is this a prob with my diff

brownie 25

Reaction score
hi all,
i have a 01 a4 2.5 quattro sport,when i do a tight turn whilst driving at low speed it is like if there is a locked diff or welded diff seems the wheels a hopping but if i just do the same turn but free wheeling it seems fine any idea what is causing this.

Has it recently got worse?

All quattros have a certain element of front wheel scuff due to the relatively fixed nature of the torsen diff.

My understanding is if the wheels are turning then the diff and gearbox are as well regardless of if its in gear or free wheeling. so as it only does it under load could be cv joints or suspension arms maybe. I had clunking and felt like something catching under load when turning and it was the lower suspension arms

sorry meant to say it coming from back wheels,the reason i say locked diff is i had an opel omega with a welded diff and that is how it feels but as i said it only when under load.

i saw something like that on an old land rover. your diff alows the wheels on an axle to spin at different speed's for when your cornering and if it not working then the left wheel when turning right would hop.

try putting it full lock right and try to push itin neutral with the handbrake off. if its harder to move than usal then you'll need to get your diff checked.

hopefull its not the same problem because i had to replace the diff.

Last edited:
it will roll fine it only happens when you actually drive it

Have the same issue on my Quattro and it is wear in the rear diff. The problem is that previous owners have not fitted 4 new tyres at the same time. If you just replace the fronts and have worn rears or visa versa then this causes "wind up" on the rear diff crown and pinion and causes wear which then causes slackness in the rear diff transmission.

The way to check if you have a worn rear diff is to get the car onto a drive on ramp so there is weight on all four wheels, then rock the propshaft entering the rear diff with one hand whilst holding one of the driveshafts to the rear wheels. If there is wear then you will be able to turn the propshaft an inch either way with no movement on the driveshaft.

If you have not got access to a ramp then you might be able to crawl under if you park 2 wheels on a curb and go in form the back of the car.

If you buy a second hand rear diff then make sure you physically check it in the same fashion as mentioned above before purchase. Remember a low mile rear diff does not mean that it will be okay if all four tyres were not replaced at the same time.

Cheers.