Just got my A3 1.4TFSi....

I for one will be waiting on test results and guarantees that it is switchable and when in std mode no way for the dealer to know its been remapped, I know its a long shot but hey ya never know. If a company can prove all the above to me then I will be going for it, as I originally wanted the 1.8T but it was just over my company car allowance so had to make do with the 1.4T not that I'm complaining as its a great car, just a remap would give me the 1.8T performance or thereabouts!

Safe to say I won't be doing it for at least a year (thats if the remap comes out in the next few months), my only concern is that the 1.4T isn't that popular so its going to be difficult to find someone who has had it done and can tell us how different it feels! Don't fancy being one of the first to try it lol!

That Corsa story it sounds like a case of either a bad mapping, engine internals not made to withstand the boost pressure or just abusive driving techniques.

All leading remapping companys normally go through strict testing before releasing the map out to the public and it usually comes with a warranty. Also remaps arent generally recommended for brand spanking new cars as the engine hasnt been worn in properly yet.

I would be quite tempted by the remap if it was offered by a reliable source and backed by a decent warranty but mainly because I know for a fact that these 1.4T engines can easily do 170bhp+ as proven by VW's TSI.

IF being the right word, so long as I can get a switchable remap that Audi will not detect then I will be getting it done, 1.4 hitting 60 in 8 seconds will be like the old R5 Turbo days!

Only concern is the turbo doesn't look too big, just hope it will be ok with a boost increase!

The turbo used is the same one used in VW's 170bhp TSI engines so the boost increase shouldnt be a problem, only thing different is thats the 1.4TFSI loses the supercharger which only helps at the bottom of the powerband but gains a electronic diverter valve which reduces turbo lag at low revs.

Theres a few german based tuning company offering maps of over 200bhp with the VW's TSI so I have high expectations from these new 1.4 units.

do you guys know for a fact that the internals and turbo of this engine is the same with the tsi's? because this engine gives peak torque pretty low down (1500rpm) and its pretty good figure (200nm). if this was the case IMO they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of bolting on a supercharger. especially for the 140hp version, as it only has 220nm.

i'll probably go for a remap in due time, probably after the warranty has ended. maybe a small intercooler? it would add lag though.

vanaaken, i'm sorry buddy but AFAIK there are NO remaps available that a persistent dealer won't notice. even if it is switchable the ECU shows them WHEN the change occurred. so even though it's the std. map when they check, they can tell it's been tampered with.

also, thats a huuuuge filter mate. could probably handle 300hp :o.k:
how does it sound with the cover off?

Yea the internals are the same as the VW TSI engines thats why I have pretty good faith that it will reach 170bhp+ without much of a problem.

I do agree that the 140bhp version of the TSI engine is bit gimmicky as there really isnt the need the the supercharger low down but remember it's the turbocharger that is creating all the BHP and torque as the supercharger totally shuts down at anything over 3k rpm, so 220Nm is pretty much spot on for a 140bhp factory tuned engine.

The 1.4TFSI has a built in electronically controlled diverter valve like the 2.0TFSI so it can manage the exhaust pressure through the ECU to reduce low end lag and without the supercharger and reduce weight parts, its around 50kg lighter than the TSI! Thats like having a wardrobe balanced on top of your bonnet.

It is quite large but then so was the original filter, you can notice it a little if you rev it at low revs then when your giving it some it sounds a bit deeper, not chavy just a bit more like a bigger engine.

As for the remap I may have to leave it as can't risk Audi finding out as they will tell the company, shame but will just have to wait 3 years by which time I'll be allowed a higher spec car and with the 2.0 TFSI emmisions going below 175 Co2 (Thats the limit with our company) then I may be able to get a 2.0T Sport or S-Line.

MCC49 - Have you got your car yet?

Mark

I've decided that I will be leaving the remap alone as well. I don't want to start screwing around with a perfectly decent engine. I very rarely go out of the city limits except to my summer house in Bodrum. The car as it is leaves most things standing. Debadged, with nice wheels and the twin exhausts nobody is any the wiser as to what it is. I will leave them all guessing...and I'm very happy with the current performance of this wee motor.

:blackrs4:

MCC49 - Have you got your car yet?

Mark

Been quoted august, still no confirmed build date and my dealer is on holiday for a week. Luckily work has been busy and the days are flying past without me knowing it.

Does that mean your getting the facelift model?

Mark

Yea I specifically asked for the order to be revised to the facelift version, I would of gotten the car June 18th if I didnt change the order.

The wait is killing me and I just cant decide between Phantom Black or Ibis White with black styling kit, right now its Phantom black on the order but the more I see pics of Ibis white Audis, the more I want to change it!

I wish I'd of gone for white, as mines only a sport sportback thought it wouldn't look as good as the sline, but saw a 1.4T sport sportback in white and it looked great esp with the black grill, you will deffo have to get some pics up with it being the facelift model, if I had waited a couple more weeks before ordering mine I would of got the facelift too, damn!

Mark

Yea will definately post pics.

You guys arent very helpful tho when it comes to the colour ;). I might just give the dealer the 2 colour option and him to surprise me

i think the SB looks great in white. the 3dr not so much (why, i don't know).
if you guys can keep it clean a black 3dr would be great. over here it's a bit difficult, so brill red for me :yes:

i think i'll be waiting a while for a remap. if i get the bug, i'll do it. if not, i'll wait for the warranty to end then do it :)