Anyone elses b6 bad for steaming up?

allyp

Reaction score
As above does anyone elses b6 steam up in this weather?just wonder if i have a leak somewhere or is it normal thanks

got the same on mine,traced the fault to the ecu cover being split and letting rain water into the drivers footwell.also check the passenger side as the gromets in the bulkhead well block up and then the water comes in via the heater motor under the dash above the glovebox.

Ok thanks m8,think the ecu leak was fixed by my m8 the previous owner,whats the location for the bulkhead gromets ,do i remove the wipers and scuttle panel to get at them cheers

ecu cover is on the left hand side when you lift the bonnet,just remove the big black plastic battery/brake servo cover to gain acess to the retaining screws,as for the bulkhead grommets remove the battery and theres one under the plate there and one to the left of it under the brake servo,

ecu cover is on the left hand side when you lift the bonnet,just remove the big black plastic battery/brake servo cover to gain acess to the retaining screws,as for the bulkhead grommets remove the battery and theres one under the plate there and one to the left of it under the brake servo,

Thanks for that. I 've already removed the gromets,,, but will definately check ECU cover....

Great thanks for the info will take a look at the w/end,wish mine steamed up when the wife got in lol

Mine is lots of short trips maybe a mile or less most days

im having the same problem with mine, after driving the car, i come back to find that the front, rear and rear side windows are steamed up, the front is rather bad, infact it looks more like condensation on the front. none of the carpets are wet but i do find it strange that the passenger window does not suffer with this. Could the pollen filter have anything to do with this a require replacing ?

My cab does the same, but once I start the engine everything clears within a min or three generally. I put it down to the winter weather.

air con working fine m8 ,im thinking it must be winter weather as well but wanted to be sure

i recon its all that snow thats melted of me size 11,s penatrated deep in the carpets! a nice warm day should sort it! if we ever get one!!

I'm having the same problem & it's really starting to get on my t*ts now :banghead:
Have read numerous threads on here regarding this subject & checked all possible causes except for the one stated on this thread ref to the ECU case, which i will be checking out tomorrow.
I have a warranty on the car so if the later fails then I'm just going to book it into Audi & see if they can diagnose the problem. I reckon it's got to be a leak on the c/c unit which is actually pushing moisture directly into the car.

Will post results as this seems to be affecting alot of cars :thumbsup:

would be nice to know either way as said maybe have to wait til summer see if any difference then

Mine is lots of short trips maybe a mile or less most days

This is likely the cause. You get in the car wet, moisture soaks into the carpets, seats etc, and simply never dries out.

Our cars aircon is NEVER on, bar in the summer when its actually hot, it stays on ECON the rest of the time. Our old A4 never had aircon at all and had no misting up problems either. The difference is our car gets driven properly. Ok the missus drives it to work and back which is only 4 miles or so, but a trip to tesco for the weekly shop is a 16mile round trip, we have a half day thursday so usually head out and do something then, and we're up in scotland at least once a month which is a good 3+ hours driving.

We sold our old A4 to mum, and she now only drives a few miles to work or to the shops, and its really bad for steaming up now.

Dehumidifier to dry it out, or perhaps even a fan heater in the car with a window cracked open to let the moisture escape will probably help. When your out driving, keep the fan speed up, and point the airflow and the windscreen and footwells.

If the aircon is working it should demist the windows quickly

Past 2 days mine had been terrible for condensation. As it goes i also just removed the plenum chamber things too.

sounds like it could be my problem thanks for the advice,so leave econ button on heaters to floor and screen too ,ill give it a go and see what the difference is ,ally

The ECON button just deactivates the a/c - which doesn't work below 5 degrees anyway. In other words, if you've been driving in conditions below this temp then it would be the same as pressing the ECON button anyway.

Might have to break out the dehumid device, failing that a long drive to the Algarve should sort it out :laugh:

The Algarve would be nice ha ha,then again the dehumidifier is much cheaper worth a go that i reckon

Had a guy take look at this problem today when it was in having the new rear wiper motor fitted. He said that he found a kink in one of the pipes which allows the air to escape the vehicle :huh: Please don't ask because I really don't know!
Will see if things improve over the coming days, but to show how confident I am I've gone & ordered the infamous 'moisture mate' as recommended on here :thumbsup:

Quick update - Since having 'THAT' pipe dekinked all has been well, 100% improvement :happy:
But I'd just like to point out that when returning home from work on Saturday I decided to press the ECON button, outside temp was 3.5 - Within a matter of seconds the car quickley started to steam up, so I pressed it again & all was sorted literally within seconds.
How can this be so when it's been stated on here that the a/c doesn't work below 5 degrees :think:
Just curious I guess - very happy now & I even bought one of those 'moisture mates' which, for now, will remain unused :thumbsup:

How can this be so when it's been stated on here that the a/c doesn't work below 5 degrees :think:

I've heard that before, and I think it might even be quoted in the handbook, but in my own personal experience it isn't really true.

im interested to know which pipe this is.......does anyone know where the pipes which allow the air to escape are located ?

Well the cold weather is back & so are my steamy windows :faint:
So I'm booking it into Audi to get it sorted, well that's after it comes back from the body shop.....some **** thought it would be clever to drive into my car today whilst parked at work & drive off without leaving his details :ermm:

Looks like new front bumper, bonet & headlight excluding damage I can't see....hey ho !!!

Me too, cold weather comes and the inside of the windows have condensation, inside of the windscreen had frozen up even before the outside had !!!

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car ADC74

How exactly do you expect Audi to fix it?

Its caused by the interior of the car being damp and never drying out.

Running the aircon all the time only seems to make the problem worse in my experience. Yes it will clear the glass and let you drive off, but it doesnt seem to actually dry the car out.

As i said above, our aircon is NEVER on, and the car doesnt mist up at all. If we get in praticularly wet, the rear of the car sometimes mists a little, but that soon clears.

Its caused by the interior of the car being damp and never drying out.

maybe he wants to find out the reason why his car is supposedly damp and never drying out

What i mean is that Audi could eliminate any possible defects or leaks on c/c :thumbsup:

As stated, I've already bought the 'moisture mate' & will be using it once the car is back from the body shop. This just seems fruitless though if there is an actual problem with the c/c - might aswell get it checked whilst it's under warranty.

Never had this with any of my previous cars & never expected it from an Audi TBH.
I've got bigger problems to deal with at present it's just a major driving issue when you can't see **** through you windows if the outside temp drops below 3 degrees:lmfao:

does anyone who is experiencing this problem also suffer with water congregating inbetween the driver/passenger door and sill rubber, you will know if this is a problem as when you open the door, water then falls off the sill onto your feet/floor.

Just trying to eliminate possible causes to windows steaming up ! Taken my car to Midland VW yesterday and they cant find any evidence of water ingress into the vehicle, nor any reason as to why windows mist up when parked up.

does anyone who is experiencing this problem also suffer with water congregating inbetween the driver/passenger door and sill rubber, you will know if this is a problem as when you open the door, water then falls off the sill onto your feet/floor.

Just trying to eliminate possible causes to windows steaming up ! Taken my car to Midland VW yesterday and they cant find any evidence of water ingress into the vehicle, nor any reason as to why windows mist up when parked up.
That seems wrong if water gets inside from the doors.Perhaps the do not shut tight to the seals?

i remember a while ago a few people had issues with this but dont know if there was a fix for it

i have the same with my doors guys yet i dont have the steming up problem also it seems to be traped from door rubber and door card well what iv seen

Last edited: