TPMS Malfunction

audia4kev

Reaction score
Have being getting this warning beeb and lamp in the instrument cluster. When the ignition is switch on for about 20 minutes, would any of you guys have any idea what could be the cause of this. is this a common problem. any help would be much appreciated. kev

Tyre pressure monitoring system... You got yourself a puncture by the sounds of it!

i taught that too but no sign of a puncture the flashes for about 1minute and stays on
. any other ideas

You've got a puncture! Doesn't need to be a flat, from memory it's about a 4psi drop.

You are kidding me with this question?

Have you even checked the air pressures in each tyre yet?

Reactions: johnnythepie
have checked tyre pressure and there is nothing wrong with them. they are all 29psi. so now genius that s not the problem.

Having checked the pressures are all good (although typically front and rear should nopt be same). It would be wise to relearn those stored values - button presses in MMI. All being 29 means nothing, unless you are absolutely confident they were all at that exact pressure when the sytstem was calibrated to reference.
  1. So start by checking what correct pressure should be - sticker on drivers door edge.
  2. Pump the tyres to the required pressures.
  3. Reset TPMS to that validated referfence point via MMI.
See what happens.

Having checked the pressures are all good (although typically front and rear should nopt be same). It would be wise to relearn those stored values - button presses in MMI. All being 29 means nothing, unless you are absolutely confident they were all at that exact pressure when the sytstem was calibrated to reference.
  1. So start by checking what correct pressure should be - sticker on drivers door edge.
  2. Pump the tyres to the required pressures.
  3. Reset TPMS to that validated referfence point via MMI.
See what happens.
Be aware that depending on your car the tyre pressures may be incorrect. The 19" wheels on mine (as fitted standard on the Dynamik) are not catered for on the sticker. Doh! I had my light come on and it just needed a check of pressures and a re set.

have checked tyre pressure and there is nothing wrong with them. they are all 29psi. so now genius that s not the problem.
As per Spr0cket

1.Read Owners Manual
2.Ensure correct pressure is in all tyres.29 is not correct for starters.
3.Reset TMPS in MMI.
4.If TMPS light comes on after a drive, check pressures.If pressures are what you put in, THEN you have a problem.Basics first.
5.Genius status not required for above steps.

As per Spr0cket

1.Read Owners Manual
2.Ensure correct pressure is in all tyres.29 is not correct for starters.
3.Reset TMPS in MMI.
4.If TMPS light comes on after a drive, check pressures.If pressures are what you put in, THEN you have a problem.Basics first.
5.Genius status not required for above steps.

lmfao.

so now genius thats not the problem.

LMAO, now now, I think the replies were a little expected given the original post.

Ok so it actually states malfunction in the dis, not warning of tyre pressures, in this circumstance it needs to be scanned & if its under warranty, just take it to audi, obviously after checking tpms in mmi :)

yes its says malfunction in the dis. no tyre change or no drop in tyre pressure. going to take it to audi to get it sorted. thanks for the help.

have had car in and out of audi 3 times to sort this problem. with them ending up changing the handbrake module to solve this problem.

Can i respectfully request that when people put up an issue they state ALL the facts. Otherwise you can come across as a little 'un-informed'. THe slight hints of sarcasm earlier on were down to insufficient details on the problem you was experiencing.

have had car in and out of audi 3 times to sort this problem. with them ending up changing the handbrake module to solve this problem.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’ve been getting a similar “TPMS Malfunction” (not pressure low/lost message) error message. Only happens once in a while, but goes away after being reset.

Was this similar to your issue @audia4kev? Do you remember how much and how difficult it wa to replace the handbrake module? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might this be the black module on the side of the ABS pump playing up?
Not sure if a diagnostics scan would tell you but it might

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk