FMIC' Size

getting a front mount intercooler, need alittle advice, these are the diamentions of it

its 4 inch thick 12 inch high and 28inc wide

will it fit my A3 is the question, someone please help

Seems a little bit big to me tbh... your little K03 will get a little lost in there... have you looked at one of the kits on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380141280134

If you car also has a MAP sensor in the SMIC then you may need to get a MAP tube from Forge to relocate that too

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
soz, pasted an incomplete link...

Are you sure you have the dimensions right? I had one that was 600mmx300mmx76mm and that would just about fit a friends A3 and that was only really because the bumper they had was modded...

Even a K04 will struggle to fill that properly I would imagine... thats more GT30 territory...

<tuffty/>

that turbo revs seems too cheap, be brilliant if it works though

Bumper on an A3 is more rounded... my limited experience of Ibiza's suggest there is more room under the bumper of an Ibiza to fit a larger FMIC plus they aren't shy about showing them off...

If the dimensions are right I would be surprised if it fits without hacking a large portioin of your bumper apart if it fits at all... then there is the pipework of course... if thats not supplied you will need to get all that sorted and its quite a bit of work to get a FMIC in an A3 piped up... S3's are a lot easier but A3's pipework is all on the one side.

If you can, I would get the bumper off and offer it up...

<tuffty/>

there is no pipe work with it, just send bill a pm too see what he thinks, would really like to know if this fits though, how big is this to your fmic tuffty, i know its slightly different with you having a s3

Based on the sizes you have given, the cooler you are getting is 711x305x102mm which is huge. It will prob have 86mm outlets on the end tanks so this will need to be reduced to 63mm at least.

I personally think you will have a few probs fitting it behind your bumper. Even if you fit an S3 bumper you will have to mod it and loose the fogs etc or some other compromise...

My personal view is it will induce extra lag and be an **** to fit without hacking large parts... Mat20vt has a custom forge cooler on his car, based on the S3 core but 80mm deep rather than 60mm and 63mm end pipes

Image0002.jpg

Image0003.jpg

Mat has no fog lights and it does bulge the bumper out. The cooler you are looking to get would be worse.

<tuffty/>

....Bill had to cut a lot of the inside of the bumper away to get it to fit too...

<tuffty/>

hit the 'Thanks' button on the post of the person you want to thank :)

<tuffty/>

lol, so the dimentions i need are what tuffty gave me in the previous post

The dimensions 480x270x60mm are for the core size and not the overall FMIC inc end tanks.

If you are planning to fit an S3 front bumper then get the AH Fabs FMIC (£250 plus postage IIRC), you will still need pipes and hoses for that though. You will need to cut the bumper bar too.

This will allow you to keep the fogs etc... Pipework wise I am not sure which is the best suggestion, S3's are easy as they are set up to have a FMIC plumbed in... A3's aren't. Have a look on SCN at some of the Ibiza's as they will have had similar issues.

<tuffty/>

Awesome gti will fit the forge mk4 fmic for £200- £250 on an a3. works out at £750 though.

the AH cooler is the cheapest and best on the market just now unless your go for a ebay jobbie, BUT AH build kit for wrc, F1 etc etc so that says it all... there mates of mine and do all the kit for my cars and all my friends/contacts...

HTH

Ad

Anyone have the Forge FMIC installation PDF i was looking at it the other day but cant seem to find it again?

So whats the cheapest it can be done easily then? £200 ish for the cooler? plus pipes, plus fitting? Based on an S3 in my case?