Anyone fitted turbo intake themselves

nfluester

Reaction score
I want to add one of theese to the car:

65.10.88.jpg

I wanted to have a go at fitting it myself! I am resonably good with a socket set and have access to a set of ramps if needed.

Has anyone fitted this them selves and if so what was involved?

do you attack it from above or underneath?

is it an easy job or am I opening a can of worms?

Thanks

ok did some digging arround and found that there is a Samco pipe available for the Golf, in theory this should be the same fit.

DSCF0008.JPG

aad.sized.jpg

also found this nice description of how to fit:

"There are various things attached to the intake hose. Dump valve n75, plus a couple of other pipes. you'll need new clips for each of the holes in the hose, as the originals are 1 time use only.
The standard tip is held on the turbo with an cap head screw which is accessable from under the car. Once removed the tip just puls out. Rotating it a bit helps to get it off.
There's a hard coolant pipe that runs along the side of the block and you may need to remove the bracket that holds it in place to get the new pipe on. It slots over the flange on the turbo quite well, and is held in place with a jubillee clip. Took me about 35 minutes to install, and then took me about an hour to get the coolant pipe bracket back on. It's a ******, so if you can get away without removing it, do"

apparently the coolent pipe clips only need to be losend to fit it.

I have found some more pictures here:

http://coredump.fi/forge/gallery/18tintake

there are also pctures of the other Samco pipes for the 1.8T here:

http://coredump.fi/forge/gallery/samco

it looks as if they are cheaper than the Neuspeed £119 +VAT however they don't look like OE parts so I guess I should tell the insurance!

ooohhhh, id be tempted for that samco hose too. It looks like it will provide better air flow so therefore should increase performance a bit! Let me know if you go for the samco hose mate, id be interested to hear about it as i may well do it too!

Can't claim to have fitted it myself but watched it being fitted instead and it didn't look too hard a job. The technician put my car on a ramp and attacked it from both above and below.

The hardest thing seemed to be getting access to it which involved moving all the piping from out of the way e.g. DV valve and tubing plus engine cover. The only thing he cursed was how tight the thick rubber pipe had got itself lodged into the top of the inlet pipe. Even after undoing the metal clip from around the top of the inlet pipe it took some painstaking effort to gently prise (with screwdriver)the too apart so not to damage either item. The reverse procedure was a doddle with everything just requiring a push into place. Estimated time 45mins. I have attached some pics of ABT's version of the pipe (silver) compared with the stock original (black) - pricey at £200./ Alternatively MTM will supply yet another version for £100. Good luck ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I put above, £200 plus postage and shipping (£13 approx)since they have to be ordered in from ABT Germany.

blimey so much choice!

I have been doing some more investigation on the Samco as that is my preferrd choice due to the fact that it is the biggest and replaces everything back to the MAF.

I read on a golf site that the 99T golf has an AGU engine code and all they had to do was bung one of the holes.

So I rang forge and asked if it would fit an A3 and the response was a bit vague!

"Might fit, might not buy one and see, so long as you don't damage it u can get a refund"

I then rang 3 other places one of which didn't know it existed and they sell samco /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif anyway no one could confirm either way.

so I rang Samco themselves, spoke to a lovely lady that said "you need to speak to forge about fitment of hoses!"

So I am now in quandry, do I try the samco or just go with the neuspeed as it is a direct replacement?

the other slightly worrying piece of info I picked up was that it can be a real ****** to get the old pipes off apparently there have been a few ocations when they needed to be cut off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fatlad - is there no breather pipe on the new TIP? and that black one looks very different from the squashed one at the top of the page, what engine code is yours?

I'm sure if someones fitted it on a golf it's posted somewhere, and it certainly looks like it may be worth investigating further...the Samco hose does look good.

In response to 97-R 1.8T ; There is no breather tip on the ABT version. The black pipe is my original which I'd expect to see in yours since my car is a 97 R reg (registered in December), engine code AGU. Later cars had a silver pipe fitted probably the one you refer too. Like I said (and you have discovered) seperating feed pipe from inlet pipe is a real ******. The feed pipe has a metal end and like I witnessed can be prised apart yet it's tricky so take your time. I've gotta admit that Samco jobbie looks equally as good if not better, there's no doubting it bigger bore alright !

You may want to check with Awsome GTI for info on the Samco/Forge TIP another problem you may have is finding one as theyre usually back ordered ive been waiting for 3 weeks now with still no sign