Sat nav and bluetooth

Andy Shipton

Reaction score
Hi, can any body help i want to retro fit sat nav and bluetooth to the new A3, i want to use the shark fin arieal in the roof i know that the gps connection fits to the back of the RNS-E but does the Telephone connection go to the Bluetooth module where the attenna fits or does it go somewhere else.

I didn't think a bluetooth option was available for the A3?

Isn't on the price list anywhere, only a non-BT option with a cradle. This is the UK I'm talking about here mind, maybe it's only available in other markets?

Vertigo1 said:
Isn't on the price list anywhere, only a non-BT option with a cradle. This is the UK I'm talking about here mind, maybe it's only available in other markets?

The carkit with the cradle is the bluetooth unit. The cradle just charges the phone and connects it to the external roof mounted car aerial. without the cradle its just a bluetooth phone kit using the mobiles own aerial. Im using it this way as there are no cradles out for any phone remotely modern(last 2-3 yrs).

dandle said:
The carkit with the cradle is the bluetooth unit. The cradle just charges the phone and connects it to the external roof mounted car aerial. without the cradle its just a bluetooth phone kit using the mobiles own aerial. Im using it this way as there are no cradles out for any phone remotely modern(last 2-3 yrs).

So if I got Sat nav+ will I be able to hook up my phone to it via bluetooth?

Or do I have to get a special bluetooth modual fitted to the A3?

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
So if I got Sat nav+ will I be able to hook up my phone to it via bluetooth?

Or do I have to get a special bluetooth modual fitted to the A3?
There is a bluetooth module specifically for the RNS-E Sat Nav which will do the trick. You can find them on eBay.

dandle said:
Cheers for the info (ignore my post in other thread, hadn't seen your reply here)

I notice that you have a cradle in your car, are you saying you just don't use it as it's not compatible with your phone? The price list description for the GSM phone prep says the cradle is extra cost above the £385, in which case can you just not have the cradle fitted and still use the bluetooth functionality?

EDIT: Also, does the phone kit fully integrate with the main Nav+ screen and DIS display if you have these?

The cradle fits on a mount that is attached to the dashboard, it was the mount I ment i had not the cradle as they dont make them for any modern phones really. It does look a bit tacky but theres not much i can do about it apart from see of they get into gear and make a cradle for my k800i. Using the phone as i do now it fully intergrates with both the RNS-E, DIS and multi funtion steering wheel.

Hmm, want the kit but don't want the mount really, with or without the cradle attached. I've driven an A4 before with a BT kit but no cradle at all and I like the way I could just leave my phone in my pocket and the car would connect to it automatically when I started it. Wonder if they'll do the kit without the cradle at all, or if the cradle can be removed afterward. Even if they do this as an option, I think my chances of getting the lease company to actually forward this little detail on to Audi when the place the order are slim to none.

Order the car with RNS-E then and get craigyb to retrofit the bluetooth module for you then(or fit it yourself although it will need coding with VAG-COM). It will probably be around the same price as Audi charge anyway and you wont have the cradle mount on the dash then. It will have the same phone functionality apart from charging the phone or connecting to the car aerial.

Well I had a chat with the guy at the dealer this morning whilst test driving a 2.0TDI 170 and he said there's no way of removing the cradle. Audi won't let you specify the kit without the cradle and the dealer won't remove it afterward.

This is a pain in the backside tbh as I really don't want the cradle. To me, half the appeal of a BT kit is being able to just leave my phone in my pocket and not bother about putting it in a cradle. Yes I can do this but it renders the cradle useless and I don't really want it there at all. I'm annoyed that Audi won't just omit the cradle fitting when building the car to order as it's no skin off their nose and they charge enough for the kit.

As for getting the BT module fitted later, this is a possibility but the car will be a lease vehicle and I'm wary of interfering with it in anyway. However unlikely, if I retrofit things like this and then have problems with the electrics I could get in a whole world of bother with the dealer and lease company which won't impress my employers one bit.

Send a PM to S8craig(hes changed his name) and he will tell you how difficult the bluetooth module is to fit. He can also give you a price for the parts and fit it if you want.

I don't know anything about retro-fitting the official Audi bluetooth kit, but I've just fitted my old Parrott CK3000 bluetooth kit into my new A3. They only cost £60 or so new (similar to the Nokia bluetooth car kit) and it works just great.

All it needs is a live, ignition and earth connection power connection from the fusebox, and you then connect the mute and speaker wire into the back of the radio unit - and the system cuts out the audio system and plays the phone through the car speakers, just like the integrated Audi system.

If you do want a cradle, you can fit one, or just leave the phone in your pocket...

I use a TomTom satnav unit on my PDA/phone and just use a simple and neat magnetic mount that attaches to the windscreen by a sucker.