3.2 un-restricted top speed?

A3_3.2_S-Line

Reaction score
Out of interest does anyone know the top speed of an un-restricted 3.2 A3?:racer:

Theoretically,you can work it out using the final gear ratio and max revs.
In practice,god knows.
Are they restricted to 155mph ?
I'd have thought that was pretty close to max speed anyway.
They're neither that aerodynamic nor that powerful.

According to the Audi brochure they are 'restricted' to 155mph.

I think that's a happy co-incidence that,which Audi play up to.
I think that's their top speed anyway,more or less.
I'd be interested to see how long they take to get there.
I can't see them flying up to that speed in such a way as to suggest they would do more,if it weren't for the restriction.
At those sorts of speeds,you need massive amounts of power just to go a wee bit faster.
For example,a 110bhp bike will do 160mph,but getting anywhere near 200mph ('only' another 40mph) requires something like double the power !

I think that's their top speed anyway,more or less.
I'd be interested to see how long they take to get there.

I should think something in the region of 2-3 days - one day to get to the Channel, another day to get across France and a third to find a quiet strech of Autobahn!

bowfer said:
Theoretically,you can work it out using the final gear ratio and max revs.
In practice,god knows.
Are they restricted to 155mph ?
I'd have thought that was pretty close to max speed anyway.
They're neither that aerodynamic nor that powerful.

In other words you dont know. :undwech:

Dave R is spot on in reality, but I did eventually manage 159mph on the autobahn at about 6,300rpm, 2 up with a bootful of camping gear. Was happily increasing quite well until 150 or so, then slowly until this speed. Who knows if this was the limiter or not, but not a mile more.

And 8mpg on the DIS.

not sure how to copy these in as I've seen but answering Bowfers comments below

"I'd be interested to see how long they take to get there."
"I can't see them flying up to that speed in such a way as to suggest they would do more,if it weren't for the restriction."

a 3.2 will "fly" past any other current A3 and from a standing start will accelerate up to max with no sudden stop in acceleration, I think this is power not overcoming the airpressure combined with the gearing. not timed it yet but it doesn't hit a wall until showing about 160. I'd guesstimate about 25 - 30 seconds to get there, but could be more or less, too busy watching mirrors etc to use a watch.

I've just come back from 10 days on the continent and over 2300 miles averaging 18.9mpg!! 1 journey needed three tanks of fuel to complete and also many flat out blasts one where I ran for 3 minutes flat out.. My Sat Nav showed a steady 158, indicated as well over 165, and about 6.3K this was on the flat on a Tollroad, with about a quarter of a tank and no luggage or passengers. It wouldn't rev any higher although I think this is aerodynamics and again like your comments about fast bikes it takes an almost exponential increase in power to overcome the air the vehicle is pushing through to gain significantly once above 140

normal running two up some stuff in boot etc. typical max indicated is about 158 which seems to be 149 again from the SatNav

I think its a both happy coincidence and also the gearing that keeps it "limited" to 155, don't think its electronic, although I have a REVO and this I'm sure gives me a few more revs, so maybe I DID have a limiter..

would be willing to have a like minded passenger time a few 0-full speed runs, at an undisclosed location some time...purely in the interest of science of course and not to upset those oil burners fed-up with running out of revs half way round the dial!

and not to upset those oil burners fed-up with running out of revs half way round the dial![\quote]

But us 'oil burners' have a very distict advantage when it comes to the amount of fuel used. You say you managed an average of 18.9mpg over you 2300 miles of continental driving. I took my A3 'oil burner' to Switzerland and Austria earlier in the year and covered just over 3000 miles at an overall average of 48.9mpg. Some 30mpg more than you 3.2. This included several quite long runs on the autobahn at around 130mph. Also diesel is quite a bit cheaper on the continent that petrol and much cheaper that in the UK. In Austria for instance its around 74p per litre.

Each to his own of course, but I could never justify the extra cost for an extra 20-30mph that I could only use safely in Germany.

thanks for that but hey no need to rub it in !!

I have to say driving back cruising on the long tollroads I wished for a diesel, I did the same main journey last year in a Renault 120dci and averaged 39 and also managed quite a bit of flat out for sustained periods, although only at 120mph that time, it does make you think

so I absolutely agree on the Fuel consumption and was thinking seriously about the 170tdi during my many fuel stops, 198 miles was worst tank full, best 245 and crawling last 20 miles to not run with DIS showing 5 miles left on one peage was hard to swallow.

But listening to my Engine sing as I drove just the 5 miles home from the dealer rekindled my feeling towards that big V6 and made its Superunleaded addiction seem almost acceptable and on the sweeping RN roads and great surfaces France seem to major on the car was way more fun than the diesel last year.

but by god did it use some fuel

Hay Da3m,

I see you have had your 3.2 chipped, would you say it a worth doing?

Cheers

I am not 100% but I think the rev limit is moved it also sounds and pulls better through the gears, I guess as more fuel/air is going in, assume that's what the map does.

although as on previous posts there is a noticeable drop at about 4K which all 3.2s have that I think is more pronounced now, during the map they can adjust the throttle setting, originally it was on 9 after the REVO and it was hair trigger on the throttle very difficult to be smooth, but this affects the manual more than than the DSG I feel.
STD is 4 or 5 I think and now I have had it set on 6 and it gives you more modulation with the throttle but better and keener to rev than as standard.

The car is now faster top end also, I never saw more than probably 157 indicated and now it is still gaining speed (slowly) past that point and holds at over 165 indicated. Although the car is now on 18K, REVO done at 14K and don't think this is just the engine loosening up

If you like the sound of the V6, you'll appreciate it even more, and I think it feels better now, personally now I wish I'd gone with an AMD custom map, bit more money but you get before and after RR sessions,

da3m said:
. I'd guesstimate about 25 - 30 seconds to get there, but could be more or less, too busy watching mirrors etc to use a watch.

I had a little video of mine in Germany. Not as fast as you think.

Changed into 6th at 130mph, so in top :

130-140 7 seconds
140-150 9 seconds
150-159 12 seconds (155 to 159 was very slow)

So 28 seconds from 130 to 159. Fastest to 100 would be say 16-17 secs on a flying start then another say (guess) 15 secs to 130, so total of about a minute.

It was fun when I did it the once but it's all a bit academic really. If the car had all the fun but a top speed of only 120 I would still be happy as you rarely get to use it unless you travel in Germany much (which I do, but I have others to think about!)

da3m said:
a 3.2 will "fly" past any other current A3 and from a standing start will accelerate up to max with no sudden stop in acceleration, I think this is power not overcoming the airpressure combined with the gearing. not timed it yet but it doesn't hit a wall until showing about 160. I'd guesstimate about 25 - 30 seconds to get there, but could be more or less, too busy watching mirrors etc to use a watch.

No offence but your talking absolute twoddle!

Yes it is currently the fastest A3 from a standing start.

30 secs to get to 0-160mph? Dream on!

I dare say it will hit around the 160 mark but it takes forever and a day to get there.

J.

160 on the speedo is nowhere near 160mph I would say more like 145mph..
Had mine to 175mph on the speedo but it is restricted to 155mph..so they say.(6.7mpg on dis ouch!)

Need roadangel to prove the point I think..got there quick though

They say the 225bhp TT will do 155mph too... S3 155mph so 3.2 should too only every driven one and didn't get a chance to belt it really, lovely car and gearbox...sounds the nuts too

I had a 2.5tdi allroad up to 145mph tail wind and down hill they should only do 135mph 14.7 mpg on dis

Probably 155.

The original R32 had a top speed of mph (km/h): 153(247) . Not limited. And this was 10 bhp short.

twaddle, strong words!!

although I never claimed 30 seconds to max, never thought to time it and as said too busy watching what's going on.

married blonde,
bit worried about your for ever and a day though? have you driven one?, I can max mine within about three miles, think that's pretty good for something weighting this much

marmite
I agree about top speed and think from this and previous posts there is a lot of difference even between our individual speedo's accuracies, <1% accuracy is quoted for my SatNav, indicated at just over 165 on speedo shows as 158 on SatNav which is about 5% difference,

answering the question.
for mine with a REVO map so guess that's as unrestricted as you get without tuning I am happy that it'll do 158.

8mpg is outrageously low for a 3.2V6, even for those sort of speeds. A mate of mine averaged 8mpg around the Nordschleife in an M5!

If you were doing 159mph and assuming the 3.2Q has the same 55L tank as my lowly diesel, I calculate you'd use an entire tank every 37 minutes!

Have I driven one? Not exactley but I did have an R32 so I know how quick they are. I also had mine max out a few times so I also know how fast they can go and how long it takes to get there. From around 110 upto 160 takes forever and a day!!!

Mine was also coded and had a miltek exhaust - 270bhp.

I've also driven the TT 3.2 which was slower...

And if you re-read your post you said 25-30 guesstimate to 160...

So you can max your car out from a standing start in 3 miles, good luck with that.

Anyway back to the twaddle statement I made...

Well us diesel drivers have the last laugh, I pay less tax, my insurance is cheaper, my economy is better and since the remap apart from the traffic light grand prix my car is pretty much as fast at useable speeds... :)

Ok I will concede to speccing the Bose to drown out the tractor type noise...

Vertigo1 said:
8mpg is outrageously low for a 3.2V6, even for those sort of speeds. A mate of mine averaged 8mpg around the Nordschleife in an M5!

If you were doing 159mph and assuming the 3.2Q has the same 55L tank as my lowly diesel, I calculate you'd use an entire tank every 37 minutes!

I wouldn't say your diesel is lowly! I will be heading that way soon probably but in A4 Avant guise as newborn, pushchairs and the rest of Mothercare doesn't fit in an A3 very well. It was about 8mpg for a few moments whilst still trying to go faster nearing top speed. And for a matter of seconds before I backed off. Soon got back up to the low 20s. Average for my trip to Spa and back via Germany was around 26mpg, as it gets approx 28 or so at a steady 90.

60l tank for the 3.2 - but a scary thought! At least the extra 5 litres would give me another 2-3 mins to get to the next petrol station!

the bose doesn't help the rest of us deafened and choking on the smoke though eh? ;)

and surely a PTO would be more use!

seriously though I respect diesels enormously, my 3.2 is a bit of a treat for a recent change in circumstances and a change from a few years of needing to be a bit prudent and have had some truely great diesels in that time,

currently holding out for the next 335D coupe so hope the comments are taken as they were meant...

cheers

I have driven a load of diesels; I know exactly what all you diesel boys are on about when it comes to the usefulness of the toque curve!

And yes I like the overtaking ability of them, line her up, select the correct gear and watch her take off! (Just don’t try to overtake more then one car)

I just feel that all diesel drivers have to make an extra special effort to prove to us all that diesels are the way to go.

At the end of the day if you don’t have to think about mpg and company car tax then you wouldn’t even be thinking about diesel!

Denial, comes to mind. :doctor:

da3m said:
the bose doesn't help the rest of us deafened and choking on the smoke though eh? ;)

Valid point but I think it's from way too much Bond as a child!

da3m said:
currently holding out for the next 335D coupe so hope the comments are taken as they were meant...

Definately hence the smiley's :)

I love this thread

Deisel Vs 3.2 :lol:

Got to say i love both to the same degree,
The Oil burners are great for a quick overtake as they have loads of midrange torque, but dont keep going up the rev range, you really have to work the gears.
Get the changes right and they fly :)

People who buy 3.2s dont care about MPG :lol:

marmite said:
160 on the speedo is nowhere near 160mph I would say more like 145mph..

I agree...

They say the 225bhp TT will do 155mph too... S3 155mph so 3.2 should too only every driven one and didn't get a chance to belt it really, lovely car and gearbox...sounds the nuts too

My S3 had a genuine 275 BHP and 330 lb-ft and I couldn't get it to crack 150MPH...on a very long road.
I'm sure it would have...but not got to 155.
Which makes me wonder about some of the claims for top speed...

Vertigo1 said:

I was getting 18.x MPG doing sub 8.00 minute bridge to gantry laps in the 911...

I also get 18MPG doing 160+ on the road...

Can a 3.2 V6 really be greedier?
I'm shocked...

Ess_Three said:
My S3 had a genuine 275 BHP and 330 lb-ft and I couldn't get it to crack 150MPH...on a very long road.
I'm sure it would have...but not got to 155.
Which makes me wonder about some of the claims for top speed...

I've got a picture of me doing 158mph in a standard 225bhp S3 but it did take a long time to get there.

J.

marriedblonde said:
I've got a picture of me doing 158mph in a standard 225bhp S3 but it did take a long time to get there.

J.

On what?
The irrelevant speedo, or on a Road angel, or similar?

Mine was a quick S3 but above 140MPH the acceleration slowed down...I saw 148 genuine (RA) and there wasn't much to come...a few MPH...certainly not another 10 MPH!

Every standard S3 I played with, it absolutely anhilalated at the top end...but there was no way it would do 158 as long as I have a hole in my ar*e!

The aerodynamics become the limit at approx 150MPH...you need lots more power and torque to go only a few MPH faster with the same aerodynamics.

When Top Gear did the max speed run in the Veyron they said it used 270bhp to get to 150mph but needed the rest (730bhp!) to do the next 100mph! Quite neatly demonstrates what bowfer was saying. As speed increases, the aerodynamic drag increases exponentially plus the higher gearing means you're getting less torque at the wheels.

A Veyron is going to be a damn site more aerodynamic than an A3 and weight isn't much of an issue for top speed runs so if the Bugatti needed 270bhp to do 150mph, I can't see a 256bhp A3 doing much over 155.

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
:blahblah1: MPG, MPG! Who the hell cares, not me :blahblah1:

likewise - i couldn't give a toss about top speed - its irrelevant - 70 is the limit in this country anyway so you can't go much faster than that 98% of the time! My car can do 140mph - just 15mph less than a 3.2 - i for one am more than happy with that as thats extra speed i will NEVER use (and most other people will not either). They are talking about introducing laws on new cars to have them limited to 101mph - that'll obviously upset a few people here!

I know for one my 170 tdi has more torque and useable power than a 3.2 and uses half the fuel - i'm happy. And as ive said before, in normal driving its probably every bit as capable, if not more!

Some people choose diesel because of fuel consumption - but ill have to be honest i didnt. I debated on a 2.0T petrol but after driving it it felt weedy in comparison with my old 140 tdi let alone 170 - thats why i buy a tdi because i prefer the low down, lazy and effortless power delivery, and the DSG amplifies this even more adding the equivalent performance of 20bhp i expect. OK so they dont sound as good, i'm not too bothered about that really, it still whistles (turbo) and i like that sound so that masks some of the diesel clatter out for me - oh plus BOSE!

steve184 said:
likewise - i couldn't give a toss about top speed - its irrelevant - 70 is the limit in this country anyway so you can't go much faster than that 98% of the time! My car can do 140mph - just 15mph less than a 3.2 - i for one am more than happy with that as thats extra speed i will NEVER use (and most other people will not either). They are talking about introducing laws on new cars to have them limited to 101mph - that'll obviously upset a few people here!

I know for one my 170 tdi has more torque and useable power than a 3.2 and uses half the fuel - i'm happy. And as ive said before, in normal driving its probably every bit as capable, if not more!

Some people choose diesel because of fuel consumption - but ill have to be honest i didnt. I debated on a 2.0T petrol but after driving it it felt weedy in comparison with my old 140 tdi let alone 170 - thats why i buy a tdi because i prefer the low down, lazy and effortless power delivery, and the DSG amplifies this even more adding the equivalent performance of 20bhp i expect. OK so they dont sound as good, i'm not too bothered about that really, it still whistles (turbo) and i like that sound so that masks some of the diesel clatter out for me - oh plus BOSE!

The thing with cars that can do 155, is that they can reach 140 easier than yours generally...and I would suggest 70mph also...

your 170 is more capable on the road than the 3.2? That made me chuckle....

but the biscuit...DSG adding the equivalent of 20bhp...sides now splitting

And who are "They"?