quite as good if half the steering wheel was blue as well. I think thats where ford ruined it, if they kept just the seats and doorcards half blue/black but all the dash and everything else normal it might have looked a lot better.

but yeah i agree it is a wicked car, but i don't even se how we can compare it to a R32 as IMO they are completly different cars made for different reasons.

My only gripe with the new mk5 Golf is the fact they left so much of the rear bumper not colour coded. Thats the only thing! IMO i really like the new Golf GTi..... I configured my ideal one online 2day, it came to £26000 all together fully loaded......well i can dream cant i???

However you gotta think is it worth the money when you can buy a brand new evo or scooby for what is it 15k now? Seperate debate in itself.

A little sidetracked... YOGi