AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Does my tyre look worn to you?

1st Gear

Status

Does my tyre look worn to you?

I appreciate that the pictures are not telling the full story but I had a nail like this stuck in my tyre:

I would get about 7 days out of it until it became flat so needed it fixed.

I went to the shop to get it repaired but at the time the man said that "my tyre is worn out and it will explode when it gets too hot"

to which my reply was "just fix the puncture"

Paid 7 quid job over - tyre looks ok so far...

considering a new tyre costs between £130 and £170 and > likely I will need to replace them all or in pairs I felt I made the right decision

here is some pics of my tyre that the guy saw:

this is tyre on front with size

does it look bad to you? Would you replace it?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    The puncture wasn't on the wall of the tyre by the way
    it was where the tyre meets the road

1st Gear

Status
    Hard to say for 100% because none of the pics shows the tread depth where the tyre meets the road. But from the pics alone I wouldn't have changed it. I also don't like to change one at a time so I would have forked out for a pair if it was needing to be replaced.

Neutral

Status
    You can use a 20 pence piece to check if they are still legal and most tyres have wear indicators buillt in but just legal tyres won't grip as well as ones with more tread.

Neutral

Status
    your tyre man is right, look at the sidewall, its been driven on for to long with not enough pressure, yes your have plenty of tread but your sidewall is gone, any tyre place will tell you the same

quattronly

Status
    Hard to tell, but looks like you've got about 3mm at least and assume that to be over the central 3/4 of the tread and continuously round the tyre. That's double the legal minimum, although at the level you want to start thinking aboutg changing. If you have winters, then change now and get a puncture repair. Otherwise I would find a good deal on 2 tyres (4 if its a quattro). You could always use that as a spare if repaired. Mich have a £50 fuel voucher deal of a pair of 18s, but I don't believe that's available at Costco who are probably due another 20% off deal soon.

235/40 18s look good value just now at Pneus-Online with PZero Rossos at £113 or Cooper Zeons at £91 from Camskill.

1st Gear

Status
    You need to make your own mind up about the tyre because if it blows a 80 with precious ones on board it's been your call!

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    I had exactly the same thing on my n/s rear. The tyre guy said the tyre was dead, and then showed me the inside where it had started to blister along the top of the side wall where it meets the tread from being driven with low pressure. £140 replacement is a better risk then if it will explode out the side or not at any speed.

My tyre guy is also a very good friend that I have known for years so has no ulterior motive for getting me to replace it.

My advice? Change it rather than risk it, its the only thing between you and possibly the ER.
    Two things you never use the word cheap when buying, brakes and tyres.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldlog View Post
    your tyre man is right, look at the sidewall, its been driven on for to long with not enough pressure, yes your have plenty of tread but your sidewall is gone, any tyre place will tell you the same
    +1 I wouldn't be driving on that tyre.
    A4 2004 - 1.8TQ Limited Edition, 6 spd, Recaro Interior
    Mods - RNS-e (MK2); Rear Screens; PS2; AMI; Cruise; DIS; 18" RS6s; Carbonio CAI; Milltek CAT; Milltek CAT back Exhaust; Shark Stage 2 ReMap; RS4 RARB; HIDS; Auto Dim Rear View; RS4 Pedals, Gear Stick & Handbrake; Forge DV; Black Optics; Retro Fit Black Headlining; Retro Fit Power Folding Mirrors
    Mods to come - Memory seats; rear electric windows

1st Gear

Status
    thanks so should I replace all four or just the back two?

the front passenger side loses pressure not enough to go flat though

the back rear one is the one in pic -

235/40 18s look good value just now at Pneus-Online with PZero Rossos at £113 or Cooper Zeons at £91 from Camskill. - are these any good?

or should I go for pirelli or continental bit pricey but worth the money?

1st Gear

Status
    ok so might be a strange question but do you think these tyres were originally on the car from the factory? or installed after?

trying to work out how long they been on the car for

5th Gear

Status
    tyres are date stamped
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by psd99 View Post
    thanks so should I replace all four or just the back two?
    If your car is a Quattro, you really must replace all four at once. If it's FWD, you'd be ok going for just the rears. My personal preference is to replace them all at once, but that's just one (amongst many) manifestation of my car-related OCD.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

1st Gear

Status
    I see
    and it is quattro

I see camskill is the cheapest so do u all order them from there directly to tyre fitter
    and get them to fit it?

how much should the labour be on fitting on tyre?

