EM TuningAH Fabrications
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hittchy
  • 1 Post By viperfire

Thread: Audi A3 SD Sat-Nav

Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 SD Sat-Nav

I just wondered if anyone had gone back and had the SD Sat-Nav upgrade after purchasing the A3? I would have liked to have had it but for £495 I just couldn't justify it. I am also fairly techie and so I know that if they can offer it as an anytime upgrade then it is just a software 'update' and maps on an SD card which is a 5min job and not worth £495. Has anyone gone back to a dealer and and had this done and if so did you manage to push them down on price? Ideally I'm thinking £150!! I might be dreaming but I still reckon that is £150 profit for them.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure the ~£500 is mostly the software, license and SD card. Fitting is extra. In most cases so far on this forum people have managed to get it fitted for free labour (as it is a quick job). I can't see Audi shifting much on this price I'm afraid.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

2nd Gear

Status
    They'll be paying a royalty for the map data but that's probably less than £20.

3rd Gear

Status
    Simple supply and demand unfortunately and perceived value to the end user. There's no shortage of takers at £500, so I'm not sure why they'd want to sell it to you at £150. If the production costs, licensing etc. cost only £50, they'd have to sell 4 at £150 to get anywhere near the profit on 1 at £500.

Just think, they've hit you for £25k for an Audi... could have had a Vauxhall Astra for £15k. Production costs are probably very similar but you chose Audi. Lots of people 'can't justify' spending money on an Audi but we do. I guess it depends on how much value you assign to the sat nav.

So to answer your question, you probably are dreaming. That's not a bad thing.... we all need dreams!
    screenbubble likes this.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The sat nav hardware is subsidised, hence why they charge the larger activation fee later, saves them having to fit many different level systems IMHO, I can see the logic & reason for expense.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Simple supply and demand unfortunately and perceived value to the end user. There's no shortage of takers at £500, so I'm not sure why they'd want to sell it to you at £150. If the production costs, licensing etc. cost only £50, they'd have to sell 4 at £150 to get anywhere near the profit on 1 at £500.

Just think, they've hit you for £25k for an Audi... could have had a Vauxhall Astra for £15k. Production costs are probably very similar but you chose Audi. Lots of people 'can't justify' spending money on an Audi but we do. I guess it depends on how much value you assign to the sat nav.

So to answer your question, you probably are dreaming. That's not a bad thing.... we all need dreams!
    Not a great example choosing a Vauxhall Astra they arn't that cheap....I moved from an Astra ecoflex 1.7Tdi to an Audi Sport 1.6Tdi (Company Car) P11D OTR price difference £550 more for the Audi...... think of Virgin and there activation fees

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by frazzeld View Post
    Not a great example choosing a Vauxhall Astra they arn't that cheap....I moved from an Astra ecoflex 1.7Tdi to an Audi Sport 1.6Tdi (Company Car) P11D OTR price difference £550 more for the Audi...... think of Virgin and there activation fees
    I disagree.

P11D bears no relation to the actual cost of cars. It's just for company car tax purposes. Look at the lease costs of an Astra versus A3. You're fortunate to have the choice of company car, but you can bet it's the lease cost rather than P11D that has any influence over your company's decision to offer it.

My local dealer was punting out Insignias at £14k last year. Try buying an A4 for that. Brokers offer up to a third off many Vauxhalls.

I'm guessing the OP is a private purchaser or the company would probably have bought the nav and this thread wouldn't exist!
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Its well worth 500 even though i didn't pay for it
    hittchy likes this.
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

Neutral

Status
    I asked my dealer how much to retro fit the SD Nav and he has quoted £550.00 inc' Vat. Seems a lot of money but a shame to have buttons saying Nav when in-fact, they don't do anything.

I will probably retro fit as long as I can privately sell my current car.
    On Order...Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Sportback S-Line. Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoking and Tyre Monitor...Due in July...ordered March

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the responses. I assume the licensing costs etc would all be soaked up by a bulk order from Audi. ie Audi have already paid for x amount of licenses for their sat navs. Whilst they need to recoup some of this cost when selling it will be nowhere near the £500 quid, probably closer to the £20 as suggested above.

