Front wheel / suspension question (intro aswell)

geomor

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Rather new to this forums but not new to the scene!
So i bought an 06 A3 2.0T FSI DSG with 100,000km on the clock, Lava grey in colour and completely stock. will definitely post up some pics soon. Im also from Australia (Melbourne)

Now even with the stock 147kw, I still cant seem to get traction on cornering, launches etc on standard 17's.
My first question is on standard ride height or sport suspension what are the widest wheels i can run in the front without rubbing?
I have seen alot of people run 8.5" with et40 but can we go any wider? I have searched and cant really find a answer, also looked thru the 'rimzzzz' thread and there isn't many pictures with specs attached to them

Thanks in advanced
George

Make sure you have a decent tyre first off.

Im running 225s, Whiteline ALK + front bushings and 034 Motorsport engine/trans/dogbone insert. I don't really have any traction issues in the dry and I have a remap + intake.

WALK made the biggest difference to traction. Uprated shocks/springs will give better traction when cornering in addition to the above too.

To answer your initial question. Without getting ridiculous poke and or rubbing on the inner arch, 225s are about the limit on a lowered car. At standard ride height I imagine 235s will be fine but won't look the best.
RS3s go wider but they have flared front arches so they can drop the offset without the wheels poking past the guards.

I'll be running conti sport 3's

I'm also looking for a flush look on the front so a 8.5" with et 40 and a 225 or 235 tyre will be fine? E standard tyres are 225 right, so what benefit would I get by running a wider wheel wight e same size tyre?

How do you find the walk and bushings over stock? What size wheels and tyres are running? Also any traction issue off the line?

No drawbacks with WALK in my opinion. I have a bit of stretch and slight poke with 19x8.5 43et and 225/35/19 tyres.
Here is my build thread that has more info/reviews, need to get around to posting it in the project room on this site.
My A3 Sportback Progress Thread/Diary

RE traction. I get better traction off the line now with another 50bhp or so than I did stock.

Had a read through your build thread, pretty impressive and beutiful looking car i must say,

Du you order the whiteline productsa direct from there website? Considering your in NZ and im Aus im interested to see where you find your parts.

I have also decided on 18x8.5 et43 front and 18x9/9.5 et40 rear. Will be looking to ordering the WALK aswell,