chassis/engine number...

GT130

Reaction score
Need to check these against the v5/hpi cert when i pick up the car - save me hunting round for them can anyone tell me where they are located on the s3 please..

Thanks

oh there is also a sticker in the boot , normally on the passenger side under the carpet that gives details of the car

Those places, plus should match to the sticker on the inside of the service book and MOST IMPORTANTLY on the scuttle panel of the bulkhead (engine bay under windscreen) through a plastic window in the black trim. BUT be warned, it is easy to disguise alterations to this through the dull plastic window, so you would be advised to carefully (because they afre very brittle) prise the palstic window up to see the actual number stamped in the metal.
IF you car is a later post facelift one, the number should look like it is stamped in a soft metal strip like a piece of insulating tape width along the bulkhead, and the numbers should not be rusty or anything.
But on the earlier cars, it is stamped straight into the metal of the bulkhead and due to age, there may be some rust in the letters.
If you have a later car without the soft metal stip for the number to be stamped in, do some further checking to make sure its 100% legit.

Thanks people - same or similar to the VW Passat/Golf etc.

I noted the sticker on the left hand side of the boot which confirmed to me that it's the 210 model.

What about the engine number - how much of a pain is this to locate on the S3 - presumably take the top cover off and shine a torch on the front of the block???

The engine pre-fix number is stamped on the front, left corner of the head and is easy to see with the engine cover off.

BAM-225
AMK-210
APY-210 (early)

As for full engine code i'm not sure.

Engine number on S3 is USUALLY only a sticker on the cambelt cover, with a barcode on it. You can see it if you squnint under the cchargepipe are on the cambelt cover. Also on some, it is also on the top of the head, under the engine cover. Remove the engine cover, look at the head, if no obvious barcode sticker, look under the chargepipe area on the cambelt. IIRC engine cover needs to be off for both.