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow ruffrida On Twitter Visit ruffrida's Youtube Channel
    Labour on fitting a tyre?? Never heard of that, it is usually part of the price of the tyre, and from the looks of yours and 10 yrs tyre experience would tell me it knackered.

A soft side wall will cause a blow out at high speeds or high temperature, not worth the risk bud, get a decent pair, and if you find someone that sells part worn's he should be willing to buy your other one from ya
    B6 1.9tdi Quattro Avant Sport,
    Full zenon bulb kit, Plug and Play chip @165bhp, EGR Delete pipe, Chrome Mirrors, Chrome side repeaters, wind deflectors, Front center arm rest, LED number plate bulbs (when they work), Rear tints, De-Badge Rear, 19" BBS LM's,De-Wiper
    Coming soon -35mm Springs, De-cat pipe.
    Wish List; FMIC, BV43 turbo, Bigger Remap, Fat Clutch, Stereo upgrade, Full Stainless with twin exit !
    Chuck it in & pin it out, nothing better than doing it in the dirt !!

1st Gear

Status
    thanks tbh they are all like that
    think the date on the tyre is from 2006 but the car is an 07 plate (think it was made in 2006 though)
    if true these tyres been on the car since factory

I'll have to get all four changed over soon

1st Gear

Status
    done just over 63k so far

Short Back

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrida View Post
    Labour on fitting a tyre?? Never heard of that, it is usually part of the price of the tyre, and from the looks of yours and 10 yrs tyre experience would tell me it knackered.

A soft side wall will cause a blow out at high speeds or high temperature, not worth the risk bud, get a decent pair, and if you find someone that sells part worn's he should be willing to buy your other one from ya
    well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! The rest of us motoring mortals usually pay between £15-20 inc. VAT.

Don't forget to look at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 ...had 4 fitted 1500 miles ago & can't fault them - wet or dry.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow ruffrida On Twitter Visit ruffrida's Youtube Channel
    well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! - Too true Artimus too true
    B6 1.9tdi Quattro Avant Sport,
    Full zenon bulb kit, Plug and Play chip @165bhp, EGR Delete pipe, Chrome Mirrors, Chrome side repeaters, wind deflectors, Front center arm rest, LED number plate bulbs (when they work), Rear tints, De-Badge Rear, 19" BBS LM's,De-Wiper
    Coming soon -35mm Springs, De-cat pipe.
    Wish List; FMIC, BV43 turbo, Bigger Remap, Fat Clutch, Stereo upgrade, Full Stainless with twin exit !
    Chuck it in & pin it out, nothing better than doing it in the dirt !!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    If your car is a Quattro, you really must replace all four at once. If it's FWD, you'd be ok going for just the rears. My personal preference is to replace them all at once, but that's just one (amongst many) manifestation of my car-related OCD.
    What's the theory on that - mine is quattro and i always replace pairs but every other time all 4. Why could you not do them as front rear pairs - i've done god know how many sets of tyres in 130,000 miles and not had an issue...... Oh, and I don't mean it's right or wrong I was just wondering!
    A4 2004 - 1.8TQ Limited Edition, 6 spd, Recaro Interior
    Mods - RNS-e (MK2); Rear Screens; PS2; AMI; Cruise; DIS; 18" RS6s; Carbonio CAI; Milltek CAT; Milltek CAT back Exhaust; Shark Stage 2 ReMap; RS4 RARB; HIDS; Auto Dim Rear View; RS4 Pedals, Gear Stick & Handbrake; Forge DV; Black Optics; Retro Fit Black Headlining; Retro Fit Power Folding Mirrors
    Mods to come - Memory seats; rear electric windows

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! The rest of us motoring mortals usually pay between £15-20 inc. VAT.

Don't forget to look at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 ...had 4 fitted 1500 miles ago & can't fault them - wet or dry.
    what £10 to £15 per tyre?

I see if I buy the tyres from camskil and then I go to a site like etyre there is a £40 quid difference per tyre.

meaning if I bought the tyres from a site and got them fitted I could save around £160 quid.

much more hassle though and I need to find a place that is willing to take my old tyres in

I'll check the price on the goodyears

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Psd99, where are you based?

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    Psd99, where are you based?
    Greater West London mate Uxbridge area.

Neutral

Status
    Greater West London mate Uxbridge area.
    I have used Wembley Tyres before. If you find the cheapest price you can find online and give them a call they will usually match it and fitting is quite cheap. Either that ot tyretraders.co.uk are one of the cheapest i have come across. Select the tyre you want and then they deliver the tyres to the nearest authorised fitter who puts them on for you. One all in price.

From experience Sessanta Ultrac's are good and also Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. Both very good prices for high performance tyres.
    08 2.0 TFSI Quattro SE V2, Milltek RS4 system, RS4 ARB, AMD Stage 1 remap, Xenons, Valcona leather, RNSE, Eibach Pro Springs, Bose.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep i would get them replaced, i prefer Michelins personally, i hate nails in my tyres, ive had them in every car i have blody had !! thats the reason i wont buy a Bmw, You will have to buy a brand new tyres just because of a nail, no thanks :P
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.

Reputation given for the best answer.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chasdrury View Post
    What's the theory on that - mine is quattro and i always replace pairs but every other time all 4. Why could you not do them as front rear pairs - i've done god know how many sets of tyres in 130,000 miles and not had an issue...... Oh, and I don't mean it's right or wrong I was just wondering!
    As I understand it, it's to do with making sure the rolling circumferences of all four wheels are as closely matched as possible, as even a small discrepancy will cause the wheels to rotate at different speeds, which apparently puts a strain on the centre diff.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

quattronly

Status
    Those PZero Rossos ARE Pirellis. Reckon on taking them to an independent to fit for upwards of £10 each to include valve, balance and possibly disposal of old tyre which might cost them/you upto a couple of quid more.

That would make them about £125 each all in.
    Last edited by Jeeves; 27th September 2012 at 23:04.

Neutral

Status
    I agree with the above quote. I used to do tyres and you can see where it has a thin tyre wall

1st Gear

Status
    I will look around

dunlop, pirelli, good year, continental I thought these were all the best makes and brands

but there is mention of other makes on here

this link has some good ranges "premium" tyres apparently

Cheap Tyres Online : 235 40 18

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrida View Post
    well with 10 years experience in the tyre industry you wouldn't have heard of a labour charge would you! - Too true Artimus too true
    hahaha

quattronly

Status
    Don't forget Michelin too. Tyretraders are about £40 more expensive per tyre fitted on the PZeros...expensive for convenience.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes michelin too give u that

Not sure wat i will go for yet decision time

1st Gear

Status
    still not changed them

the tyres currently on the car are Michelin.

for some reason I kept thinking that they were pirelli!! omg just realised they are not this make.

Looks like these tyres are from factory so 60k+ miles so far. that really isn't that much.

Still looking around - when are tyres on a special deal or generally cheaper?

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Looks like these tyres are from factory so 60k+ miles so far. that really isn't that much.
    Seriously? I thought getting around 40K from mine was good.

Still looking around? You are aware that the time will come when it blows out due to being unsafe? That time will probably be at night, outside late at high speed, kids and missus in the car and its raining.
    Get it changed now, don't spend money on food buy tyres instead.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

1st Gear

Status
    But food is important I can't go > 3 hours without eating, otherwise my constant supply of protein will become diminished

The decision is difficult - so many tyres out there
    I like the look of Pirelli Rosso's and they got good reviews

something like this

Pirelli Tyres / Car / Pirelli Pzero P Zero Rosso - 235/40R18 95Y XL (a) TL 137.40 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 235/40/18, 235/40R18

still looking around

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    If you want a really good set of tyres that don't cost the earth, you can't go wrong with the Falken ZE912

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just buy some tyres
    johnnythepie and psd99 like this.

6th Gear

Status
    +1

You can clearly see the tyre has been run flat. Take the tyre off the rim and it will be filled with shredded rubber.

I feel for you, I just re-booted my 16inch wheels today with 4 Michelins. I just hope I made the right choice over continental or Goodyear.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm glad most on here are buying good tyres, a lot of people who come into our garage with big low profile tyres want the cheapest rubber possible!

Another way of looking at it is, we have one guy who come to us with a super car and on them your insurance is invalid if you repair a tyre so he has to replace them when it occasionally happens and these tyres are £550 each, it is all relative but if you are driving a nice Audi about, a pair of tyres shouldn't be a problem.

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    But food is important I can't go > 3 hours without eating, otherwise my constant supply of protein will become diminished
    Well, if your tyre blows out and the worse case scenario happens you will be cured of that nasty oxygen addiction so your protein demands will become none important.

Can't go wrong with Rosso's, got them all round on my car.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast