Running in

nicks3

Reaction score
Ok, so I collect my A3 3.2 DSG S line in 6 weeks and the return trip home is 130 miles. I have always been a fan of running cars in for 1,000 miles before gradually building the speed up. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be any real suggestion that you do this so the question is:

Do I drive the car slowly the 130 miles home to allow the brake pads and tyres to bed in a little and then thrash........... or should I allow more miles before caning it?

If you ask majority of salesman they will tell you it doesn't need running in as they did with me and the new GTi, but after checking the manual it states care to be taken for the first 1,000 miles. Your choice really but with 250bhp your journey home should still be fun even if you limit your revs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have decided to get 1,000 miles on my car before I give it too much stick but then again many will disagree and you do have the warranty to fall back on, excellent choice by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

2 slightly different replies there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Low revs followed with a few throttle blips with the windows down will always bring a smile, even if you are stationary.

Personally, I will be taking care on my first few miles, but I know many who say this doesn't really matter anymore - the cars are designed for it etc. More importantly is not thrashing it when it is cold but then that is just common sense. But then 3000 rpm in top is 80mph and there is so much torque, you can still have fun even if you are not thrashing it.

damn! 120kph! thats taking it ez...

I ran mine in, but I really dont think it matters.
Company I work for makes lots of engines, (all diesel) but they say the new honing patterns are designed for 'go' from the off.

I wouldn't want to waste 1000 miles of driving by 'taking it easy' all the time... just think of the fun you're missing. Stops you wrapping it round a tree until you're more used to it though!

i ran mine in to be on the safe side its in the hand book for a reason i suppose,the engine will still be tight so(correct me if im wrong) booting it straight away could break a piston ring,damage a bearing shell etc,its only a few miles then you can drive it hard to to your hearts content.

it would seem that current thinking with modern engines is that no running in period is required, and that it might actually be detrimental to the engine in the long term to take it easy for the first 1000 miles. Have a look here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm and see what you think.

I simpy made sure the engine was properly warmed up, then gave it some stick as soon as I could.

Yep running in the Pads is good for 120 miles. Then just take it higher in the rev range over the next few hundred miles.
So long as the engine is warmed up everything will be fine.

For the engine, I basically followed the "mototune" page's recommendations. (follow the link LittleWing posted).

To me it makes sense:

Engine warm, do heavy in-gear accelerating/decelerating, without going near redline. The idea is to load the engine, in both accel and decel, to bed the piston rings properly.

I would be conservative on up and downshifts, and bed the brake pads carefully.

However, on your very first roundabout, there's nothing to stop you from provoking lift-off oversteer and regaining control with your Gen-2 Haldex (ESP off!). Put a smile on my face since day one.

Great choice of car Nick!!