URGENT!!!!!! Fuel cooler leak

yacobwood

Reaction score
Hi, my 2007 a3 2.0 tdi (170) has started leaking water from the fuel cooler today. It's a slow drip. My question is, is it safe to drive until I can get it replaced and where does this take the water from?

Thanks

I wouldnt use it to be honest,its not cooled with water its just run through various cores in the finned unit under the car which catches the air etc as you drive

Ahhhhh thanks for that. Load of my mind. Its 100% water dripping and the air con has gone a bit crap. Could be that....

Hi, my 2007 a3 2.0 tdi (170) has started leaking water from the fuel cooler today. It's a slow drip. My question is, is it safe to drive until I can get it replaced and where does this take the water from?

Thanks

Hi, I just had the same problem last week on my 1.9 TDI, my local indie sorted it. tried changing the fuel pipes from the cooler back the tank first (£65 for cooler pipe 'kit'), leak still present so ended up having a new cooler (£120) fitted as well, 1.5 hrs labour involved = £276 total bill :(

my leak was very slight, and only seemed to start after maybe an hour of being parked up. i thought was air con water at first, but after smelling it was diesel!

best of luck getting it sorted.

the annoying thing is they hardly ever get used unless your low on fuel and ragging it on the hottest day of the year

Mine is 100% water and since leach76 said no water is envolved, im fairly confident its the air con now. gonna get it looked at soon tho

Its coming from around the Fuel Cooler area. Its pooling in the plastic cover and dripping about 10 cm in front of the fuel cooler. Air con is now hot.....

Been told by a garage it's condensation from the aircon unit. I'm unconvinced due to the amount it dumps each day

Yes, the aircon condensate depends upon the level of humidity. On a hot and humid day, quite a lot of water will condense out, and drip under the car. On a cooler dry day, very little will show up. In other words, the aircon in-car unit will ring out the water from the air within the car as it cools the air down, and lets it drip underneath. That in itself is nothing to worry about.