Cars arrived - wrong spec!

mas

Reaction score
My car has now arrived at the dealers but when I went to look at it I've noticed its got the wrong spec. I've got the Chorus II and not the Symphony II I ordered. The dealer messed up when they placed the order!

Ive been told that:

a) They can order a new car (yeah.....and wait another 4 months!)

b) Install a CD Changer in the glovebox (new glovebox required).

c) Rip-out the dash and install the Symphony (but they have to ask Audi tech for instructions)

I wanted the double din unit so I could upgrade to sat nav at a later date and I also want the spare connection for my iPod. I guess b) is a sensible option but I will insist I get some compensaton for the inconvienience.

Is there any difference in sound quality between these two units?

In addition, Elephant (my current insurer and soon to be ex) wont insure any of the optional extras according to the operator I spoke to! He told me they would only cover the cost of a basic car without any factory fitted options! They didn't know about the DSG. Are you guys insuring it as an automatic or a specific model?

Not very happy at the moment, hopefully it will change when I actually take delivery of the car (pos. Wednesday) but it could be delayed while they figure out what to do with the stereo.

I had the same issue when I picked up my car. They left out the auto-dim mirror with the auto-lights and wipers. I said I refuse to accept the car as thats not what I ordered. Agreed for me to drive the 'wrong' car for the next 3 months and while they ordered my correct spec. Still required me to pay though.

Anyway, they let me drive around for three months and then I took delivery of the 'correct' one later. Was alright with me as the missus managed to kerb one of the sline alloys and I covered fair mileage in it. Guess I also got more road tax if thats any consolation.

So still a happy ending, however it was the 6th Audi from this dealer from our family and my 3rd one from them. I suggest you refuse to take delivery of that car and let them order a new one and let them chew the lost. If you keep the stereo, upgrading to sat-nav would be more difficult (there a thread somewhere about it) - changing climate controls etc.

It's in-excusable what they've done, sloppy. Doesn't take much checking to order the correct spec.

You had a contract to supply a specific car, they haven't supplied it. Like AK47, I'd make them re-order and give me something equivalent in the meantime if I were you.

I hadn't thought about refusing the car, after waiting 4 months I just want to start using it. I dont fancy waiting another 4 months for another car.

On the other hand, spending almost £25k for a car with the wrong specification is far from ideal.

I'll see what they come back with on Monday, as the car is already registered (the have given me the reg. number) it supose it could cost them a fortune if I rejected the car at this stage.

Some room for negotiation I think.

why negotiate? i'd just flat refuse the car. You presumably ordered the options because you wanted them? The order, and contract, you signed was to supply a car of a certain spec. They haven't delivered - thers no ifs or buts on that one, and you shouldnt feel bad about asking what you have asked or paid for.

Refuse car and wait 4 months? And meanwhile drive something that's not yours? Right.

Changing the player (Symphony -> Chorus) isn't that big a deal, and can be done by the dealer, if they want.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I tend to agree with Yak that if the dealer can make the car good then some compensation will keep me happy.

Rejecting the car and waiting another 4 months is a bit drastic but worth considering if I dont get any joy.

I was undecided when I ordered the car whether I should go for the Symphony or Chorus. I was 50/50 at the time but the double din and iPod connection swung it in the end but I didn't want the tape player and I think the dash with the Chorus looks nicer.

I'll probably never get around to getting the SatNav as I've got a TomTom Go and I would need to get the business case signed off by the missus and she wants a new car first.

From a resale perspective, any ideas what system people prefer? What did you order?

Any views on the insurance situation I described, have you experienced the same?

You could get them to fit a Concert II player and a glovebox CD player rather than the Chorus II. The Concert II has a single CD slot on the facia rather than the tape slot and you get a further 6 in the glovebox CD player.

I had a similar problem back in 1998 when I ordered a new Golf VR6. My current car at the time was a VR6 and I wanted another one the same. The VR6 came as standard with an electric sunroof, but because of my upper body length I could not fit comfortably in the car with the sunroof. So my original VR6 was ordered to be without the sunroof. The second car was also ordered by the dealer to be without the sunroof and it was also part of the final batch of VR6s to be made. The dealer's order was correct but someone at VW in Milton Keynes messed up and the car arrived with a sunroof. I therefore refused the car, but they could not order another one as the order book for VR6s was closed.

I then went along to my local Audi dealer (same company but different dealership) and tried an A3 and liked it. I'm now on my 5th A3 so perhaps the story had a silver lining in the end.

I'm sure your dealer should be able to change from the Chorus II to the Concert II and add a glovebox CD as compensation without any problems at all.

When the delaer gave me the 'wrong' car, that car was still mine. I was the registered owner and the V5 document stated so.

When the correct car arrived 3-4 months later, it was just like trading in a car for another car (except no payment was necessary).

To me this was prefereable to having the options retro-fitted - and maybe the technicians making a bad fit compared to the factory. After consulting the techs, they said they couldn't retrofit the light sensors and auto-dim mirror anyway.

Obviously if the compensation is significant, you may consider it.

In terms of differences come resale, I doubt there be much difference in a Symphony II and a Concert II with CD Changer. Both will have BOSE and 6 CD's. Do you really need the cassette deck? If you want to retrofit the NAV, then the Symphony II is prefereable as it makes it much easier.

Personally i would have refused the car, let the dealer take the fall and let them sort you out a loan car until the new one comes.

Or.

Demand that they retro-fit the Sat-nav+ as compensation into the wrong car by one of their technicians to replace the chorus. This still would save them money.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

As for Elephant, i have been with them with my R32, but they weren'y bothered by extras like cruise control and tracker. But my friend has an Astra GSI turbo, which has 18"s, tints, all that sort of max power tosh fitted, which he pays for with Elephant.

Am I confused here, or did someone say that the Symphony has an input for an IPOD or similar?

Where is it then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry! I meant to say Concert and not Chorus! I shouldn't start posts when its close to my bed time.

Its currently fitted with the Concert II unit so adding a glovebox CD changer would be fairly easy.

I was under the impression that as the Symphony included a 6 disk changer in the unit I could plug a Dension ice-link into the spare port in the back. As the Concert will have a 6 disc changer plugged into this port I can't connect my iPod. Is this correct?

Elephant said they would insure the car but the factory fitted options would not be covered including the leather, cruise control, light package etc.... If the car was written off or stolen i'd lose the value of the options as they would only give me the value of the basic car.

Privilege will cover all the options at no extra cost provided they are listed and better still will give me a brand new car if any claim results in a total loss in year one....and all that for £370.

As it's something easily rectified by the dealer I wouldn't do anything as drastic as reject the car, but I would expect compensation. If it was a major factory fit option missing (like a sunroof or the wrong colour) it would be more sensible to reject the car.

It is still possible to upgrade to the DVD SatNav from the single height unit so don't worry about that.

I didn't miss my CD changer when I swapped it for the iPod link anyway.

My Sportback is due at the dealers tomorrow and like you I had lots of options specified and I'm just hoping they didn't **** the order up!

Its not what you ordered, and even if you have some of the mods suggested, you will always think its not what I wanted ..................
I think you should seriously consider rejecting the car.

Was the order you signed correct or was it missing off that?

The order I signed was correct, the dealer entered the wrong system when ordering. They admitted it was thier mistake.

Dealer will be contacting me later today to say how they will rectify the situation. If I don't get a satisfactory response I may reject the car but I trust we can come to some arrangement that suits me.

I'm growing on the idea of having the Concert II and multichanger, I think it looks better.

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that as the Symphony included a 6 disk changer in the unit I could plug a Dension ice-link into the spare port in the back. As the Concert will have a 6 disc changer plugged into this port I can't connect my iPod. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Elephant said they would insure the car but the factory fitted options would not be covered including the leather, cruise control, light package etc.... If the car was written off or stolen i'd lose the value of the options as they would only give me the value of the basic car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, they'll only give you the book value anyway, and you always negotiate with them. Also, seeing as though extras are worth diddly squat the second you drive off the forecourt, it makes no difference.

Don't get stressed by some spotty 18yr old call centre knob from Swindon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Re Elephant, I am with Admiral (same company). They have a standard parts clause which means that in the case of write off, they will replace (in first year anyway) with a standard car unless you have notified them of any changes. For repairs, technically they would only replace standard parts e.g. a standard rear bumper or bootlid rather than one with a bodykit or rear s-line spoiler if you have not informed them.

They do insure extras. Not to do so would mean that they would lose almost all of their motor insurance business!

Problem for me at the time was they had no knowledge of a 3dr 3.2 2004 s-line manual - so it was logged as Quattro Sport and they noted "external changes" i.e. wheels and spolier and "internal changes" i.e. part leather, cdx6, xenons etc etc etc. This loaded the premium by about £20. I think they do now have most of the s-line variants as options now as they have become more popular over the last 18 months. On the phone they wanted me to list every extra but then run out of space on their screen! Online, you simply note internal and external as above if none of the other boxes do the job.

DSG is auto in their language.

With Elephant/Admiral/Diamond for the girls - it is well worth doing an internet quote as my renewal came through £260 more than the same quote on-line! They then matched it. The Quattro Sport option was much more expensive than the S-line for some reason despite being the same car! And Sportbacks were slightly cheaper. The bizarre world of insurance logic!

Personally i found that privilage worked out better for me! And no you don't have to be posh to be privilaged!!!!!!

Also Worse I would except anything other than what you ordered it's there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif up let them take the pain not you!

The dealer has agreed to install a glovebox CD changer for the Concert II. I was 50/50 at the time of ordering and I think the Concert looks better than the Symphony. It will also be easier to upgrade the headunit if I decide the sound quality needs improving.

I've managed to get them to throw in a freebee and have got a discount on the car. I'm happy with that.

Should get the car tomorrow afternoon.

Glad to hear you got a satisfactory outcome. Enjoy your new A3.

Personally I preffered the look of the concert and see ing as I don;t have an cassettes it seemed a bit stupid to ruin the look of the dash (IMHO of course) for a credit card holder!