S-line questions

stu

Reaction score
OK second attempt at the post after my first was "lost" by a database glitch... :aggressive:

New to Audi (sold my Focus RS in June, currently borrowing the wifes 1.6 Focus as shes on maternity leave) & I have a few questions about the S-line Sportback:-

1. Are the 18" alloys only "standard" on the S-line until the end of the year and then they will be 17" as standard? (extra cost to "upgrade" then...).

2. How much do you think i could get a new Sportback 2.0T FSI S-line (FWD) from a main dealer? (base price with no options).
They are around £23k OTR RRP, i see LloydsTSB Car select have UK main dealer cars for £21k so i would expect around this....

3. Is Lava grey almost black in appearance (anyone any pics?)? Its just that i saw a dark grey/black Sportback 2.0TDI S-line in Preston Audi on Monday (it was sold anyhow) and i thought it looked very smart...i didnt find out the colour though but it did have some flake to the paint.

TIA for any help/advice.

Hi

(1) No idea on the wheels

(2) Price depends on the dealer, time of year, how much they want the sale etc etc. To give you an idea I got £2750 off list on the 2.0T FSi Quattro Sline SE with Bose/Symphony/Armrest

Here it is - Lava Grey

It's pearlescent, so it sort of changes shade depending on the light but mostly it's a very dark grey - like lava really :)

18" wheels are standard on the UK spec S-line and always have been(US ones have 17" wheels though).

I took the best price on the net I could find at the time which was from www.broadspeed.com. My dealer matched the 8% and knocked another £400 off the top.

Heres pics of my Lava grey S-line.
Front1.jpg

Frontside.jpg

Back.jpg

It looks like a very dark sparkly grey not black.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Lava grey looks very nice, it would be on the "list"... :hubbahubba:
Think i'm going to have to ring the dealer and see if they can give me the exact colour that S-Line i saw was in...probably the pearl black (phantom) as it wasnt a flat colour.

Reason i was asking about the alloys is cus me Dad has a A4 Avant 2.0T S-Line on order and he was told they were standard fitment only till the end of the year on the S-Line....probably the Audi dealer telling him porkies!! :think:

With the price you got from broadspeed did you take the total price of the car plus the options you wanted to the dealer or just the basic car price?

Lava grey can also look dark brown in some light conditions, worth seeing before you tick the box.

We just got an 05 A3 Sport 3.2 DSG quattro S-line in Lava Grey and I agree with all the above re different colours in different lights. :thumbsup: Only slight drawback is that, like black, it seems to show road dirt/dust very quickly after rain.

Aye thats the prob. I have had 2 black cars within the last 4 years (Civic Type R and Leon Cupra R) and i said never again....then again i think cars look best in black usually or as near as (Lava grey for example!).
My Dad has just come back from Blackburn Audi to drop some insurance documents off for his new A4 Avant S-Line and he said they have a lava grey A4 Sportback 2TFSI S-Line in the showroom so i might pop along tomorrow/Sunday for a gander! :)

Yep i paid them a visit today and they had a phantom black Sportback S-Line and Lava grey Sportback S-Line in the showroom...must say they both looked very nice! :)

If i had to choose i'd probably go for black but then again i wont be buying till early next year.

After having a think i'm sure the black wasnt phantom as it didnt have any "speckles/flakes" or anything in it...it was just shiny black!
My first impression when i looked at it closer was that it was brilliant (ie flat) black....i wonder if the showroom guy got it wrong even though i did say to him is this the flat black and he said it was phantom.

Can anyone confirm if their phantom or brilliant blacks have anything in the paint like a "flake" on metallic cars (phantom is a pearlescent according to Audi site and i dont know how that compares to a metallic).
This black car was definately a different black than the one at Preston Audi which had flakes or something in the paint.

Well mine is Ebony Black Pearlescent, which was available before Phantom and it does have the metallic "flakes" you describe embedded in it, giving it a kind of sparkly look on close inspection.

I'd be very surprised if Phantom is much different. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Phantom was just a new name for Ebony and they're exactly the same.

I was going to go with solid black on my next car as I think it looks superb when clean and pristine but I'm concerned it will show up minor scratches and swirl marks too much and so I think I'm going to go with Phantom instead.

PS. Have a look in mark88's "New S3 vs My A3 pics - side by side" thread if you need any convincing about how good the S-line looks in black :)

Checked with Preston Audi and they said the black A3 they had in was in phantom which i thought as it had flakes in the paint...the one at Blackburn was defo different (ie no flakes i coul see) so i think the guy must of told me wrong and it was flat (brilliant) black.