A3 Chassis Number/Log Book difference

A3steve

Reaction score
Hi to all,
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who has just purchased an A3.
I had a good look over it and its a nice car, However when i checked the Chassis number, there is a discrepancy with 3 digits.

The descrepency is with the ZZZ digits of the Number, On the Car its ZZZ and on the Log book its 222. The Car was imported from Germany early in its life.

I believe all Audis have the ZZZ Digits within the Chassis number.

The car was bought from a member of his family, Who has offered to have the car back, but he wants to keep it.

My question is if he fills in the correct Chassis number on the Logbook, will they change it without issue or the car have to be inspected or Q plated??

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Steve

I suppose a discrepancy like that could easily enough be an admin error, particularly as its an import and somebody at the dvla will have processed the forms. Shouldnt be too much to worry about but i dont know how you would get it changed, if at all. How long has the previous owner had it?

Having a quick look thrugh my Service History after buying the car and a few bits in that have a discrepancy with the Z's and that was an Audi garage. If they can do it I'm sure the DVLA can do the same.
Why not take it to a Stealers and ask them to look it up and see what its registered as with them?

Thanks for the replys,
When the Car had its Cam Belt changed, the Registration was put through the Audi Database, but it didnt show up, the guy said it was nothing to worry about and happens often. The cars been in the family for most of its life and serviced by a family friend.

The early service history is Audi, The rest other with all audi part reciepts.

I can see why the reg wouldnt show up on their computer as its an import, but i would think the chasis number should be traceable.

Perhaps the dealers work on a Uk only chasis number list, but im sure you could get them to check

It depends, it may well have been there under the chassis no. Audi Newcastle couldn't find my car either and its got a Full Audi History. Turned out it was because I have my own plate on there and it could be that the owner before your family got it, had his own plate too.

I think if you take the docs to a vehicle licencing office they will sort it out.
Its clearly an error, the chassis whould be zzz not 222. none of them ever had 222 where the z's are as far as I know!

The Audi service computer can be a bit hit and miss. Unfortunately it relies upon the poor old humans working at the dealers actually hitting the correct computer keys in the right order. Usual problem of rubbish typed in = rubbish out.

As I was buying my car, I did a service check, nothing showed up. With help from the seller we found that the registration had been mistyped into the service computer and that the entire service record for my car was actually under a completely fictitious car.

Great, eh!

Back onto thread - I'm sure your local DVLA office will help you out as 2's and Z's are easily mixed up. Probably just a case of filling a form in and getting a new V5 issued.

Found this:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054
  • you should notify any changes or corrections by completing the 'changes section' on your vehicle registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C)
  • for changes other than those listed in the 'changes section', you should underline the details that have changed and write the new information next to them together with a covering letter explaining the changes
  • sign and date the declaration box
  • send the registration document or certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA
  • following major changes your vehicle may be called in for inspection by a DVLA local office
He's decided to fill in the changes section and post it off with a covering letter and see what happens.

Thanks again

Steve

A3steve said:
Found this:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054
  • you should notify any changes or corrections by completing the 'changes section' on your vehicle registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C)
  • for changes other than those listed in the 'changes section', you should underline the details that have changed and write the new information next to them together with a covering letter explaining the changes
  • sign and date the declaration box
  • send the registration document or certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA
  • following major changes your vehicle may be called in for inspection by a DVLA local office
He's decided to fill in the changes section and post it off with a covering letter and see what happens.

Thanks again

Steve

That should sort it mate!