A3 - 0 Vs CTR - 0

Mark_N

Reaction score
Oh yes...who says diesels are slow off the mark!?

Last night when joining a motorway I was beside a CTR (model before last). Feck it I thought...I'll give him a go and see if he bites.

Lights go green and I get a smooth start with no spinning or wheel hop, I'm gunning it and so is he.

Just before the motorway opens up properly I'm a car ahead and what can he do??? Beeps his horn in frustration cause he couldn't get past!! I laughed so much.

Right up to just before 100 (kms or mph you make up your mind!) he was only a car behind but he was not getting past, full stop.

So all in all, evenly matched up to 100 it would seem anyway.

I was proud of my little oil burner.

Its all down to Torque :

Those Ole CTR have only a few LBS of Torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif unless their engine is spinning on the red line it all no go !

DERV 1 - Petrol 0

Good one mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

makes it all worth while.

The best bit was just the beeping....made my day. He was so sick that he couldn't get near.

[ QUOTE ]

Last night when joining a motorway I was beside a CTR (model before last). Feck it I thought...I'll give him a go and see if he bites.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a CTR?

Civic type r Eeef.

Nice one Mark, all 186 BHP of derv. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I thought it was a citroen one of those saxo things.

Similiar name, there the Saxo VTR and VTS, but god knows what they stand for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yes...who says diesels are slow off the mark!?

Lights go green and I get a smooth start with no spinning or wheel hop, I'm gunning it and so is he.

Just before the motorway opens up properly I'm a car ahead and what can he do??? Beeps his horn in frustration cause he couldn't get past!! I laughed so much.

Right up to just before 100 (kms or mph you make up your mind!) he was only a car behind but he was not getting past, full stop.

So all in all, evenly matched up to 100 it would seem anyway.

I was proud of my little oil burner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha ! This explains your mpg figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I bet the CTR driver was well p@*sed off !! I had a few run in with CTR in my superchipped 150pd - similar story to yours - it's all about the torque - on a very long straight though it may have been a different story with all those revs he has to play with but he would always have to be in the right gear - I love fast diesels makes whipping someone even more satisfying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yeh sadly there was no trouncing to be done on my part. I would've liked it even more to be a new CTR to really see.

He couldn't get past anyway that's the main thing and when I got to pull into the outside lane he got stuck behind the car behind me so I was well and truly able to pull away then!!

Don't ya just love lane hoggers!!

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good value for money and now seeing modded versions around my way.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are flippin everywhere round here.... starting to look a little too commonplace for my liking....

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty good value for money and now seeing modded versions around my way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but Insurance companies are getting wise to them, I was (for my sins) considering one but the insurance was very high, opted for the A3 instead....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I looked at on 04 plate CTR last year and was tempted - purely because of the bhp/£ factor. Great fun to drive, and I guess for 16k you get a lot of performance for your money.

But opted for the German in the end - the Honda's interior just felt cheap, and isn't a patch on the A3s.

When you consider residuals, brand, build quality etc etc the Honda just doesn't cut it...

I too have come very close to buying a CTR on a couple of occasions, great value for money IMO but a bit of a pain around town with hard suspension and nil torque to speak of - but on the open road the engine is a real gem - well worth taking one for a test drive just for the grin factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think he means the quality of the interior Bowfer......

civic_type_r_interior_2.jpg

audi3.jpg

Got to say I agree, residuals seem very strong when you look at the prices on the forecourts plus build quality is superb, they may use some cheaper plastics but they will not go wrong, the wife covered 72K in 18 months in one of the old shape1.8 VTI - not a murmur - superb car only thing to fault it was a small petrol tank.

I may even look at the new one when it comes out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bowfer nobody is saying there aren't good reasons why the cars/interiors differ but the guy said the build quality was different and it's true....as pointed out in the pictures!! Not everyone involved in this discussed may know what the interior of a CTR is like.

Adam - I'm sure you have no problem passing the A3 but it's not remapped!

[ QUOTE ]

Adam - I'm sure you have no problem passing the A3 but it's not remapped!

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the interior of the CTR's but I agree the actual build quality is better in the A3. The positioning of the gear stick in the CTR is magic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Over at the CTR forum we have some modded CTRs which I am sure would be a match for a remapped A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can someone post a picture of the interior of a Bentley ?

So I can say the A3 interior looks cheap.

Same pointless comparison.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

I'm sure a standard current model CTR is a match for a remapped A3, nevermind a modded CTR.

The one I had a little tussle with was a 98 Jap import by the looks of it. Most of those ones have something done to them under the bonnet.

As I said earlier in the thread a nice comparison would've been the current CTR...they're 200bhp yeh? So I'd be 10-15bhp down but have a lot more torque so it'd be still a fair match I reckon...

Bowfer here ya go...Conti GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

2005-Bentley-Continental-GT-pic-12-1628400.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a standard current model CTR is a match for a remapped A3, nevermind a modded CTR.

The one I had a little tussle with was a 98 Jap import by the looks of it. Most of those ones have something done to them under the bonnet.

As I said earlier in the thread a nice comparison would've been the current CTR...they're 200bhp yeh? So I'd be 10-15bhp down but have a lot more torque so it'd be still a fair match I reckon...

Bowfer here ya go...Conti GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

2005-Bentley-Continental-GT-pic-12-1628400.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the Audi interior to that over cluttered pompuss effort for the chaufer driven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The Civic/A3 comparison is just so pointless I simply cannot believe anyone brought it up ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

How can you even expect a car priced between £10k and £16k to compete with a car priced between £16k and £27k ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Bowfer - when I asked the rhetorical question "How much does a CTR cost" that was my point exactly.

Should anyone purchase a 911GT3 in the future, perhaps they could regale us with more tales of derring-do, perhaps featuring straight line victories against VW Polos?

IMO there is only one place to do your race talking and that is on the racetrack. Perhaps a group hug at the Nordschleife is on the cards?

Jungle I wouldn't have expected anything less from you...

yawn! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

And a Porsche to a Polo comparison is HARDLY the same...

Point is, bhp wise they're similar cars and that was the POINT of the whole thing. Sorry you missed that.

To the rest of you, damn right that GT interior is muck for the money...which just goes to show the Audi is................................

Fair enough Sevosa but I thought your comments about the interior and,especially,Honda were unfair.

You could get a CTR and a perfectly good second used car for what you paid for your A3,after all.

right, i just raced a new ('04) ctr and a 3.2 A3 around the nordschlieffe this morning, one lap in each car. Firstly, the CTR has much more vibration than the A3. Secondly the A3 sounds much better. On the first lap, the A3 won by 1.7 seconds, on the second lap, it won by 4. I know that its a different A3 to the one here, bu the power is still simlar in the new CTR and the A3. The second lap i was driving the CTR and was with the A3 all the way, leading for most of the lap before running wide. The lack of torque is noticeable in the CTR, but i was driving an auto, i will try and do a re run this afternoon in a manual as this may offer better performance as i'll be able to keep the revs higher. I'll also do a lap in a 2.0TDI and 2.0TFSI, when (if?) i unlock them;) , you gotta love GT4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough Sevosa but I thought your comments about the interior and,especially,Honda were unfair.

You could get a CTR and a perfectly good second used car for what you paid for your A3,after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true. But hey, "just my opinion."

[ QUOTE ]
I'll also do a lap in a 2.0TDI

[/ QUOTE ]

make sure it's running a remap or else the comparison won't be the same!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
right, i just raced a new ('04) ctr and a 3.2 A3 around the nordschlieffe this morning, one lap in each car.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a second there you had me green with envy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif