Car Open Reminder

Point well made Dave - but I never did think invading Iraq was a good idea either - nor clerical people setting a load of ineffective targets for NHS professionals, nor increasing uni tuition fees to £3000 and then giving it back free to anyone on benefit whilst the rest of us who work hard for a living have to struggle to support their own kids who'll leave uni with a £18000 - £30000 debt - as well as paying extra tax to fund all those on benefit getting it free as a grant.

(But I think I'm drifting a bit off topic. Now that's a thought. I wonder if there's another forum somewhere where I can let off political steam...)

What about the wipers in the valet position, after you wash the car, return the wipers to the screen, a few mins. of driving they return to the park position on their own.

Eeef said:
Third sunvisor

Can you elaborate on this? My Navara had a 3rd visor behind the rear view mirror, but Iv'e not noticed one on my A3!?!?:shrug:

MarcQuinlivan said:
haven't you noticed the small flip down panel behind your rear view mirror?

Quickly grabs a coat ........... dashes to car .......... has a look ........... ooooooooh, spots small flip down visor above rear view mirror that is attached to the roof!!! :) :hi:

Nice one chaps!! Found it very useful on the Navara and will NOW put it to good use.

Eeef said:
Third sunvisor
Aircon settings are tied to which key you use. e.g. set it cold for one key, hot for the other.

It's 2.5 degrees outside and theres me in my shorts with my key trying this out! well cool!
Cheers lads

coupe-se said:
My Navara had a 3rd visor behind the rear view mirror,
What year was that? I have an 03 and I haven't noticed one! Having driven into the morning sun, I'd be delighted to find one!
:uhm:

rowansbank said:
What year was that? I have an 03 and I haven't noticed one! Having driven into the morning sun, I'd be delighted to find one!
:uhm:

A 2005 D40 Doublecab Outlaw ......... there is such a big gap between the top of the rear view mirror and top of the screen that it was a god-send!! It was quite big and you would notice it (unlike the small one on the A3 that I missed :whistle2: ).

Vertigo1 said:
Like the way the final down-stroke of the wash-wipe is slower to limit splashing.

And the way the heating system blows warm air at the windscreen if you wash-wipe when it's very cold to prevent the water freezing.

Sorry but thats the biggest load of #### I have heard in a long time!

If you knew how wiper motors work then you'd know that would involve a lot of complex circuitry in order to get the motor to run slower, i think you'll find it may run slower on the downward stroke because the wiper blades cause drag as the car is moving forwards.

IN-A3 said:
When the wipers park they stop in a slightly different position each time to reduce wear!

next!
Yet again, total #####!

This is another thing that would cost a significant amount of extra money and electronics to acheive. The wiper motor just goes round and round, it doesn't know where the wipers are in relation to the windscreen, thats done by the linkage. and i think you'll find IF what you say was the truth, then the wipers would have to stop on the upward stroke in a different position everytime to eliminate wear there too... keep taking the medication.

A4Quattro said:

If you knew how wiper motors work then you'd know that would involve a lot of complex circuitry in order to get the motor to run slower, i think you'll find it may run slower on the downward stroke because the wiper blades cause drag as the car is moving forwards.

Think you've misunderstood this. It's not every down stroke, only the last one before stopping and is quite distinct. I wouldn't like to say why it does it though.

And I think you'll find it's all complex circuitry these days.

A4Quattro said:
Yet again, total #####!

This is another thing that would cost a significant amount of extra money and electronics to acheive. The wiper motor just goes round and round, it doesn't know where the wipers are in relation to the windscreen, thats done by the linkage. and i think you'll find IF what you say was the truth, then the wipers would have to stop on the upward stroke in a different position everytime to eliminate wear there too... keep taking the medication.

The wipers do seems to have more than one distinct rest position. I've even seen mine make the small adjustments when at rest, but again wouldn't like to guess why but I wouldn't say because of wear.

southpaw66 said:
Think you've misunderstood this. It's not every down stroke, only the last one before stopping and is quite distinct. I wouldn't like to say why it does it though.

And I think you'll find it's all complex circuitry these days.

The way in which the wipers operate is simple and deliberately so, as they are pretty important and also very simple, their operation on any vehicle has changed very little since their inception.
The motor has no sensors, just 2 sets of windings for fast and slow, an earth, and a park position switch, thats all, no fancy gizmos or anything like that, I think you'll find the movement in the wipers after they stop is just the slack in the linkage being taken up after the motor stops operating.

I've worked on cars that are 30 years old and haven't had any signs of the windscreen showing wear where the wipers park.

A4Quattro said:
I've worked on cars that are 30 years old and haven't had any signs of the windscreen showing wear where the wipers park.

Think the point been made was about wear in the actual blades.

southpaw66 said:
It's not every down stroke, only the last one before stopping and is quite distinct.

My wipers do exactly the same, a it is slow and deliberate action just before it stops. A few moments later they then drop to the park position.

It doesn't seem to be anything to do with linkages or mechanical drag, more like the motor ramping down.

Don't care why tbh or what it actually achieves, I just know its does it! :laugh:

jamiekip said:
Think the point been made was about wear in the actual blades.

Why would hundeds of pounds of electronics be fitted to save 15 quids worth of rubber... have a little think about it.

Also why would them stopping in the same place everytime cause them to wear more, it doesn't make sense.

Skittler said:
If the wipers are on and you stop for a while, e.g. at traffic lights, they slip into intermittent mode, and then return to full mode when you set off again.

I hate that feature.

Every rainy night I have to turn right across a dual carriageway using a slip road that means I'm sitting facing the oncoming traffic,rather than approaching it from right angles.
So I need to see the oncoming traffic,even though I'm stopped.
Yet the ****** wipers stop when I really don't want or need them to.

Can it be switched off ???

And the point was it's not probably about wear...

The motors themselves can be as dumb as you like it's the voltage to control them that's important. Hence, more is possible than on-off-fast-slow.

Oh,with regard to the indicator flashing lock/unlock thing.
By far the most useful thing I've had done with VAGCOM is the lock beep.
Just a little beep to reassure you the car is locked.
Very handy for me,as I can't see my car's indicators from my front door.
So I just point the remote out the door and listen for the beep.
If,by any chance,a door isn't closed properly,no beep.
I know the indicators don't flash in the same scenario,but I can see scenarios where I would probably miss that,so my car would stay unlocked.
The beep removes any doubt as I walk away.

A4Quattro said:

Christ.... take a pill guy.

A4Quattro said:
Yet again, total #####!

In fact.... take two.

A4Quattro said:
Why would hundeds of pounds of electronics be fitted to save 15 quids worth of rubber... have a little think about it.

Also why would them stopping in the same place everytime cause them to wear more, it doesn't make sense.

Had a bad day?
Try not to take it out on everyone in here!!!

I was only pointing out what IN-A3 had said earlier!!!

Sorry to sound so cynical,but how many of these features are actually useful and how many are some bored blokes folly ?

Wipers that move position when they stop - managed fine without them for years and I didn't have a second mortgage on wiper blades.

1 inch piece of plastic that does next to feck all to stop the sun - big deal,I've tried it and it does precisely feck all.

Wipers that stop when the car stops - so some gimp decided that just because the car is stopped,you don't need to see ?!?!?

See what I mean ???
Useful,or some bored designer looking for kudos points in a meeting ?

It reminds me of Alan Partridge getting access to his local Tandy after hours,then going up to a stereo,playing with the damped eject and going "mmm,nice action".

I tell you something,I wish they'd spent more time deciding lumbar support was an essential,rather that stupid little gimmicks like these....

Not trying to take anything out on anyone, just pointing out that its highly unlikely.
Such an innovation would be costly and people wouldn't benefit from it so its unlikely.
You're all welcome to your own opinions, even if they are uneducated and wrong! :moa:

bowfer said:
Oh,with regard to the indicator flashing lock/unlock thing.
By far the most useful thing I've had done with VAGCOM is the lock beep.
Just a little beep to reassure you the car is locked.
Very handy for me,as I can't see my car's indicators from my front door.
So I just point the remote out the door and listen for the beep.
If,by any chance,a door isn't closed properly,no beep.
I know the indicators don't flash in the same scenario,but I can see scenarios where I would probably miss that,so my car would stay unlocked.
The beep removes any doubt as I walk away.

I find that i'm looking at the car when I lock it too, so where does the beep come from?

A4Quattro said:
I find that i'm looking at the car when I lock it too, so where does the beep come from?

Yeah,but the beep means you don't have to,or it certainly removes any doubt.
Dunno where it comes from.
Under t'bonnet somewhere.

Yes,I know it's technically illegal to have an audible alarm arming signal these days,but I couldn't care less.

It's not some sort of terrible noise that deafens the neighbours.
Just a wee beep.

bowfer said:
Yeah,but the beep means you don't have to,or it certainly removes any doubt.
Dunno where it comes from.
Under t'bonnet somewhere.

Yes,I know it's technically illegal to have an audible alarm arming signal these days,but I couldn't care less.

It's not some sort of terrible noise that deafens the neighbours.
Just a wee beep.

Have you noticed that the siren is really quiet now? bit pathetic really.

A4Quattro said:
Yet again, total #####!

This is another thing that would cost a significant amount of extra money and electronics to acheive.

Actually...... no it wouldn't. Whilst I'm not an electronic engineer, I am a director of a sub contract electronics assembly company and can speak with confidence in this matter. The parts cost of the electronics required to do this sort of thing would probably cost no more than a few pounds (thinking a lot less than £10) and would be controlled by via a PIC (which is a programmable IC with a simple logic to reduce the speed of the motor on the final sweep).

I'll concede, as per bowfer's comments, that it might not actually be of that much benefit. But if it does happen (and I haven't checked myself, but I've no reason to suspect Vertigo1 is lying), then accepting the fact that it can't be down to "..... the wiper blades cause drag as the car is moving forwards.", then how do you account for the slower last wipe? Or are you saying it's a figment of his imagination?

Re. intermittent wipers at standstill...
Bowfer makes a good point about his dual-carriageway crossing manoeuvre. That has to be really annoying, and possibly dangerous. I wonder if it can be disabled at the dealer?

Re. audible alarm...
You have to be quite a long way off before you can't hear the central-locking clunking into place, so there's no real need for the beep. I don't have it beeping at all.

Have you noticed that the siren is really quiet now? bit pathetic really.

The noise an alarm siren can make is subject to EU Regulations. Some countries are more concerned with noise pollution than others. No one takes any notice of car alarms anyway these days. Its the same with house alarms, no one takes any notice and just assumes they've been set off accidentally which 99% of the time is true. With a car its the imobiliser that the important element rather than the siren.

A4Quattro said:
You're all welcome to your own opinions, even if they are uneducated and wrong! :moa:

Bit harsh and quite rude (especially uneducated) don't you think?

Bowfer:
Says in manual (07MY anyway) the wipers speed should reduce by one level when stopped. It doesn't say this is one level of sensitivity or from intermittent to off therefore requiring you to set the normal slow wiper speed to then reduce to intermittent.

Also it says auto headlights come on if the wipers are activated.

Well I have auto headlights, but manual wipers, My headlights don't come on when the wipers are activated on my car, nor do the wipers move any slower on the last wipe. Do I have a special car then?
How does a wiper on a glass screen cause splashing? especially as it wipes twice after the washers have stopped.