Some suggestions Please

ginner

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this is an Audi site but I want to some useful advice on a new car for the wife. she currently drives a Mini Cooper but wants a change. The criteria are as follows:

1 Needs to look good and suit her image (she thinks she is trendy)
2 Not too expensive maybe about same price as a Mini
3 I will have to drive it sometimes so dont want to look like a plonka
4 A nice drive would be nice too

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Those Civic Type Rs are one heck of a eye catcher,

[ QUOTE ]
Those Civic Type Rs are one heck of a eye catcher,

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick as well & can handle.

CTRs have awful interiors, very low rent. Red interior is bad enough, but worse still is the metal look fascia and door handles - you can't spray plastic grey\silver and believe peeps will think it is metal. On the demo I tried, the interior door handles had black plastic showing through where the silver paint was wearing off.

Is a used BMW 1 a possibility (someone had to suggest it, soorry!)? Plenty of used ones about.

My missus wants a Mini,but I'm just not willing to pay the money asked for them.

So she's been told she's not getting one.

I'm trying to steer (sic) her towards the new Honda Civic.

1/ I think it looks great.
2/ It will be reliable
3/ I won't mind driving it at all (I wouldn't be seen dead in a Mini,to me you'd be as well wearing a Freddie Mercury costume).

Bowfer - do you wear an MCP tie as well ?

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer - do you wear an MCP tie as well ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've lost me there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Thanks Mike. Bowfer is obviously much too young to know what MCP stands for !

His comments were the best example I've seen for ages.

CTR's, i'd leave them to the pizza hut wheel smokin' crew. Interior is like a lego kit, cheap!

You can pick a new GTI up for around 17k now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

failing that, what about a late S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Mike. Bowfer is obviously much too young to know what MCP stands for !

His comments were the best example I've seen for ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't the point of a joke be that everyone gets it ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Anyway,moving swiftly on (where's the tumbleweed graemlin)...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My missus would laugh at your suggestion that I'm an MCP though.
Every car she's had has been her own choice,but they have been sound choices backed up by my opinion.

Would you let your missus buy any car she wanted,regardless of whether you though it was a sound buy or not ?

Mind you,you're old school,so you probably just give her housekeeping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My wife chooses a car by its colour, so I try to find the right car in the right colour before she tests it. If its the wrong colour but the right car, forget it!

If there's a logic to it, its lost on me.

BTW she drives a Modus, and I'm quite impressed for a French car.

My wife likes anything that looks like it was designed for the disabled, inflated or small and round.

oh or anything pink.

I had to drive my wife's Peugeot 206 1.1 from Aberdeen to Ipswich so she could get her Honda HRV in black.

That's how willing I am to help her with her cars,as long as I think they are a sound buy.

Fair enough Bowfer I accept that your wife thinks you are a lovely husband. It's just that from your remarks it did seem that you wife had very little say in what car she was allowed to buy.

And no, I'm not from the old school apart from the fact that I'm older than you.. As such I do have trouble understanding quite what some members are talking about at times, especially when they use modern text message English rather than 'proper' English. It was nice to be able to use an abreviation that use oldies would understand for a change.

My wife has always earned and contibuted just as much as I have and she has always had a free choice as to which car she drives. She does, naturally, ask my opinion but if she really wanted to buy a car that I didn't like that would be up to her. It's as much her money as mine - we have joint accounts for everything.

In general the only thing I might try to influence her on is the colour as I always clean her car as well as mine. If she did, for example, choose black or a dark blue or similar, then OK ,but she would have to clean it herself.

She currently drives a Volkswagen Polo 1.4SE manual and loves it. She is also just beginning to get to like the DSG on my A3 as she drives it more often.

[ QUOTE ]
She is also just beginning to get to like the DSG on my A3 as she drives it more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of this remark,in the context of this thread,being.....?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Is this another DSG thread ?

if so.... My wife didnt drive the DSG until it was delivered.

I think she lieks it but have never really asked her.
She hasnt complained about it.. so must be good.

Mind you anything is good after a Siezed up WR1 ! LOL !

I put that remark in because 1. It's true and 2. I thought bowfer would rise to the bait and, of course, he did.

All good fun really ! Life would be dull without you Bowfer.

Tell me bowf - Yes or No - have you stopped beating your wife yet? - only kidding...(a v. old and not terribly good joke - David probably knows it therefore...). My wife drives - me round the bend.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And no, I'm not from the old school apart from the fact that I'm older than you.. As such I do have trouble understanding quite what some members are talking about at times, especially when they use modern text message English rather than 'proper' English. It was nice to be able to use an abreviation that use oldies would understand for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it easy there David I am only in my early 30's and I know what MCP meant...

Claire chooses what cars she wants but she does ask my opinion on them. Colour wise she get whatever she likes (I like black cars and she normall goes for black or silver so no issue there!), never cleans them but likes them to be cleaned.

The only thing she was tempted to buy that I disagreed with was an MGF but asked my opinion and actually listened to me and decided on an Mx5 instead.

She knows that if she wants a car I don't agree with then I wont help pay for it...

same here - if she likes it then we buy it......... she doesn't tell me what car i can have so i don't feel the need to tell her either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been in this situation, my girlfriend has wanted a convertible for a while and she's decided it's time to do something about it. I made some suggestions and we've both test driven the MR2 and MX5 she prefers the MR2 and I think I probably just prefer the MX5 (mainly because the gearchange was better and it was more fun) but it was the top of the range new 2.0 sport with all the options so I suppose it wasn't really fair.

I know she'll get which ever car she wants in the end so I've just been trying to help her make her decision - they just don't make MR2s in pink or they'd have sold one by now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take it easy there David I am only in my early 30's and I know what MCP meant...

[/ QUOTE ]

Microsoft Certified Professional?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, its MCSE now! I passed all the early MCP exams, now they want to make more money out of me doing the MCSE ones, they must work closely with Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been in this situation, my girlfriend has wanted a convertible for a while and she's decided it's time to do something about it. I made some suggestions and we've both test driven the MR2 and MX5 she prefers the MR2 and I think I probably just prefer the MX5 (mainly because the gearchange was better and it was more fun) but it was the top of the range new 2.0 sport with all the options so I suppose it wasn't really fair.

I know she'll get which ever car she wants in the end so I've just been trying to help her make her decision - they just don't make MR2s in pink or they'd have sold one by now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mr2 is the much better car. Claire's got a new roadster now and while the gearchange in the Mx5 is better, the Mr2 is the much nicer car to drive. Better handling, better brakes and IMHO it looks nicer as well.

Even being mid engined so long as you get a late 03 onwards with the revised suspension -you can tell as they have different lights, 16" rear wheels 15" on the front (15"s all round on the old model) and a 6 speed gearbox then handling is pretty safe. I took Claires to thruxton for the day and the handling was great, nice and progressive.

J.

[ QUOTE ]

The Mr2 is the much better car. Claire's got a new roadster now and while the gearchange in the Mx5 is better, the Mr2 is the much nicer car to drive. Better handling, better brakes and IMHO it looks nicer as well.

Even being mid engined so long as you get a late 03 onwards with the revised suspension -you can tell as they have different lights, 16" rear wheels 15" on the front (15"s all round on the old model) and a 6 speed gearbox then handling is pretty safe. I took Claires to thruxton for the day and the handling was great, nice and progressive.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this in comparison to the brand new 2.0 sport MX5? I agree the MR2 is great to drive but felt a bit gutless to be honest and even though the MX5 isn't much better it's more like, and the cabin is MILES ahead of the MR2 - and it has a boot! like I said, if it was my money for me out of the 2 I'd get a fully loaded MX5 but that would be about £5k+ more than the MR2 so again not really fair.

I've never jumped in a car and been ragging the nuts off it as quickly as the MX5, total confidence even on the cold and slippy roads - I think the main thing that put me off was the lack of space for my big feet on the pedals the same reason I didn't really get on with the VX220 turbo / Elise. Again compared to the 6 speed box in my S3 the MX5 had a very good short throw direct gearbox. Basically if they made an MX5 with an engine in it that had over 200bhp and 200lbft I think I'd be putting an order in!

Oh ****** am I turning into a woman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

LOL!! I had a 2001 MX5 for about a year, it was way cool fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stevieboy - I notice in your signature your say about Full Rubber Gear (front, back & boot)....

Is that the car, you or the Cat !