When I said I can't justify the cost it is just because I don't do enough journeys where I require the sat nat. I can fully understand why somebody constantly using a sat nav could justify the £500. But for me you can get a separate top end sat nav device for £250-£300 and so the extra on top is just not worth it (especially as I already have a decent device). Though it would be nice not to have to carry a separate device around, for approx one user per month that is an expensive upgrade.

I think I will give it a few weeks and then go a try my luck with the dealer. In my eyes, other than the 'fitting', the SD card, and the licencing I can't see any other costs for them so at £150 would still be making money off me.

5th Gear

Status
    The SD card and license costs £500 as a part from Audi, the activation and fitting can be charged on top (I believe). I seriously doubt you'll get a big enough discount on the SD card and license to bring it down to £150, and then get free fitting on top. There just isn't that much mark up in it for the dealers.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Where are folks getting quotes of £500 - £550 for Sat Nav from? Glasgow and Stirling audi have quoted me 650 and £620 respectively.

5th Gear

Status
    Does that include labour?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys, Does the sd sat nav link to driver display? Does anyone have a direct comparison between hd and sd images on smaller screen? I. Collecting my new s3 this week not sure whether to get the sd sat nav. Many thanks

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add RYuill on Facebook

Audi A3 SD Sat-Nav

I was quoted £495 from Dundee. But as it says in another thread, if you buy the SD card with 2013 maps from ebay and get audi to activate it, you can get it all for about £260
    2014 S3, S-tronic, Glacier white, Black styling pack, Privacy glass, Light and rain sensor, LED headlights, Black 3D inlays, Non smoking pack, Adaptive cruise control, ASS, Hold assist, Sat Nav

Neutral

Status
    Got SD dealer fitted pre delivery as part of final deal re delays etc. Technically just a SD requiring audi activation yes and in that respect silly money (as much software) however so glad I got it and would recommend at £500 if deals can't be done. Good nav, brings Dis into play also etc.
    Delivered 1 March 2014, Estoril blue S3 Sportback STronic. B&O, Comfort, Aluminium rails, Interior Lights, Through load, lumbar, SD Sat Nav,TPM, Rev Mat.

Neutral

Status
    I have my map info running off a cd as who listens to cd's these days??, you can buy the latest years maps for about £30-40 on eBay

2nd Gear

Status
    Sat navigation are important and a bonus if selling the car. The whole point is that it's integrated with the car and part of the dash. Not only does the visual display comes up but on the display cluster it has additional information. Yes you can buy a top of the range sat nav for £150 buy you'll have cables trailing, and the hassle of putting it in and out of sight when leaving the car. I don't use the sat nav for all my journeys but it has helped me in the past. It shows what routes are blocked and given alternative layouts.

Bite the bullet and get it. You won't regret it and if you can afford an 18k+ luxury hot hatch then £500 is something to invest in.

Like most options, it makes the car more 'desirable' to sell or trade-in but does not add anything to it's value. The only 'option' that adds true value is the s-tronic gearbox and that is because cars fitted with it are listed and priced separately in the Audi price lists.

As far as the Audi Sat/Nav is concerned I personally don't like it and would never pay for the option but others do like it. The best thing is to try and drive a car with it fitted as I did, use it and see if you like it.

A lot can depend on the reason you want the Sat/Nav. If it's for warning you about speed cameras, the Audi unit is pretty useless at this as it's difficult to add the necessary POIs and even if you can, the system cannot give any form of audible warning. That's the main reason why I stuck with my small TomTom unit, hard-wired so than on 50mm of wiring is visible from the door surround rubber and the unit itself.
    Last edited by h5djr; 20th May 2014 at 11:24.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    It may not add value to the car in trade terms, but it does for private sales.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quoted 600 from dealer, I can't see how it risers from 495 to 600, 495 is dear how it jumps another 105 and I haven't collected the car yet.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add RYuill on Facebook
    495 is how much it would of cost if you had spect in from build, Dundee would of added it for nothing ready for pick up. Think they are being pretty tight if they are charging you extra for labour costs on top.
    2014 S3, S-tronic, Glacier white, Black styling pack, Privacy glass, Light and rain sensor, LED headlights, Black 3D inlays, Non smoking pack, Adaptive cruise control, ASS, Hold assist, Sat Nav

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks ryuill, they said they will activate it if I buy an sd card elsewhere will it work once system activated?

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add RYuill on Facebook
    Yes, a few people on here have bought the SD card from ebay, then it just needs activated. I'm pretty sure it has to be an official audi SD card. I think you can get the 2013 maps for about £40 and the 2014 for around £100ish.

Stronic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsur View Post
    Where are folks getting quotes of £500 - £550 for Sat Nav from? Glasgow and Stirling audi have quoted me 650 and £620 respectively.
    Got mine supplied and fitted at Audi Salisbury for £515 inc VAT, which I thought was reasonable when the cost is £495 for a factory order.

I must say I'm really pleased with the sat nav option, and the way it interacts with the other MMI functions.
    A3 Sport saloon 1.4 COD, Monsoon Grey + several nice options!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the help guys!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry another noob question if audi activate my nav can I purchase sd card later and just pop it in or is the activation linked to the card?

Stronic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by p 5ary View Post
    Sorry another noob question if audi activate my nav can I purchase sd card later and just pop it in or is the activation linked to the card?
    I think the activation is linked to the SD card.
    A3 Sport saloon 1.4 COD, Monsoon Grey + several nice options!

1st Gear

Status
    Interesting that this thread has popped up again as I've been pondering biting the bullet on this again recently. Has anyone bought an SD card off eBay; is there a catch? I don't understand where these are coming from (if they are genuine) as presumably Audi only sell them to dealers?

Also does anyone know if the dealer activation is just turning the function on, or is it card dependent? Where I'm going with this is if I decided I wanted to update in a couple of years time would it just be a matter of buying a new card, or would I need to take the car back to the dealer?
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by driver_tim View Post
    Interesting that this thread has popped up again as I've been pondering biting the bullet on this again recently. Has anyone bought an SD card off eBay; is there a catch? I don't understand where these are coming from (if they are genuine) as presumably Audi only sell them to dealers?

Also does anyone know if the dealer activation is just turning the function on, or is it card dependent? Where I'm going with this is if I decided I wanted to update in a couple of years time would it just be a matter of buying a new card, or would I need to take the car back to the dealer?
    If the activation is anything like the activation that was done on my A3 to enable to extra ACC menu then it is a matter of the technician put a dongle into the OBD port of your car. This then communicates with special laptop computer. The technician makes contact via internet with Audi in Germany and once the connection is made, goes through a series on menus. The necessary code change is then downloaded to the laptop and then to your car via the dongle. Job done. It took around 10 minutes in total for my activation to be completed and as it was done at a Aftersales Evening at my dealers it cost me nothing.

The technician did say this is now the way almost all the code changes are handled on the latest models.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi all, I'm taking delivery of a new A3 Sport 1.4 this weekend and I didn't go for the sat nav sd card, thinking I'll just buy the SD Card elsewhere at a later date. My dealer quoted £495 but would find out about activating a card if I buy it elsewhere.
    Can anyone offer a link to somewhere (ebay for example) of one that would be suitable? I can see a few on ebay right now around £100 but I just want to ensure I get the right one!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc83 View Post
    Hi all, I'm taking delivery of a new A3 Sport 1.4 this weekend and I didn't go for the sat nav sd card, thinking I'll just buy the SD Card elsewhere at a later date. My dealer quoted £495 but would find out about activating a card if I buy it elsewhere.
    Can anyone offer a link to somewhere (ebay for example) of one that would be suitable? I can see a few on ebay right now around £100 but I just want to ensure I get the right one!
    A lot depends on the cost Audi will charge to activate the system. As I said in my previous post, the only way to get the system activated is by a dealer connecting you car, via the internet, to Audi's central computer system. You may get an SD card cheap but the dealer will still probably charge you the standard price to get the system activated.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks, my dealer said they wouldn't activate a card if bought elsewhere so I'll contact a few others. I found a link to an SD card on ebay priced around £80 for 2014 maps so even if costs £160 for a dealer to plug in a laptop and activate it, it'll be half the price.