is this a write off?

glenandem

Reaction score

some idiot in a transit went down the side of it, ripped the rear quarter open and damaged the rear arch, the rear bumper scuffed,rear light cracked and drivers mirror casing cracked.
ive got it insured for 4k just not sure if they'll write it off which im not sure im happy about as ive down loads to it including new wings,cambelt flywheel and clutch brakes all round etc plus got my ac fixed recently lol!!

4k insurance, its repairable for sure, but they might, if so just buy back of them for cheap

suppose worse case they did write it off,and i could buy it back would it be classed as a cat write off being subject to an insurance write off?

Despite what you have it insured for they will only pay a percentage of the total cost before it becomes an in economical repair.
As for buying it back, for me that would depend on how much you like the car and what your future plans are, I think if it were mine I would get the agreed pay out price and if I could buy it back and get it repaired I would go for it.
Good luck dealing with the insurance company.

Buy it back and maybe rs4 panels ??

lol rs4 arches would be mint!
im with AA so called them this afternoon, they put me through to deals on theyre behalf and theyve arranged to have acourtesy car dropped first thing tomorrow and the local bodyshop have called tonight and arranged to collect and assess it tomorrow so hopefully should get ball rolling quickly with less hassle.
bodyshop guy said they usually write them off if its 60-70% cost so who knows what will happen as i imagine a rear quarter panel isnt a 5 minute job and even though the arches was getting that weird audi paint bubble defect i dont want a rear quarter where i can see the repair so i presume theyll have to patch paint into rear doors too so it doesnt look out of place then theres rear bumper and light and im sure the arch has been pushed into the wheel slightly as i had to pull it out to stop it rubbing near bottom!

I know it was my front wing but I had
Front wing
Full sill cover,
new headlight,
refurbished wheel
And front wing, door and sill painted on a non fault accident on my 2004 cab with 178k on the clock.
Didn't get written off

Sorry to hear about this, that's one nasty war scar!

Personally (and presuming this would have been an option in your situation) I would have asked the other guy to foot the bill and resolve it outside insurance as no doubt the car will now go down as a cat C/D so resale will plummet and insurance will skyrocket especially with a new claim on top (regardless of fault). Guessing my situation is probably different though as I have friends who repair cars for a living and a very reasonably priced Audi graveyard just down the road.

Jeez, what s mess. Dread to think what the tranny van looked like.

Hope it gets sorted fella.

Blimey mate......sorry to see this.

Is the rear wheel/axle ok?

I would say it is not a write off but depends on the garages quotes and their labour charges.

Oh dear, thats not good.

When I had someone reverse into my fiesta when I passed my test, the assessor gave me two options there and then - either he could arrange for the car to be repaired or he could write a cheque for £700.
He was a top bloke - which meant I could get the damage repaired by a good bodyshop, have a few other bodywork issues sorted out aswell and was left with £200 at the end of it all.

Cheers for reply's guys, well they picked it up this morning and guy didn't seem too optimistic about saving it, had a flat tyre too first thing so the transits definitely hit the rear wheel!
I'm just worried that they'll give me a low price if they write it off worse case scenario as I had it down as being worth 4k and I've just recently replaced all the major Bits on it with front wings etc too.
For me these 1.9 tdi seem to go for more than the book says they're worth especially if they're decent and I've got to think about what I'd buy next with the pay out as it's not my fault some plank ripped my car open!!
The transit wasnt that bad believe it or not, front wing, wheel scuffed and front corner bumper, just can't believe he's torn a big chunk out rather than dent it!!
It looks like a space shuttle that's been hit by foam!

Ouch! Hope this works out, keep us updated. Car enthusiasts worst nightmare having it towed with no sense of what's happening. Fingers crossed they fix it up and give it back as judging by the pictures and description the other guy should be suffering rather than you and your poor car.

Hopefully you've got all the receipts for the parts / work you've had done, and in any event the insurance assessor will take account of the overall condition of the car, so always worth highlighting the work done on it.

write off
parts labour paint at a body shop rate

hi pal looking around ebay autotrader etc at rough market prices and they dont half jump from £1200 right up to 5-6k for a minter, i know from working in the trade that the thing that keeps these prices up is that 1.9 tdi engine everyone wants one that hasnt done moon mileage, mines done 135k and runs sweet with everything done to it, bodywise it wasnt the best but was just starting to tackle that with 2 new front wings and all it needed was the rear quarters painting and front bumper as that was stone chipped.
i think if they value my car at 3500ish even though i had it insured for 4k then theyre bound to write it off when you think about the labour of stripping down the rear end taking the side window out etc and then cuting and welding a new quarter panel in with paint etc, one thing im gonna make sure though is i do get a decent payout as i planned to keep it for a long time with everything i replaced on it and just passed its mot last month, at the end of the day that money has got to get me something similar and i really dont want to be taking gearboxes out or front ends off again to do waterpumps cambelts etc.
i called today and they havent had time to price it all up yet but he's going to tell me tomorrow if its a lemon or not, the loan car i got was a brand new top of the range rav4 really nice with all the touch screen media player etc but took it on a run to leeds as i went shopping with the wife and only got 42mpg even with a 6 speed box, my a4 used to get that driving like a nob on the motorway,in fact i get near that driving a few miles to school and back everyday!!!

Sounds like it may be worth while buying back if they write it off.
Remember - never accept the first offer!

well got the call today from bodyshop and its working out at £4190 to repair it!!
so gonna start browsing seeing what cars are out there but im dreading what offer im gonna get from insurance, i'd be happy with 3,5k even though it stands me at way more that but judging by whats out there on autotrader i reckon they'll offer about 2.5k.
not fair how some plonk spanks my car and now im most likely gonna get a peanuts cheque that i got to find something similar that wont have had everything ive done to it!
made my weekend that has!!

4kto fix think the body shop has told you that so they don't have to mend it 2000 quid tops to sort that out

Bodyshops use Thatcham to price their work, these are proved times as agreed with the Insurance companies.
No doubt you can get any work done cheaper, but these places won't use Thatcham times or procedures!!

Don't be afraid to argue with the insurers if you don't get what you want. I've had a few punch ups with them and always got close to what i wanted.

My XR2i was written off (shell was well gone) and they offered me £500 which they upped to £700. Several months fighting got me £2800.

Brothers Fiesta RS Turbo, declared right off and offered £900. 12 months of arguements they paid out £3,000 and repaired it at a body shop of my stipulation with genuine panels.

Worth the aggro really.

Ah yes, with me some mug opened his door when I was driving passed taking my wing mirror, ruled in my favour and... god so many personal details I shouldn't be sharing here, but basically it was sorted to top knotch condition for sub £100... and we claimed a little more, in all fairness we took it to a garage that was affiliated with the insurance company first so presumably they gave an even higher quote then what my friends garage took, plus I knew he'd actually do a decent job.

Reactions: sabaxter

still waiting for insurance to contact me with an offer but went and cleared the car out this morning, the wife is gutted she loved the car, its been uber reliable and great on mpg,even this 14 reg rav4 we got doesnt do as well!

Sorry in advance if I'm talking crap. If you and your other half really like the car then buy the car back after pushing for the best offer, then have it repaired by an independent garage or individual you trust. I know it will have that Cat d or c stigma attached but keep the car.
The cost of buy back and repair should be way below your insurance payment if you can get some sensible quotes for repairs mate.

If they offer you a sum for a write off.. Don't take it.. say they are going for much more than that if they really are.. no word of a lie the Mrs wrote her first car off and when the women phoned up for a write off price (was an instant write off) she gave a quote, and the brother in law took the phone and said the car was worth more than that (was old year but low mileage) and she said hold on.. then replied with I can see the car with similar low mileage on Autotrader! Autotrader! Going for "X" amount so Ill offer you this.. which was more than the first quote.. I couldn't believe they would just look online for similar car prices lol

I thought they go on book value and it's up to you to justify the car is worth more than that figure.

