Anyone played around with a chargecooler?

bigpapasmurf

Reaction score
Coming from the world of VX220s, Ive had a few dealings with high intake temperatures. The best way to get temps down in those is to use a chargecooler. Having looked at intercooler mods, I was wondering if anyone has used a chargecooler on an S3? I know theres a fair bit of space at the front and an intercooler is a simpler solution, but there would be less lag and better cooling from a chargecooler...

I think I asked similar previously, and my thread had less replies than this one :D great plan in my opinin, a T16 chargcooler from the 405, or the 2.5td xantia would be ideal. I was mainly looking into this to eliminate boost pipes movement with engine movement

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391972201932770
Maybe one of the engineers can tell us

This guy is using one...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-a3-quattro-tdi-re-shell-into-audi-tt225.html

...but other than that I don't know anyone else... Bill used one on the Lupo for a while but it really wasn't working and needed something much bigger...

Seems a lot of work for no appreciable gain, most peeps stick a decent FMIC and if they want the extra consistency go for WMI as this give charge cooling and increased performance potential...

Battery relocation would be on the list if serious about a charge cooler

<tuffty/>

Charge coolers will always be more efficient than an intercooler if designed properly. If not, then theyre a mess :p Agreed tuffty that they are a lot more complicated and if theres space, an intercooler will normally be grand. Ive had a look at the PWR coolers before and would love to get one of those integrated properly. Really low charge air volume would reduce lag and increase throttle response. Quite possibly more faff than is necessary though! ;)

reduce lag... bet you cant notice any difference..

myth

pumps go wrong..
air to air intercoolers dont

If space is the major constraint then yea charge cooler with decent sized flow, core, and pre rad and it will work well, but I would'nt put CC over FMIC having previously used CC myself.

keep it simple.
There's plenty of space in an S3 for decent sized fmic