Condensation in headlights

Ste_Unphased

Reaction score
Hi guys

My apologies of there's a guide I haven't found but I can't seem to find one.

My headlights are steaming up pretty bad, I removed them for a good clean at the weekend, dried them overnight and PU sealed any gaps onnthe housing and lens, I've refitted them and they are still steaming up! The little white vents are still intact.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem and I've tried a drying them out but it always comes back. A friend has suggested putting a couple of those silica gel packs that you get in boxes of new trainers/shoes etc in the back of each headlamp. I'll give it ago and see if it works.

So your tucking them behind the light units?

I'll try that then thanks

Don't forget it's been exceptionally wet lately, both my cars are steaming up!

I made holes in the rear removable caps of the headlight and mine have been fine for a couple of years now.

I made holes in the rear removable caps of the headlight and mine have been fine for a couple of years now.

Did you drill multiple small holes or one large one? I have a slight misting issue but only ever in the o/s lamp, I have tried the cilica packs and also bought new rear covers, may try drilling the old one to see what happens. I thought it was the case that xenons do not give off enough heat to dry said condensation but if that was the case surely they would both mist up.

Mine both mist up right at the inner part closest to the grille, I'll try drilling the bulb cover caps then

I cut a section off each cover plate as shown in red.

Enough so it can act as a cover and prevent water dripping in the unit, but also allow the metal clip to attach, to hold it onto the headlight.

Works perfectly for me

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 111
Enough for air circulation.....yes.

Some people just leave the cover off, but this was my compromise and works for me.

I think it must have something to do with the position of the headlight itself also as if holes were needed both lights would mist up, I get nothing in my n/s one what so ever.
I will try a big chunk out of the other side as I have spare covers.