AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Radio volume

2nd Gear

Status

Radio volume

My radio seems to have a mind of it's own - the volume increases as the car moves away / noise related. I have turned off the automatic volume control, but it still seems to be working !!!!

Help please
    Malcolm

Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Has yours got Bose & a fairly new car, year would help & does it have an RNS-E head unit?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    I think it is good the way it controls the volume, you set it where you want and increases/decreases as you drive. Saves you constantly turning up down as you slow etc.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No mate there's a bug known that changes volume sporadically with Bose facelift cars, 2 fixes for it, but lets wait for him to advise further.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Come fix mine NHN!!!!

My fist has nearly been through the RNS-E screen on many occasions!!

Even after turning it down after setting off, it creeps back up!!

2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Status
    Mines does it also

Bazinga

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rs3kel View Post
    Mines does it also
    Same here does my head in!!!!!
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    No mate there's a bug known that changes volume sporadically with Bose facelift cars, 2 fixes for it, but lets wait for him to advise further.
    Yes I do have Bose - my car is A3 2.0TDI S Line 2010 - please advise of fixes

Cheers

Malcolm
    Malcolm

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    There are 2 ways, 1 is a TPI with audi for background hissing which hopefully fixes the volume up/down by way of a new bose mic & if not then other is more indepth & requires coding, wiring, removing trims, disconnecting amp which needs someone to install tbh, takes few hours.

2nd Gear

Status
    There are 2 ways, 1 is a TPI with audi for background hissing which hopefully fixes the volume up/down by way of a new bose mic & if not then other is more indepth & requires coding, wiring, removing trims, disconnecting amp which needs someone to install tbh, takes few hours.
    Thanks for that - I have e-mailed my Audi dealer for their comments (car is still under warranty) and will post back what they have to say. Judging by the number of replies on this thread it seems to be quite a common problem.
    I would be interested to here if any forum member has had this problem and had it fixed by Audi

Cheers

Malcolm
    Malcolm

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes lots of people have had the issue, mostly black editions with rns-e head units, but wasn't a TPI for a while until numerous people reported, but allot of people moaned but did sweet fa about it, obviously it didn't bother them that much.

I've done a few cars via the more extreme wiring way, which has a cost element.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes lots of people have had the issue, mostly black editions with rns-e head units, but wasn't a TPI for a while until numerous people reported, but allot of people moaned but did sweet fa about it, obviously it didn't bother them that much.

I've done a few cars via the more extreme wiring way, which has a cost element.
    Thanks for reply - is this something Audi will do though?
    Malcolm

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ask them fella.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ask them fella.
    They want to book the car in "for tests" - is there anything I can point them in the right direction to?

You say you have "done a few" was this the recommended fix or what?

Cheers for help

Malcolm
    Malcolm

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I did advise above about it being a TPI for hissing in background, they can easily check this, if that doesn't work, then the amp/wiring etc mod isn't a TPI afaik atm for these cars, but was a fix for older cars, but you need to discuss with them if under warranty work.

2nd Gear

Status
    I did advise above about it being a TPI for hissing in background, they can easily check this, if that doesn't work, then the amp/wiring etc mod isn't a TPI afaik atm for these cars, but was a fix for older cars, but you need to discuss with them if under warranty work.
    Thanks for clarification - my car is booked in and I will report back when hopefully fixed
    Malcolm

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Come fix mine NHN!!!!

My fist has nearly been through the RNS-E screen on many occasions!!

Even after turning it down after setting off, it creeps back up!!

What year is your car ?
    Malcolm

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rs3kel View Post
    Mines does it also
    What year is your car too?
    Malcolm

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneeringman View Post
    Same here does my head in!!!!!
    What year is your car ?

Cheers all
    Malcolm

Neutral

Status
    Does the same to me to. It's a 2009 sportback, RNS-E. I have 12 months warrenty so, I have it booked in tomorrow, with Audi Halesowen.
    Last edited by Beckford; 13th March 2013 at 19:17.

Status
    Hi there mine is a 2011

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers Guys - seems like we all have the same problem please keep in touch with what Audi find and if they fix it. I have spoken to my local Audi dealer who say "never heard of it" - which I find hard to believe as so many people seem to have the same problem. Anyway my car is booked in "for tests" on 2nd April so will report back
    Malcolm

Status
    Hi there there talking rubbish as its been a problem for years ,as soon as you start the car with the rnse on the volume goes mad ,so they had never driven the 8p2/3 cars!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its only been present on some facelift cars & only heard of from Bose cars, does everyone here have Bose?

Bazinga

Status
    Its only been present on some facelift cars & only heard of from Bose cars, does everyone here have Bose?
    Mine has Bose, and its a 2011 model, also had a 2010 sportback a couple of years ago and that did the same thing, volume raised as soon as I started it up, even though I hate going to audi Manchester, looks like a trip might be in order.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

Status
    Yeah nigel i have bose ,also happened on a retro fit 2011 rnse in my 58 plate s3 8p3 without bose....

Neutral

Status
    Bose here as well, I'm getting the hissing noise at low volume level as well ( could this be down to iPhone connected via blue-tooth?) and as soon as I drive off, all the bass seems to disappear. I've turned gala off and checked in Vagcom, and it's off in there as well.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its not Gala, its Audiopilot that's the issue.

Neutral

Status

Thats automatically controlled I take it, with no option to disable it?

2nd Gear

Status
    I also have turned off Gala - What exactly is Audiopilot and can it be turned off or is this part of the "fix" that can be applied?

PS - I have Bose too
    Malcolm

Neutral

Status
    Update,

Had the parts manager from Audi Halesowen in my car and showed him the problems with the stereo. he confirmed and agreed with everything i have said i this thread, he sees it as a fault and is trying to determine a fix. Hes going to phone me on Monday for an update, so will keep you all posted!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Parts manager, you need aftersales manager to deal with this, as with respect, parts guys are not, usually, up on technical issues of this nature, going on my experience anyway, but good luck.

Neutral

Status
    I have a 2010 black edition with the Bose and I've also noticed the volume increase when setting off or during the initial fast idle on a cold morning. It doesn't bother me too much. The volume drops when the car stops and rises again when I move off...but once I'm moving it stays constant (no matter how much the road noise etc. changes).

So, yeah it's a pretty useless "feature" but it doesn't really annoy me. I haven't noticed the background hiss problem.

Neutral

Status
    Parts manager, you need aftersales manager to deal with this, as with respect, parts guys are not, usually, up on technical issues of this nature, going on my experience anyway, but good luck.
    Well, he was the highest manager there without going to regional. There's other issues which he is taking care of And he has access to all departments including tech. So am leaving it with him. If no joy. I will escalate further

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
    Update,

Had the parts manager from Audi Halesowen in my car and showed him the problems with the stereo. he confirmed and agreed with everything i have said i this thread, he sees it as a fault and is trying to determine a fix. Hes going to phone me on Monday for an update, so will keep you all posted!
    Yes please keep me informed - my car is going to Audi Camberley on 2nd April for the same fault - so any further info will be useful
    Malcolm

Neutral

Status
    Ok, got off the phone to Audi, he's basically narrowed it down to audiopilot like NHN said. But said the tech team say its operating as it should. He tested the same symptoms on half a dozen RNS-E with Bose, and there all doing the same thing. I asked if he could remove it and he said it would throw up an error if it wasn't there.

He did say Audi / Bose would have to redesign it but if they don't get enough complaints Audi won't take notice, as they see it as no issue because only a few are piping up. So what do I say to that, aftermarket perhaps? Or cut the wire and hope my dash dos'nt turn into Blackpool eluminations. I could live with the volume but lack of bass as soon as you turn it over makes it rubbish

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    FFS, there's a TPI for the bose mic, useless feckwits.

You can disable audiopilot via a mod, its a Bose mod as well, as I rang Bose about it!!!

Neutral

Status
    I might give Bose a call then. any ideas what the mod is called? Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction as in who to speak to at Bose, if I can get this official I can flag it to Audi and they could do the mod?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
    Ok, got off the phone to Audi, he's basically narrowed it down to audiopilot like NHN said. But said the tech team say its operating as it should. He tested the same symptoms on half a dozen RNS-E with Bose, and there all doing the same thing. I asked if he could remove it and he said it would throw up an error if it wasn't there.

He did say Audi / Bose would have to redesign it but if they don't get enough complaints Audi won't take notice, as they see it as no issue because only a few are piping up. So what do I say to that, aftermarket perhaps? Or cut the wire and hope my dash dos'nt turn into Blackpool eluminations. I could live with the volume but lack of bass as soon as you turn it over makes it rubbish
    Gets more interesting by the minute - Audi MUST take notice surely !!!
    Malcolm

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm glad I found this thread. Me and the misses have been trying to work out if it's us going insane or the radio changing it's volume as it chooses :lol:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast