Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New Cars and Private Plates

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status

Question New Cars and Private Plates

Anyone got any experience of this?

My current S3 has a private plate on which I would like to transfer to my new 8V S3. Whats the best way to go about this? Do a direct transfer? Or take it off current car, put on retention, and then put on new car?

Just thinking if I transfer it direct, might be confusing for things like insurance etc?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter
    I have a private plate. I took it off my old car and put it on retention with the DVLA, and then I will transfer it to my new car.

For me, I want to drive the new car on the new 63 plate, so it made sense to put the plate onto retention, and then put it onto the new car in March when the 14 plate comes out.

It's straight forward to do, just complete a form and send it, with the logbook and the money, to the DVLA. When you want to register the new car with your plate, you do the same thing. You obviously need to inform your insurance company of the new registration.

It should be fine to do a direct transfer if you prefer. It takes the DVLA a few weeks to issue a new logbook and tax disc anyway, so you just need to let your insurance company know when you have the new logbook back and are ready to fit the plates.
    Audi A3 Sportback 8V 1.6 TDI S-Line S-Tronic. Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Electric Heated/Folding Mirrors, Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, SD Satellite Navigation, DAB Radio, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Autoglym Lifeshine

1st Gear

Status
    A direct transfer from one car to an other is £80 whereas putting it on retention is £105.

You can keep the number on a retention certificate for a year for the £105 cost.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Ok cheers guys. Sounds like it might be more straight forward to put it on retention and then swap it later.

How long does it take the DVLA to put on retention and reissue old (original) plate?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    How long does it take the DVLA to put on retention and reissue old (original) plate?
    Mine came in 3 days for the original plate; then about 4 more to get retention certificate.

(PS don't forget to tell insurance company when you put original plate back on)
    Week 40: Brilliant Red S3 SB, manual, luna silver alcantara, anthracite alloys, comfort pack, non smoking package, tyre pressure warn, folding mirrors, cruise control, rear parking sensors, SD-satnav.
    Delivered on-time.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Thanks guys

1st Gear

Status
    I've had to put private plate on rentention also. Then when new 14 plate come out I shall put it on.. I was just wondering I've paid £105 to put on retention for one year.. Will I have to pay transfer fee on top or is that free once plate is on retention?
    Previous Car - Audi A3 8P Sportback in lava grey.. 2.0 170 S-Line
    Auto lights & wipers, Leathers, Auto-dim Mirror, Bluetooth, IPod Dock

Current car
    - Audi A3 8V Hatchback in glacier white.. 2.0 150 S-Line
    Privacy glass, Satnav, Audi Sound System, S-Line Suspension
    Ordered 15/6/13 .. Build week 47 .. Picked up 6/12/13

1st Gear

Status
    You will not have to pay a fee to put the number on the retention certificate on the car
    the_lecht_rocks likes this.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

3rd Gear

Status
    I just got the dealer to do it. He asked if we wanted to put the plate on the car and I said no just put it on retention, and that was it the dealer did the rest.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Banned

Status
    Why bother.. personally I think PP's make a car look cheap. Just my 2p!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Why bother.. personally I think PP's make a car look cheap. Just my 2p!
    Guess you wont like the one I have ordered then lol...Some things have to be done, some people like everyone to know that they have a new car others like people to look at their plate. I had one on my M3 and had quite a few people comment on it, sometimes stopped at junctions and see people taking pictures of it and a couple of people asking me if it cost £5k.

m3.jpg
    Buneet likes this.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ivicker View Post
    Guess you wont like the one I have ordered then lol...Some things have to be done, some people like everyone to know that they have a new car others like people to look at their plate. I had one on my M3 and had quite a few people comment on it, sometimes stopped at junctions and see people taking pictures of it and a couple of people asking me if it cost £5k.
    Just the sort of cars PP's are for but an Audi S3 no way!

3rd Gear

Status
    Just the sort of cars PP's are for but an Audi S3 no way!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    LOL agree, don't see why not.!

I just have my personal plate transferred from one car to the next by the dealer. It usual means when I go to collect my new car there are two A3s on the forecourt with the same number. The one I have just driven there to trade-in and the new one sitting there waiting for me to collect. My plate has been on my last 10 cars. The trade-in car has never been issued with a number so it gets a new one appropriate to it age when it is re-registered.

The last time I changed my car I sold my A3 privately so I put the number on retention and then gave the dealer the retention certificate to register the new one. Having the latest 63 plate etc has never bothered me.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Banned

Status
    Having the latest plate doesn't bother me.. having a PP does.. I never want one.

I know my name and initial and why would I want to detract from a nice looking car with badly spaced, usually illegal and tasteless PP's regularly spotted on naff cars and caravans.

I appreciate it is a free world but in my view PP's are BO 11 OCK (S)
    Belfin likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Would rather have people ask me about my car or make no comment at all rather comment on a number plate. If I had an extra £5k towards my car I would spend it on optional extras for my personal use rather than as an advert on how flash I am

some pp's are fine if you like them, stuff like names or initials etc but when you get a plate to say its a vxr or M3 is total pointless, might as well get a coloured windscreen visor.
    PilotAudi and Belfin like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Would rather have people ask me about my car or make no comment at all rather comment on a number plate. If I had an extra £5k towards my car I would spend it on optional extras for my personal use rather than as an advert on how flash I am

some pp's are fine if you like them, stuff like names or initials etc but when you get a plate to say its a vxr or M3 is total pointless, might as well get a coloured windscreen visor.
    I didn't say it cost 5K, nowhere near that. Didn't get the coloured windscreen visor as I couldn't find one that said Ian.

I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a plate but anything up to £1000 is worth it imho. I have one ready for the S3 and it cost £250, well worth the money!

Banned

Status
    I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a plate but anything up to £1000 is worth it imho. I have one ready for the S3 and it cost £250, well worth the money!
    I don't think Dave or I would want one if you gave us one!! Lowers the tone IMHO. Can make some interesting ones though but NOT 4 ME ... makes you look like ACH4V ;-0

3rd Gear

Status
    I don't think Dave or I would want one if you gave us one!! Lowers the tone IMHO. Can make some interesting ones though but NOT 4 ME ... makes you look like ACH4V ;-0

Having the latest plate doesn't bother me.. having a PP does.. I never want one.

I know my name and initial and why would I want to detract from a nice looking car with badly spaced, usually illegal and tasteless PP's regularly spotted on naff cars and caravans.

I appreciate it is a free world but in my view PP's are BO 11 OCK (S)
    I agree about badly spaced plates and plates with illegal lettering etc and also plates trying to make a word or similar, but I'm sure you can work out what my plate is and is perfectly legal and correctly spaced. Anything less would be totally unacceptable. To me a personal plate should be personal to the owner and not the car. I purchased my plate direct from the DVLA back in 1991 when they first allowed you to purchase a new year plate before they were issued. I have also purchased a matching plate for my wife which is currently on her Audi A1. It has turned a few heads when the two cars have been parked next to each other.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

I am WOLF.......

Status
    Privates plates are a personal thing,you either want one or you dont,if you dont then its fine but certainly doesn't matter what car it goes on.
    I have one currently on retention that will be put on my A4 very soon!
    What i do hate is incorrect spacings and styles to 'make' a word..............if i was a copper i would always be on the look out for illegal plates and issue fixed penalties for every one that didn't conform to uk laws!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF View Post
    Privates plates are a personal thing,you either want one or you dont,if you dont then its fine but certainly doesn't matter what car it goes on.
    I have one currently on retention that will be put on my A4 very soon!
    What i do hate is incorrect spacings and styles to 'make' a word..............if i was a copper i would always be on the look out for illegal plates and issue fixed penalties for every one that didn't conform to uk laws!!!!!
    Perhaps better still would be to get the DVLA to take away the right to use that particular plate and make them have a normal number plate.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    I didn't say it cost 5K, nowhere near that. Didn't get the coloured windscreen visor as I couldn't find one that said Ian.

If that's the type of thing you like then fine . For me though whether it's a few hundred or thousands I would not do it., particularly IMHO on an Audi as the brand is about understated quality rather than being in your face.
    Belfin likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

I am WOLF.......

Status
    These plates have clearly been altered.

J10E XO should be J10 EXO.....JOE

J9EY L should be J9 EYL.........JOEY

M16K OV should be M16 KOV.... MICK

M1 8MW A should be M18 MWA....... BMW

All these have been altered and being sold on ebay,some actually on the car as it reads.Nothing but a 'up yours' to the uk laws on number plates.
    Last edited by WOLF; 27th October 2013 at 16:10.

3rd Gear

Status
    Dealers doing mine at cost, how easy is that?
    Steeve

Born to Fish

Status
    Will be putting my private plate on as soon as the paperwork arrives from DVLA, the latest reg (63) does nothing for me, where as my private plate makes it our own personal car that could be brand new or 12 months old ! Who gives a damn.
    Material things are actually very unimportant when It comes down to real things in life.
    WOLF likes this.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

Banned

Status
    Isn't a PP rather 'materialistic' Mr Fish?

4th Gear

Status
    Isn't buying a £35k car also materialistic?!
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

Born to Fish

Status
    No Mr Whale I think not !
    I worked hard for 37 years, retired aged 51, gave financial help to my daughters regarding their first cars and then again with their house deposits, I earned it and i damn well plan on spending it.
    Money does not make you happy, what money enables you to do does.
    s33nyboy12 likes this.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

Banned

Status
    Not really interested in life history but presumably there is some point you are trying to make???

Money does not make you happy I agree but spending money on PP's has to be materialistic.. a pre-occupation with a material object.

I prefer to spend my hard earned money (over a longer period) on other materialistic things of greater value to me.. Panoramic Roofs, holidays etc.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow thedooker On Twitter Visit thedooker's Youtube Channel
    I will be transferring my plate over to my new car as I have with the previous 3 cars. It is a plate private to me and is always done legally. Being into detailing my car often looks better than most cars do at 6 months old so the private plate can help hide it's age a bit too
    97catalunya likes this.
    S3, Ice Silver, Black Styling package, Comfort Pack, Electric mirrors, Interior Light pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, B&O sound system.

1st Gear

Status
    the police in Aberdeen are fining people 100 pounds per altered plate so a owner can be fined 200 pounds per car. Not worth the hassle doing the alterations as it looks cheap and tacky.
    PilotAudi and WOLF like this.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Transferring is easy weather it's an old or new car. Dvla website is useful and states what forms to use.

I use my private plate to save me money. I get a car allowance and in the guidance the car should be less than four years old. With the private plate I can run any early model year car a couple years longer by hiding its age. I can't see the point in selling a car just because it's a certain age. If it's running sweet I'd rather be driving a car where I know the history and how it's been driven for a good percentage of its life. (Apart from my current a4 needing an engine rebuild, that's another story) The company I work for have never had an issue with this as my now nearly 5 year old a4 looks almost as fresh as a 1-2 year old one as I meticulously look after my cars. I do believe however it's personal choice and wouldn't mock anyone who had a pp legally presented of coarse.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLF View Post
    These plates have clearly been altered.

J10E XO should be J10 EXO.....JOE

J9EY L should be J9 EYL.........JOEY

M16K OV should be M16 KOV.... MICK

M1 8MW A should be M18 MWA....... BMW

All these have been altered and being sold on ebay,some actually on the car as it reads.Nothing but a 'up yours' to the uk laws on number plates.
    I think all BMWs should come with private plates

IM A TW*T
    IM A C*NT
    IM A KN*B

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
    I think all BMWs should come with private plates

IM A TW*T
    IM A C*NT
    IM A KN*B
    TO 55 ERS

Maybe.... PP's are so CHAV IMHO and ideally suited for BMWs

3rd Gear

Status
    TO 55 ERS

Maybe.... PP's are so CHAV IMHO and ideally suited for BMWs
    I know, I hate BMW drivers with a passion - only the other day a driver in a new BMW 3 series in slow move 20mph single file traffic decided he would use the BMW tailgate function which I think is the Audi active cruise control in reverse. I couldn't even see his number plate and barely his headlights so practically parking distance. After ordering my s3 the previous week and the fact I have 2 other cars I was sorely tempted to just slam on the brakes of my 10 year old pug 307 xsi.

Luckily for him im not that vindictive (and the pug has sentimental value as it was the 1st car I bought new) but I was sorely tempted. What is the point of driving so close.
    Last edited by royalsteve68; 29th October 2013 at 23:22.
    PilotAudi likes this.

Banned

Status
    I know, I hate BMW drivers with a passion - only the other day a driver in a new BMW 3 series in slow move 20mph single file traffic decided he would use the BMW tailgate function which I think is the Audi active cruise control in reverse. I couldn't even see his number plate and barely his headlights so practically parking distance. After ordering my s3 the previous week and the fact I have 2 other cars I was sorely tempted to just slam on the brakes of my 10 year old pug 307 xsi.

Luckily for him im not that vindictive (and the pug has sentimental value as it was the 1st car I bought new) but I was sorely tempted. What is the point of driving so close.
    Obviously an Arsehole follower!

6th Gear

Status

I tend to just slow right down... as far as I'm concerned following at that distance is dangerous so I'm going to reduce the impact by slowing down.
    cuke2u likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Born to Fish

Status
    Whilst working I was coming back from a fuel test run one day with a MAN TGX and a 40 foot loaded with bagged sand, all in we were. smack on 44 ton, anyways I got stuck across a roundabout exit due someone in a van blocking my exit, you don't just squeeze through with one of them.
    I hear a horn blaring and turning to my right see a guy in a BMW nosed up to the side guards of the trailer flashing his lights, blowing the horn and getting very excited fastened in his chariot. I drop the drivers window and give him a big smile and a friendly wave, well he got more and more irate so I smiled and waved a bit more, when my exit did clear I purposely hung about a while so he could see it was clear in front of me and I wasn't moving. He must have been very close to chest pains judging by how red his face was.
    Belfin and 97catalunya like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast