Car Open Reminder

JamS3

Reaction score
Just noticed if you press the keyfob once to open the drivers door then again to open boot and passenger door pressing it again will make the indicator lights flash a few times presumably to let you know from a distance the car is all open!

Erm, they all flash the indicators when you unlock them.

I know I was just pointing out they flash a few times in succession when the car is already open and you press the button to open it again to tell you its already open!

JamS3 said:
I know I was just pointing out they flash a few times in succession when the car is already open and you press the button to open it again to tell you its already open!

At the end of a long day at work - that made me laugh!
JamS3 - too much time on your hands????
:)

If you think that's clever there's a whole world of really subtle little things you'll notice as time goes on.

Like the way the final down-stroke of the wash-wipe is slower to limit splashing.

And the way the heating system blows warm air at the windscreen if you wash-wipe when it's very cold to prevent the water freezing.

Some sad German bloke is paid think this stuff up! :)

Hey....!

Anyway I think you should all be clicking on that thanks button for such a interesting post....

How about holding the button down on the key! it opens the windows.

When the wipers park they stop in a slightly different position each time to reduce wear!

next!

IN-A3 said:
How about holding the button down on the key! it opens the windows.
When the wipers park they stop in a slightly different position each time to reduce wear!

OK, that's the idea (although I knew them:p )
Is it true (can't remember where I read it) that if you lift the door handle a couple of times it switches on a lock heater when it's frosty?

strips across bottoms of doors are made of plastic - catch them on a curb or low wall and they won't rust and are easier to repaint and replace than the door!

if you come back from shopping and wanna just open the boot you can keep the middle button pressed and when you close the boot again it auto locks afterwards..............

Bottom of the doors plastic eh....

have lost count the amount of times Iv'e pushed them open onto a high kerb or grass verge and scuffed the bottom of the door.

The joys of finding out all the littel details eh..... looking forward to finding out all these things for myself!
Counting down the days...

Just a shame I found out the most interesting one about the flashing indicators....

Can that be added to any A3?? I quite like the option of just being able to unlock the drivers door with one press and all doors (plus fuel flap) with two presses.

Yes it can I'm sure the VagCom codes will be on here somewhere, try a search.

Had this option first on my 99 Mk4 Golf

JamS3 said:
Just a shame I found out the most interesting one about the flashing indicators....

Ha ha, you're pleased with that one then!
:)

Third sunvisor
Aircon settings are tied to which key you use. e.g. set it cold for one key, hot for the other.
Wipers intermittently move ever so slightly to prevent rubber deformation
Press and hold Auto to tie the two seperate climate control zones together

I never knew about the windows opening and closing on the key fob. When I read it I went straight out and tried it!

Cheers

MarcQuinlivan said:
- press and hold the "Auto" button on the Climate Control for 3 or 5 seconds to lock both zones to the same temperature allowing both zones to be adjusted using only the drivers side dial.

how cool is that?! i just went out and tried it!

also tried the different key thing and thats EVEN cooler!!!!

little touches make me soooooooooooo sad becuase everytime i find something out i will go out and try it regardless of how cold and wet it is, once i went out at 2am after reading Audi driver talking about the auto windows!

All these features are on the 8L S3 except the twin aircon thingy, its not new technolody TBH.

It's not just Audis. My wife's Yaris has an auto-park and an auto-fuel option.

She just leaves it in the drive each night and miraculously, every morning when she goes outside, its ends up inside the garage - and each time she arrives home with an empty fuel tank, its miraculously full again by the following day.....

She's had it six years, done 52,000 miles and only had to fill the tank. How's that for fuel economy! And even then, she had to ring me from the pump and ask "Do I put Shell Ordinary or Shell Optimax in it". So I said "just Shell Ordinary" - and guess what - the receipt showed that she filled it with Optimax! lol....

Oh and I forgot to mention the "auto-wash" option too.
It comes home dirty on a Friday night and by each Monday morning, its clean again!

alfiejts said:
It's not just Audis. My wife's Yaris has an auto-park and an auto-fuel option.

She just leaves it in the drive each night and miraculously, every morning when she goes outside, its ends up inside the garage - and each time she arrives home with an empty fuel tank, its miraculously full again by the following day.....

She's had it six years, done 52,000 miles and only had to fill the tank. How's that for fuel economy! And even then, she had to ring me from the pump and ask "Do I put Shell Ordinary or Shell Optimax in it". So I said "just Shell Ordinary" - and guess what - the receipt showed that she filled it with Optimax! lol....

Oh and I forgot to mention the "auto-wash" option too.
It comes home dirty on a Friday night and by each Monday morning, its clean again!

The Germans are on the ball too. My wife's Polo has all these features.

If the wipers are on and you engage reverse gear, you automatically get a single wipe of the rear window. Lovely idea.

If the wipers are on and you stop for a while, e.g. at traffic lights, they slip into intermittent mode, and then return to full mode when you set off again.

Almost makes you wish you were German doesn't it? They are almost too clever. Even better, Audi don't feel the need to shout about it - look how many of these things some people didn't know about!

Although I guess it's all buried in the manual somewhere...

Yes but it works the other way too....

If the wipers are on when you switch off and leave the car and then come back to it again, they don't start up again on their own. You have to turn them off or onto fast and then back to normal before they'll start wiping again.

I find that really annoying and can't comprehend the Germanic logic that thought that was a good idea....

But then, I wouldn't have said that invading Poland was a good idea either, so we must think differently....

Hadn't noticed that (wipers, not Poland). Maybe I've always remembered to turn the wipers off myself first.

I'm almost tempted to try to find my spare key just so I can test the climate control memory thingy...

Oh, and being able to set a speed warning is useful too, especially in a 3.2 :)

I find that really annoying and can't comprehend the Germanic logic that thought that was a good idea....

But then, I wouldn't have said that invading Poland was a good idea either, so we must think differently....

Not wishing to get political, but personally I wouldn't think invading Iraq was a good idea either. But we did....

Germany seems to have learned their lesson - we haven't.

Good that they put so much thought into doing all these little things that most don't even notice - and they fit a trip computer for average speed, average & instant fuel consumption and elapsed time, but (until 2007 models) it didn't actually tell you trip distance travelled!

I rest my case - the Germanic brain contains a different circuit diagram to the British one....

alfiejts said:
Yes but it works the other way too....

If the wipers are on when you switch off and leave the car and then come back to it again, they don't start up again on their own. You have to turn them off or onto fast and then back to normal before they'll start wiping again.

Are but you (like me) are from the UK, so artic conditions means 2 days below freezing. Think how usefull that might be if every time you parked your car the wiper froze to the screen.

Chris.