Remap...???? DONE!!!!!

Sam Dawson

Reaction score
Im sure you are thinking oh great another remap thread.
But as im new to the modifying scene i had to start a thread to say how amazing a remap feels.
It was definetly worth the six hour round trip to R-Tech.
Really didnt think that a chip in the ECU would transform my car!
I will also say top marks to Nick and his mob. They have done a brilliant job. They were also very welcoming and a friendly bunch! Even brang me back a McDonalds haha :yum:
Now onto the next mod??? RNS-E? S-line bumpers? Hmmm?

Glad to hear your enjoying it, I should also be going to R-Tech in the summer to get my car remapped.

Have a 2.0tdi sportback, now 184bhp :drool:
£250. Worth every penny!

wow thats a bargain! its only 20 mins from me - may have to book myself in! I have a 2.0 tdi sport

Too true. Still saved myself money considering i could of got it done an hour up the road!

whats their adress? werent you worried about the clutch and turbo? i want to remap my 2.0tdi too to 180hp but worried about the clutch etc as its new to me

Just google r-tech performance fella. Has the address on main website page.
I thought that if I went for stage 2 I would have to change clutch. I guess I will have to see how it goes.
Don't fancy forking out for a new one of those! Rather spend it on more useful things lol!

Got my car remapped 4 weeks ago and my turbo blew up on wednesday nite so be carefull people!!
637c3855.jpg

must have more than one place then...... my cars on 132k but i dont see how gettin a remap can make the turbo go..... understand when your getting more power bottom end to pull off it can make the clutch slip and wear out more

Ian how did that happen? did you go for stage 2? or from 140bhp to 180bhp? im so tempted to have it done but first i need to know when and how the clutch and turbo wear off :)

I just had a decent offer from another forum if anyones interested .
Expert Tuning: During February ExpertTuning is offering VW Audi Forum members
remaps for £225 for a single vehicle booking and £200 each for multiple vehicle bookings
Hope this is allowed?
not bad anyone heard of them ?

Daws88 was it you that was leaving as we arrived?
Sorry Nick had to to rush off if so, we had to see the main man as he had been dealing with the problems for us

That turbo up there looks to have had UFO damage rather than overspin.

Yes it was. Sorry I didn't stop and say hello, had to rush off to beat the traffic home.

must have more than one place then...... my cars on 132k but i dont see how gettin a remap can make the turbo go..... understand when your getting more power bottom end to pull off it can make the clutch slip and wear out more

Only one R-Tech Remaps and thats the one in Hinckley and thats me Nick Gower.

As for TDI Turbos blowing there are some poor quality tuners who just wack the boost right up which gives the turbos a really hard time, on our spec1 140pd remaps we raise the boost map by around 200 - 250mb the bulk of the power gain is made up on the fuel Nm torque maps.

Issues that cause the 140pd turbos to fail early are, both the lower intercooler charge pipes seals leaking really bad which causes the turbo to work harder and over speed (catch them while the are weeping), blocked EGR valves, poor oil quality, and thenuneducated driver error which means driving flat out from cold and/or not letting the turbo spool/cool down after a goos thrashing.
But saying that there have been 100s of stock car with less than 50k spit there turbos within there warranty period.

Too many hit and run tuners out there who just flash a map take money and wave you on your merry way. A good visual health check, smoke test, diagnostics and dyno a datalogging session can show up most underlay faults which could cause issues once the car has been remapped. We spend more time making sure the car is upto scratch in stock condition than we spend remapping the car. I think I end up sending around 10 customers per month on there merry way without a map loaded due to under laying issues where I point blank refuse to even think about loading a remap. Best be safe than sorry imo.

@ Daws88

Thanks for the feedback m8 it all help keep our prices low..lol Any problems or questions you know where we are.

Reactions: ~RS~ and 55_UK
Got my car remapped 4 weeks ago and my turbo blew up on wednesday nite so be carefull people!!
637c3855.jpg

105PD? These dont like too much boost the best way to tune is just with fuel, so not a huge kick of power just linear gains across the whole rpm range.

Looks like the comp wheel clipped the housing and stalled, then the turbine spun the bolt off the shaft. Just make sure you clean the intercooler and find the comp wheel bolt.

Did your tuner check all the common places for boost leaks? If not just make sure you get a good health check before your start running around in the car again.

Nick

Last edited:
Went for a ride in Daws88 car earlier, massively impressed with the gains...nice and smooth...well done Sam now I HAVE to get mine done...! cheers mate.

@ Daws88

Thanks for the feedback m8 it all help keep our prices low..lol Any problems or questions you know where we are.

Not a problem Nick, thanks for the fantastic job. If I ever need anything done I will certainly be back.
You guys done a magic job! All the best and take care.

Yes Ed I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unreal In the difference isn't it?! Get your **** up to hinckley sharpish boy!

Daws88 that is some serious gain! Most I have ever seen from other mappers is 175bhp.

Have you got anything else done to your car?

When I get around to getting a 2.0TDI I may take a trip up to R-tech, not too far from Birmingham...

Dont worry mate, give me till end of month/beginning March and I'll be booked in..

Daws88 that is some serious gain! Most I have ever seen from other mappers is 175bhp.

When I get around to getting a 2.0TDI I may take a trip up to R-tech, not too far from Birmingham...

It is some serious power akbarirfan!
That's the first thing I've done to the car. Wil be the RNS next!

Yeh defo Ed! I will tag along if you like.

LOL there are some tuners making claims and quotes of 200+bhp 320+lbft from just a stage 1 on the 140PDs, I thought my claim was low..

i would have booked my self in but live in london at the moment, so Nick what do you say about clutches wearing out after remap on 140bhp bkd engines thanks

DiKapo it is only a couple of hours past London, thoroughly worth the drive up if I were you pal!

Just booked mine in getting it done on monday by angel tuning ive heard good things.

LOL there are some tuners making claims and quotes of 200+bhp 320+lbft from just a stage 1 on the 140PDs, I thought my claim was low..

Oh right, I have only really checked on the sites mentioned on here and not seen any quote a figure of greater than 175bhp for the 140PD.

So is the £250 for the remap and RR before an after?

Also what is your take on wearing clutches due to a remap? And more specifically DSG gearboxes?

Would I notice any improvement in mpg in the 140PD?

Thanks!

Clutchs dont "wear" due to remap, but if the pressure plate has lost most of its clamping force over 70-80k then there is a good chance it might slip after a remap. If you have a brand new oem clutch unit then there is no reason that the clutch wont last for 80k with the remap on the car. Its all down to clamping force wear on the springs not friction plate.
Some friction plates can glaze and start to slip, but by slipping it against the eddy brake on our dyno can get rid of the slip for a few thousand miles.
The 105PD clutchs tend to suffer with clamping force losses around 50-60k with remaps, where the 140pd start to have issues between 70-100k.
As for DGS boxes I have never had any issues with these in any car, even 450lbft in a TFSI Mk5 and Hybrid 140pd 385lbft.

As for the MPG its all down the the driver, a remap will use more fuel each rpm, but by learning to short shift and take advantage of the extra low down grunt you can easy return 15% MPG extra. (drive like a mini cab drive not a racing driver)

With any tuning mod if you have a weak part on the car then the extra power will highlight it and could cause it to fail straight away.