Yeah I had never heard of it.. I couldnt believe it until I jumped on the phone to confirm lol.. this was with Endsleigh :)

If they offer you a sum for a write off.. Don't take it.. say they are going for much more than that if they really are.. no word of a lie the Mrs wrote her first car off and when the women phoned up for a write off price (was an instant write off) she gave a quote, and the brother in law took the phone and said the car was worth more than that (was old year but low mileage) and she said hold on.. then replied with I can see the car with similar low mileage on Autotrader! Autotrader! Going for "X" amount so Ill offer you this.. which was more than the first quote.. I couldn't believe they would just look online for similar car prices lol
That's exactly what they did when the wife had her car written off a few years ago. They rang up and made an offer, I refused it on the grounds that we couldn't replace the car with similar for that money. The man said that if I looked on Autotrader at similar spec cars with that mileage there offer was good.
The car was a Fiesta so there were loads of them and I found several with very similar spec /mileage / condition and they were offering money that would buy about 80% of the cars. I rang them back and argued the car had been recently serviced/ had new tyres which it had and in the end they offered another £150.
It's hard to argue against it and you really want more to make up for the grief and hassle you have to go through but they are just interested in replacement cost of the vechicle like for like.
It's different when your car is non standard with many extras / mods on then the value is harder to quantify.
I am sure that a repair for your car wouldn't cost anywhere near £4000 if you were paying for it personally.

Karl.

Would imagine it should be sub £500 to make it barely noticable and £1000 upwards for an all out job. If it was mine I'd get a new tyre, rear light, filler the gap (or a similar job) then get it all sprayed, could replace the sills and other parts also refurbing the alloys but the cost/benefit wouldn't be worth it (to me anyway). Saying that I am currently driving with no front lower bumper and a hole in the rear where someone hit me.

Ouch. That repair price will be all new parts, brand new wheel etc, and of course a top-notch authorised repairer - if I was in your position, I'd be taking the car to an indy and getting an idea of whether they could successfully repair it, with secondhand parts wherever possible. Then consider whatever the insurer offers as a write-off with you retaining the car.

still wainting guyd cant beleive ive not heard anything back even though its been christmas, they got the report and told me it was a write off a week or two before christmas.
really missing the old a4 now this rav4 is top spec brand new but its horrible to drive compared to that theres no audi/vw tdi boost through the gears and the mpg isnt as good either!
hopefully next week is the week i hear something but im thinking about asking to buy it back now and ignore the cat c-d stigmatism as i will just keep it for a few more years as i know its mechanically sound and run it into the ground and still have a few grand in my pocket!!

Reactions: BakPak and S4_dan
That's ****! We currently having a nightmare trying to sort out the qashqai after someone drove into the side and saying it or fault :(

I don't think you're going to have a few grand left over :(

I wouldn't be surprised if they come back with an offer of keeping the motor and £2k. Then obviously you need to repair it and get your pants pulled down at resale time.

Insurance - ****** hate dealing with them, even more annoying when not your fault!

Dave

The body on this car is so easy to repair .. Find an avant in breakers yard cut a patch out of the penal you need .. Trim to size place over your panel draw round it cut out then weld in your panel grind weld flat fill and paint

Reactions: DieselJake and spartacus 68
listen lads, that can be patched over, the welds grinded down and flattened, bit of the magic filler to smooth it over, primed & painted and you would never know its been done, Ive seen a Cosworth that have a V shaped floor plan after it had hit a lap-posted be pulled and put back to straight in my day.

Reactions: BakPak
why not just cut the insurance company out and just get it fixed by a body shop yourself and hand the bill to the **** that did it of there insurance company direct ?
I think Diesel Jake knows a bit about that scenario lol.

Reactions: DieselJake
Hopefully you can get this repaired and take insurance payout after you've haggled for fair price. I'd investigate option of cutting in new section without completely renewing rear quarter. Looks like a nice car.

cheers guys, its abit more that just that torn piece though as its bent all around the arch below it too and he hit the wheel and hopefully just damaged the tyre and not the suspension, ive had a guy who said he would cut it out and put a new quarter on and paint it all for a grand?