EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question Rear indicator bulb

To go neatly with the recent front indicator bulb post ...

Rear drivers side indicator bulb has just gone on my MY03 A4 Avant. I'm assuming the light cluster has to come out and that the release screw is covered with the circle of plastic just inside the boot lid lip - is this correct, is there anything else I should be aware of ?

And what bulb do I need to buy please ?

Cheers
    Martin.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Oh someone must know what bulb to buy I dont want to take the light cluster out twice.

A pint of Diesel please!

Status
    Just ring Audi they'll tell you. I have an avant but I'm not sure what the bulb is
    Your right about the plastic plug, be aware though if you drop the screw inside the trim you'll never get it out! You'll need a long phillips screwdriver too.
    LISTEN TO THE Bluehorses THEY ROCK!

1.8T quattro sline

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Les 51 View Post
    Just ring Audi they'll tell you. I have an avant but I'm not sure what the bulb is
    Your right about the plastic plug, be aware though if you drop the screw inside the trim you'll never get it out! You'll need a long phillips screwdriver too.
    All right guys, my rear brake light has gone on my avant. And to release the rear light all you have to do is remove that plastic plug and unscrew the screw and no removal of other interior parts is neccessary is this correct? I bought a bulb already but didnt know where to start on removal on rear light.

Also tried to replace a high beam bulb on front which i know how to diassemble, but on replacing bulb it still didnt work any ideas guys?

Cheers

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Thats correct, not other parts to remove, just as has been mentioned don't drop the screw!

Re the headlight bulb, it's not unheard of for a bought bulb to be faulty. Have you checked the fuse? Failing that use a circuit tester to see if there is power at the headlight plug.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1.8T quattro sline

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Les 51 View Post

alright dudes

Me again just had a look today, you say i need a long phillips screwdriver, the only thing i see when i look through is a nut or is it a nut screw is that what i need to unscrew, and when you unscrew it do you do it like that front lights where you dont have to completely unscrew it but only enough to release the rear lights? thatsa why it will drop down the interior.

Cheers again guys!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4 TC View Post
    alright dudes

Me again just had a look today, you say i need a long phillips screwdriver, the only thing i see when i look through is a nut or is it a nut screw is that what i need to unscrew, and when you unscrew it do you do it like that front lights where you dont have to completely unscrew it but only enough to release the rear lights? thatsa why it will drop down the interior.

Cheers again guys!
    The standard 'screw' is a hex head bolt with a philips cut out so you should be able to use a screwdriver or a long socket to get it out. You need to remove this completely to take out the light.

1st Gear

Status
    This is what the 'screw' should look like. Dont drop it or like me you will end up having to pick up a little bag from the Audi dealer

Last edited by coyote; 1st July 2009 at 16:31.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Found this page on how to replace the rear bulbs
    http://www.jmaguire.com/blog/2006/02/05/stoplight.html

The rear indicator bulbs are 581 12v 21w amber with 2 slightly offset pins (ie not directly opposite each other).

I've seen them listed as BAU15s
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47421

This might help someone else in the future.
    Last edited by funkyspider; 1st July 2009 at 19:07.

1.8T quattro sline

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyspider View Post
    Found this page on how to replace the rear bulbs
    http://www.jmaguire.com/blog/2006/02/05/stoplight.html

The rear indicator bulbs are 581 12v 21w amber with 2 slightly offset pins (ie not directly opposite each other).

I've seen them listed as BAU15s
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47421

This might help someone else in the future.

Cheers funkyspider

My screw defo doesnt have the phillips screw so will need to get a ratchet of some sort in there.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sounds like someone has already lost the original down into the void. Mine had a hex outside and a phillips. We used a well magnetised screwdriver to stop it falling. If you use a socket I'd try make sure its a tight fit, or stick some blu-tack etc in it to keep hold of the screw/bolt when it comes free.

I did toy with using a piece of paper/card bent into a U shape and sliding it into the access hole and under the screw to catch it if it did fall.

1.8T quattro sline

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyspider View Post
    Sounds like someone has already lost the original down into the void. Mine had a hex outside and a phillips. We used a well magnetised screwdriver to stop it falling. If you use a socket I'd try make sure its a tight fit, or stick some blu-tack etc in it to keep hold of the screw/bolt when it comes free.

I did toy with using a piece of paper/card bent into a U shape and sliding it into the access hole and under the screw to catch it if it did fall.

I think so too but bought a couple from audi just in case, as were only 62p each will try again on the weekend when i got time. cheers funkyspider and everyone else.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi, I think the bulb your looking for is a 382 part from Halfords.. 2 bulbs in a pack.. (should show you on there blub guide booklet in store's)

And the brake light bulbs are the 380's.

1st Gear

Status
    Buy the bulbs from GSF parts - they are pennies.

Also, On mine I didn't need to unscrew it all the way - it almost felt as though there was a stop washer on it?

Anyways, once unscrewed you will need to pull the light fitting off as it is clipped in with two ball-joint type plastic lugs - IIRC it needs pulling off diagonally from the car (mine is an Avant).

Light cluster then simply unclips and you can replace the bulb and clip straight back in.
    2003 A4 Avant 1.9TDi Quattro Sport