Tyre wear

speedyp

Reaction score
How many miles would you expect to get from a set of Brigstone's on an S3??

What is everyone's opinion of the best wearing tyre which gives a decent level of grip??

Had my S3 for just over a month, so not needing a change just yet!! Just thinking ahead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On the first set I had RE040, I did em in 7K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, boss wasn't too happy though.

Anyway, had Toyos after that and they were 13K before I changed them. Now on to Goodyears F1s at the mo and so far so good. Resonable wear so far but the traction is awesome in both dry and especially in the wet, I thought the Toyos were good but these F1s are something else and were cheaper as well. I have F1 GSD2 on the rear and F1 GSD3 on the front and they make an awesome combination to drive with.

Plus they look the dogs.

How many miles have you done with the F1's so far??

My Bridgestones didn't last very long - bought the car at 9k and they were illegal by 20k

Got a complete set of Pirelli P6000s after that and the fronts are almost down to the markers now at 34k - the rears still have plenty of life. (Initial findings of the Pirellis were that they were quieter and had more grip than the Bridgestones)

Thinking of going for some Pirelli PZero Rossos or some Goodyear F1s next...

I've done about 1K on the front and 3K on the rears, the wear seems reasonable, well you can't really notice any. I haven't been caining it around however on those occasions were you want to find out what your traction is like I have been very very impressed, a good progressive turn in and good feeling through the wooden steering. With the GSD2 they have a good disperation pattern compared to the GSD3 and seem to provide that extra level of grip at the rear, so making the car handle like it is on rails. They come in at £90 a corner.

I know AL B has got a set on his S3 so I'd be intrigued to hear what his thoughts are as well...AL B?

On the Pirellis I have heard that the P0's are good but are always at the expensive end of the market for me to look at.

Not wanting to 'Hijack' the thread but do you find that S3's wear the outside edge of the tyre first? or do you get even wear across the tyre?

6 months down the line a have almost bald outside edge and at least 6mm on the rest of the tyre.

Sounds like a bit or roundabout action there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have had severe wear occur on the insides of the tyre, this happened on a few occasions and was cured after a 4 wheel alingment performed by Audi. The problem was a multitude of things they said from ramps to alloys.

But on the outer edge that doesn't sound particulary good and could mean not enough air in the tyres or some serious rack issues.

My car had its original Bridgestones when I got it (1 year, 14,500) but they were illegal by then.

Since then I've had Dunlop's: one set lasted about 20k miles, second set has done 10k and they still has a fair bit of life in them (at least they did last time I looked at them!)

Whats the grip like with the Dunlops?
Especially in the wet??

I got through my first set of bridgestone RE040s in 6000 miles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif however it was only the inner edge that was worn below the TWIs.

I still had about 2.5 - 3mm of tread across the tyre but the inner 1/3 was bald and put down to frickin speed bumps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I bought my 02 225bhp S3 with 14k miles, to my delight it was fitted with Pirelli P-Zero Rossos 92y compound on the RS4 18" rims, on my first test drive of it I couldn't believe how much sharper it was over my previous 01 210bhp S3 which had Conti Sport on the Avus 17" rims.

I know the bigger rims have improved things and I think there was some chassis mods on the 225 model(any info on this anyone?) but with the Pirellis you can really feel the tyre working and providing the grip.

To get back to the topic wear wise I don't know if they were on the car from new but there's 21,200 miles on the car now and they've wore heavily in the middle on the fronts but amazingly still perform well, at 36psi!

A friend of mine got a Leon Cupra R 210bhp(although the rolling road he had it on in Spain read it was putting out 217bhp), it came Rosso's and he's raving about the tyres too, he raced in the Cupra championship this year and tells me that his road car isn't that far off his race model!

The Rossos just won a second Autocar tyre test two weeks ago so I can't wait to get a fresh set on mine soon and if they wear out in 12,000 miles I'd rather be happy for those twelve rather than miserable for 15,000 on the Continentals I had before.

Anyone else had Rossos or the special 100y compound that they put on the Gallardo????

Paul

02 Black S3 225bhp