ARBs again (Sorry !!)

Blunteh

Reaction score
My ARB casing's have split (S3's in Fontain being serviced and remapped).

I want to keep it on 17s as I prefer the softer ride, would the H&R ARBs still be recommended ?
http://www.dpmautostyling.co.uk/cat...fo&cPath=379_388_521_562_444&products_id=1460

(I can't afford to upgrade the whole setup right now so I want to to replace with a better part as I go along)

I was thinking of the R32 ARBs but understand they're a bit too stiff if you're staying on 17s (as per EvilEss's sticky (just kiddin Ess)

Cheers DPM... will them being on a softer setting negate any advantage over the stock items ?

(When I say I prefer the softer ride... I mean I want to avoid the bone shaking I used to suffer from in an 03 Honda CTR on B roads... not that i want it to stay too wallowy on corners :) )

Either way with just uprating the ARB's you wouldn't get a bone shaking ride. Even on the softer setting you'll still lose that stupid amount of body roll that S3's seem to have. We normally put them on the stiffer setting for track cars and not everyday drivers.

I dont get this current trend for fitting R32 ARB's.

There are manufacturers like Neuspeed that put proper R&D money into coming up with a solution thats better than standard.

Then there are people who will happily replace their stock item with someone that was not designed for the task at hand, and in fact, unless its the same item, no R&D has taken place to qualify that it is indeed any good at all.

Personally I'd buy an aftermarket set and fit something that was specifically designed to improve the car, not specifically designed to be a cost effective and middle of the road solution for another, completely different car.

Dave_Bayern said:
I dont get this current trend for fitting R32 ARB's.

There are manufacturers like Neuspeed that put proper R&D money into coming up with a solution thats better than standard.

Then there are people who will happily replace their stock item with someone that was not designed for the task at hand, and in fact, unless its the same item, no R&D has taken place to qualify that it is indeed any good at all.

Personally I'd buy an aftermarket set and fit something that was specifically designed to improve the car, not specifically designed to be a cost effective and middle of the road solution for another, completely different car.

What he said! :thumbsup:

So what is better H&R's or the Neuspeed ones?

I am still running standard suspension and wheels, would i need to change anything else to uprate the ARB's?

Cheers

scib4 said:

I am still running standard suspension and wheels, would i need to change anything else to uprate the ARB's?

Cheers

Well...there will never be a definative 'better' as different driving styles, roads used, car set up etc all come into play.

But I'd still go for Neuspeed ARBs on standard suspension if you really must...but fitting ANY aftermarket ARB will push your rear dampers beyond the limit of what they can control and possibly give you a fright.

I also cannot see why anyone wants to fit a front ARB designed to work with that R32 engine, as it is heavier and sits higher up, and forward of the driveline - completely different set of problems to the S3.

I would opt for a well researched set of ARBs designed for the S3/TT rather than those for anything with the V6 in the nose....and preferably something that's been proven to work, and work well.

scib4 said:

Cheers

Should have been more specific...

I'd go for Neuspeeds.
And I'd fit uprated dampers at the same time...even if you stick to standard springs.

Playing about with the set up and tyre pressures, you'll get a good set up on the standard 17s.

The fella at Fontain didn't seem too keen on H&R... So I'm leaning towards the Neuspeeds... But if either option requires new dampers that ups the expence.

How much for a set of Bilsteins ?

Arg... that's gonna be too much for me this soon after the remap, replacement stock disks n pads, ECU replacement (a month or 2 ago), airbag sensor replacement, getting the stupid headlights to stop looking for dropped coins, my wishbone bushes being shot and causing front tyre wear so I will need new front tyres early etc. etc.

I think I'm going to have to get the Neuspeeds and just be careful until I can afford the dampers and springs.... I'm loath to spend money on stock replacents when I can upgrade.

Oh woe is me :E

Well I have the R32 Arb's on mine but also had the blue Haldex upgrade done at the same time :)

The first time I drove the car in the wet into a roundabout I nearly crapped myself :Flush:

4 wheel drive my *** :no:

I had less understeer on my Ibiza Tdi.

I don't know how much difference the R32 ARB's have made as the Haldex is probably doing most of the work now(I only changed the ARB's on independent advise) but the car is so much better now and drives more like a 4 wheel drive should :icon_thumright:

I decided to go for the Neuspeeds in the end...

neuspeedarb3.gif
arb1.gif
arb2.gif

Oooooh laaa laaaa what a difference !!!

My car feels fantastic, it's like someone taught it how to tie up it's shoelaces ! Really solid (although as expected showing up the Audi dampers a bit.... it feels quite springy). I can't really afford new springs and dampers yet so I decided to just drive round the springyness until I can make the next upgrade (it's not too bad really, I'm making is sound worse than it is... it's just a niggle). The A2 courtesy car I had for the day reminded me how bad a car can feel, in comparison, even with a bit of springyness the S3 is an utter joy. I've never modded any of my cars before so this is all a learning experience for me... It's a bit addictive. :O

I had the front wishbones replaced at the same time as the bushes were shot.

dsc00503smlue8.jpg

dsc00505smlze4.jpg

dsc00506smlyt7.jpg

As you can see, I got some dirt on them on the way home... :( I'd better take the bus from now on !

(and yes... my back brake disks are a bit lipped :( (adds new rear brakes to wishlist)