headlight condensation

ei2gfb

Reaction score
i have condensation staring to form on my drivers side headlight, i did some googling and there is a mod for the s4 xenon type headlight a simple, regreasing of o-ring is there anything similar that can be done with the standard type headlight, or is there any obvious places to check or re-seal

That "o" ring mod is not for uk lights, i have S4 xenons in mine and they are a completely different light, from memory the "bi" xenons have the "o" ring. As for standard headlights try removing the grey vents that are on the underside of the headlight, this allows more air to flow round on the inside of the light also check the rear bulb covers for a tight seal, you could also try blocking the grey vents up alltogether as sometimes this can help, the problem with the xenons is the lower wattage bulbs coupled togethr with the ever more common use of led side lights doesn't generate enough heat to burn off any condensation. ( so my local dealers tell me),

That "o" ring mod is not for uk lights, i have S4 xenons in mine and they are a completely different light, from memory the "bi" xenons have the "o" ring. As for standard headlights try removing the grey vents that are on the underside of the headlight, this allows more air to flow round on the inside of the light also check the rear bulb covers for a tight seal, you could also try blocking the grey vents up alltogether as sometimes this can help, the problem with the xenons is the lower wattage bulbs coupled togethr with the ever more common use of led side lights doesn't generate enough heat to burn off any condensation. ( so my local dealers tell me),

thanks ill check out them vents this week and report back if it cures the problem

I sorted mine by getting two spare main beam back caps/covers for the headlights from a breaker and making vent holes............been fine ever since.

Reactions: ei2gfb
couldnt find the vents on the underside mattyboyc mentioned, so i drilled a small 5mm hole in the back of the main beam cover as Mike.M suggested, will see how it fairs out in coming days

I'll see if i can find you a pic or i'll nip in the loft tomorrow and take a picture for you.

I'll see if i can find you a pic or i'll nip in the loft tomorrow and take a picture for you.

i actually have an old headlight myself and couldnt see any grills on the bottom

If you turn the light upside down you will see two greyish plastic things towards the front of the light, these simply pull out if you look up inside you can see into the inside of the light,

These are the vents you are looking for.

A25411BF-5045-46ED-B30F-B998B0F344AA_zpsygrwk3lz.png

Reactions: ei2gfb
cheers for pic found them on the spare headlight i have, if the hole i drilled doesnt work ill remove these

Some have also sealed these up, but you would need a new rear cover if youv'e drilled a hole in it.

i have only done it on drivers side its only light giving me bother and i have a spare cap for rear of light, however a small bead of black silicone would seal it up too, if it hasnt cleared by tomorrow ill remove them white vents and go from there

Spray soapy water all over it and then pressurise it through vents or something similar.. Then all the small cracks will appear..
Put a small amount of silicone on the cracks and let it dry

After a lot of experimenting, my solution was to silicone up the lower vents and make reasonably sized vent hole on the lower lip of the headlight main beam back cover so no water can drip inside.

Been great ever since

Reactions: Welshquattro
After a lot of experimenting, my solution was to silicone up the lower vents and make reasonably sized vent hole on the lower lip of the headlight main beam back cover so no water can drip inside.

Been great ever since

Any pic's of this mike? Mine have just started to get condensation,which i don't understand as i haven't touched the lights for six months.Must be the weather.lol

I still suffer with it in my drivers side only but it does clear quickly once parked, would still like to stop it though.

My mistake it was the sidelight side of the headlight that I did...........been a while.

The red section highlighted is the part of the cap I cut off in short.......a wedge out the bottom of the cap, just bellow where the clamp goes on but also leaving in place the frame of the back cover to to keep its shape if that makes sense

headlight_zps4033b4ca.jpg

I also plan on adding a fine mesh to bridge the cut out section, to keep bugs out.

Buy desiccants of eBay and throw a couple of them inside.. Change every now and then...

Tried that one myself too, but did not work even after drying out the units with a hairdryer and sealing the unit up completely......other may have success with it but I did not.

mine is still fogging up have mot tomorrow, so after that ill take lights out and remove the white vents

I put a rubber tape across the bottom of both lights, 3mm thick,which when i took out was damp.
Its stopped my condensation problems.
IMG_20140321_205058.jpg

Reactions: Wahlstrom