??????

simon.m

Reaction score
so now i have my HIDs fitted im told today by a friend its not legal so my ? is this how many of you guys on here have HIDs and do not have the washer jets or self levaling lights and who has a problem with MOTs ie not passing them :busted_cop:

I have H.I.D lights no self levelling and no washers, and have passed 2 Audi MOT's

Aslong as the beam is within limits you wll be fine and if it isn't they will sort it for you

apparantly there are 2 different types of normal lights, projector and reflector

If you have projector its ok, with reflector the beam goes everywhere, corsa and saxo posse cars

I have HID's fitted on my B5 with projectors and have never had an issue.
As long as you have projector headlights you will be fine.

im sure i have projectors ill post a pic so you can see

IMG00017-20100812-1123.jpg

you dont need projectors for HIDS, nowhere does it say this, You do however need a lens designed to take a HID bulb.

oh and how do i no if i have that and i was told projectors keep the beam in line better than none projected ones there is so much to lern lol

oh and how do i no if i have that

You would have hids from factory :p

However projector lens give an excellent cut off and are fine as i believe the Stock units on the b6 with a hid kit is pretty similar to what actual factory fit hids look like.

Dont worry and if it ever comes to it, its a sinch to remove the bulb and whack a standard in for mot, but you're fine.

Think of it as hanging an air freshner on your rear view mirror.

Many Have them and its Technically illegal but the police are only going to stop you if your lights are completely out of whack blinding everyone on the road or your air freshner is the size of your windscreen.

cool its always good to no whats what and all ;-)

oh and how do i no if i have that and i was told projectors keep the beam in line better than none projected ones there is so much to lern lol

On the back of the headlight assembly there are markings which indicate which bulb the reflectors/projectors are compatible with, look near the back of the dipped and it says H7 and D1S. H7 is Halogen fitment and D1S is HID Xenon fitment. The Main Bean say H7 only.

As mentioned in a previous thread, (so can't take full credit), if you drive a "Chav Chariot" and fit HID's in place of your Halogens you should expect to be nicked.
:busted_cop:

ummmmmmmm ok so am i good then or do i have to go out to the car and take the head light out to have a look sorry for being so stupid about this

ummmmmmmm ok so am i good then or do i have to go out to the car and take the head light out to have a look sorry for being so stupid about this
99.99999% sure it will show H7 & D1S behind the dipped unit - so don't worry.
There is no difference in Audi B6 projector lens design for Halogens or HID's.

You are fine mate, Don't even give it a second though. The only crime here is how poor the b6 standard lights are.

thanks guys i just worry about stuff like this :busted_cop: and i could not put up with the standard ones any more as nutkin said what a load of rubbish they are

Last edited:
as any one got a pic of theres on so i can see if i need mine sorted out dont need to blind any one

as any one got a pic of theres on so i can see if i need mine sorted out dont need to blind any one
Any good garage /mot center will set your lights up properly on a beam setter you know there done right then and wont be dazzling anyone coming towards you .

my lights where out the left one was to high but would not hit any one and the right one was too far left and to low all done now by the mot place so im well happy thanks for all your help guys

£5 pounds mate all though if i had gone to the guy i used he would not have but i was in a rush